• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2022

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
There may even be some sway from RA about who plays 15 at the Reds. I know Thorn ultimately decides and will pick what works best for the Reds , but Rennie has mentioned a few times now he would like to see Petaia have a run at 15 and Thorn does seem open to the idea.

I hope Rennie does have some sort of influence with all the franchises. And I would hope that RA has told all the head coaches, nicely of course, that cooperation between the various levels of coaches will be highly regarded when future opportunities arise.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I generally find the Reds media coverage across various platforms to be great. Guys like Michael Atkinson (yes now employed by StanSports) have been pretty good at updating us on socials for a number of years.

Rugby was even getting decent front page coverage on Fox Sports at the end of last year. So I’m not fussed if the CourierMail doesn’t feature it.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
So aside from Asiata's broken arm in the trial, it looks like Mafi is in doubt for the first round:

I (jokingly) suggested they might be keeping a close eye on how Stephen Moore goes in the curtain raiser against Tonga, but he's starting to look like a real option.

Any more realistic alternatives for a medical joker? Does super rugby's perpetual bridesmaid Ed Craig get another call up?

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Think from Monday the pool of 30 non-contracted players on standby as Covid replacements for the comp will be known.
Not sure if this can be called on for other injuries?

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
Prefer the player with the good rugby brain to the athlete who make the wrong decision.
Jeans, Lynagh and Flook all show smart play. Even Floyd Aubrey on the wing knew how to get into position to clean out.
Reds attacking breakdown was often wanting with player not prepared to follow ball carrier and ensure good clean and recycled ball.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
A shame Kaitu’u never found his groove when playing here in QLD and now we’ve lost him. Based on his Force form last season and then his Wallaby performances, I’d definitely have him ahead of Mafi.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Think from Monday the pool of 30 non-contracted players on standby as Covid replacements for the comp will be known.
Not sure if this can be called on for other injuries?
You can always call up injury replacements, so yes it would make sense if they pull from this pool. However you'd be worried about the quality. If Mafi is out for a while and Asiati for the season, you'd be looking elsewhere for an injury joker as Nasser, and whoever non contracted who is below nasser, would absolutely NOT be up to scratch for Super Rugby.

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
Finished in Colts last year but with plenty of QPR first grade experience too, Zac Crothers from Easts probably not quite up to this level. Faessler could be it.

Ged

Allen Oxlade (6)
It depends how Petaia has been training at fullback. Maybe start with the backline
9. McDermott
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. Vunivalu
12. Paisami
13. Flook
14. Dangunu
15 Petaia
21. Jeans
22. Stewart
23. Campbell
If Petaia is not connecting then bring in Campbell. Stewart had a shocker at 10 yesterday and I wasn’t overly impressed with Grealy’s performance. It was a trial with a few of the young players thrown in the mix and missing key players.
That's pretty much my dream backline except I'd have Lynagh at 22

Wilson

David Codey (61)
You can always call up injury replacements, so yes it would make sense if they pull from this pool. However you'd be worried about the quality. If Mafi is out for a while and Asiati for the season, you'd be looking elsewhere for an injury joker as Nasser, and whoever non contracted who is below nasser, would absolutely NOT be up to scratch for Super Rugby.
George Blake finished the trial at hooker and didn't look too bad, but he's only a 20 year old and I can't imagine the plan was to use him this year.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
That's pretty much my dream backline except I'd have Lynagh at 22
On the back of half a game of trial footy you’d pick an 18 year old (with 40 mins of senior footy under his belt) who can seemingly only cover one position? Big call.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I guess we’ll get a good idea of next in lines because a Qld A game Friday night. Perhaps the Tahs game will be closer to a 23 (maybe 25) and the likes of Anan, Oates etc will play As. Hooker selection intriguing.