• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2022

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
How many sports have an increasing age of debutants? Sport is a young persons game.
Australian Cricket has flipped the script and you could argue started back with Mike Hussey and then ushered in guys like Stuart Clarke who had a short and productive career as a veteran , Chris Rogers a few years ago and this summer Alex Carey and Scott Boland.

All great stories

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Hopefully there’s some form of U20s comp (or 19s) and he can play in that.
I know club rugby is a lot more civilised these days. Turn the clock back a few decades, there would be some tough old hands just itching to teach an upstart a few lessons.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Qld Premier Rugby thread reported they the Oates twins had moved to Sydney to play for Randwick.

Liam Wright’s instagram seems to indicate he’s spending some time with the Reds.
4A6305CF-1C15-473D-81EA-C82B7AE784CD.jpeg

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Australian Cricket has flipped the script and you could argue started back with Mike Hussey and then ushered in guys like Stuart Clarke who had a short and productive career as a veteran , Chris Rogers a few years ago and this summer Alex Carey and Scott Boland.

All great stories
Yeah but it doesn't change the fact that the average age of a professional sports person on debut is getting younger. For every Boland and Nesar there is a Richardson, Pucovski and Green. I'm not saying they can't debut older and have a good career. My point was in relation to the original comment saying that we should be holding players back so they don't debut until and older age.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah but it doesn't change the fact that the average age of a professional sports person on debut is getting younger. For every Boland and Nesar there is a Richardson, Pucovski and Green. I'm not saying they can't debut older and have a good career. My point was in relation to the original comment saying that we should be holding players back so they don't debut until and older age.
I think you’ve misinterpreted my post, which originated from a the discussion about Tom Lynagh’s development.

I agree that there is an increasing trend towards players playing professional rugby earlier, for a number of reasons. However if you look at other countries and other comps - NZ Rugby, Uk Rugby, French rugby, NRL, AFL, NBL, NFL etc I don’t see that we are seeing the anywhere near the prevalence of 18-21 year olds being part of regular match day squads the way we have seen in Australian rugby in the last 3 yrs. Off the top of my head guys like Petaia, Wilson, McReight, Bell, Tizzano, Nawaqanitwase, Harrison, Grealy, Thomas, Lolesio, Swain, Walton, Blyth, Hockings, Rodda, Salakai-Loto, Nonggorr, Nasser, Wright, Scott-Young, Hosea, Leota and a number of others all debuted and been regular parts of match day squads on or before they turned 21. There are hosts of others who have played as well, but not as often - guys like Pasotoa and Will Harris. Some people actually talk about how Hosea has been ‘held back. I don’t agee this is aligned with a wider trend across sport.

Of course some of these guys are precocious talents, but a lot of them are getting regular game time because of legacy issues with the previous 10 yrs of rugby (good and bad). I believe if you listen to comments from guys like Thorn, McKellar, Penney and others they recognise there was a need to go that way due to cost and some ‘clearing of the decks, but it would definitely by preferable for these guys to have a more solid footing in club rugby/pathways before they become regular super rugby players.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
It’s not the absence of a tier below super rugby creating this, it’s the exodus of senior players which is creating the vacuum, this is further exasperated by the need to sign young players earlier to secure them from competing codes.

A third tier would help give them extra game time, but I don’t junk it would drastically change the age composition.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
There are a range of issues - but we would be better off of it wasn’t as prevalent. Regardless of the issues. That was my point.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Age spread for Super Rugby squad seems pretty similar to NRL, although the numbers are for the Super Rugby 23 person matchday squad vs 30 man NRL squads.

0BAF272E-0A78-4489-BE55-4EA8F3835D3E.jpeg

821066B3-0CC4-4A9D-87E5-6DA0E20DAFDC.png

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
Good news on the sponsors front - there's now an official tortilla of the Queensland Reds!

The three-year partnership will see La Banderita provide the Reds with their deliciously authentic flour tortillas, helping to power the Reds scrum and backline to another winning season in 2022 and beyond.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Very good. They're a nice tortilla, although no wonder they can afford sponsorship deals, they're around triple the price of every other brand!

The private school dollars definitely needed if you're buying these. Maybe we'll get a discount though with a membership??

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Haha - I’m not sure that I should love that as much as I do.

Im kinda hoping the next sponsorship announced will be a 3 am kebab.
Imagine, full strength beers, burritos and a mariachi band playing when those drums used to be smacked.

Alas, it'll be Golds, cold Red Rooster and the PA announcer yelling......

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
Imagine, full strength beers, burritos and a mariachi band playing when those drums used to be smacked.
I'm thinking Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass.....y'know keep it classic and classy. Also keeping in chronological step with the dusting off of other late 60's / early 70's classics that have been adopted in recent times like Country Road and Sweet Caroline

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
It’s not the absence of a tier below super rugby creating this, it’s the exodus of senior players which is creating the vacuum, this is further exasperated by the need to sign young players earlier to secure them from competing codes.

A third tier would help give them extra game time, but I don’t junk it would drastically change the age composition.
Straight up cost thing right. You could have found four halfbacks better than Thomas last year. He will be better than all of them but due to the fact you can only afford 30 odd man squad you have to go with the future.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Jeff Miller stepping down as chairman of QRU, I’m guessing to announce a new one at the AGM in March.

Interestingly Miller was torn to shreds on these forums a few years back when he said he would like Thorn to be a 10 year coach of the Reds.

A few other directors and committee positions to become available as well.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Jeff Miller stepping down as chairman of QRU, I’m guessing to announce a new one at the AGM in March.

Interestingly Miller was torn to shreds on these forums a few years back when he said he would like Thorn to be a 10 year coach of the Reds.

A few other directors and committee positions to become available as well.

I don't think those thoughts were greatly out of context when Thorn was promoted - along with the immediate turmoil. Time has provided a different context. He'll be remembered well.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I don't think those thoughts were greatly out of context when Thorn was promoted - along with the immediate turmoil. Time has provided a different context. He'll be remembered well.
I think QRU worked out they needed stability and ensure thorns success by putting in decent experienced assistant coaches around him. Same strategy which been hallmark of success of brumbies. Likewise you look at the tahs and where they got to I assume (or hope) they are employing a similar strategy around Coleman and giving him time to develop as well as putting / keeping experienced assistants around him.