• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2022

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Yep, QC (Quade Cooper) debuted at 18. And gees whilst showing some absolute talent didn't he show he was not ready a few times? Defensively, absolutely. Decision making, no doubt. Would he have benefited from a year in QPR at that time? Most likely? Were the Reds absolutely desperate at the time? Yes.

We can learn a lot from that. Similar with Petaia.
Always compare QC (Quade Cooper) with Giteau and the introduction to Super Rugby. QC (Quade Cooper) at 18 was slapped on the back and told to be the man and win the game for QLD with a pack moving backwards.

Giteau (despite already being a capped wallaby) was a little older, slid into a dominate team who had recently won super rugby twice. Gregan/larkham inside Mortlock, Roff and Walker outside. I just wonder what QC (Quade Cooper) could have been if that was his environment.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Quite different players though Gits and QC (Quade Cooper).

I always felt that teams needed to keep up with QC (Quade Cooper)'s tempo to be successful, whereas Giteau complimented this other players well.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Quite different players though Gits and QC (Quade Cooper).

I always felt that teams needed to keep up with QC (Quade Cooper)'s tempo to be successful, whereas Giteau complimented this other players well.
Do you not see how that introduction to SUper Rugby played into this?

Giteau was a small cog in a big machine where as QC (Quade Cooper) was the machine.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
It might be a controversial view but I'm pretty happy they've got Covid now. It essentially lowers the probability they get Covid during the season to something just above 0, and means they almost certainly don't miss any games for the Reds during the season. I can't remember the exact rules for isolation but if you've had it in the last 3 months I don't think you need to isolate either. I note also that they got it on a trip to Sydney. If I were QRU/Thorne I would have been strongly encouraging that trip in the pre-season, go and get it so you don't get it during the season.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Close contact rules are ever changing. Latest update for Qld is the 22nd of Jan, as it currently stands the Qld gov’t are giving you just 4 weeks grace after recovering from Covid before you can be considered a close contact.

ATM it won’t give JOC (James O'Connor) and co the whole season not needing to isolate if they are considered a close contact, just 4 weeks from when they have recovered.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Close contact rules are ever changing. Latest update for Qld is the 22nd of Jan, as it currently stands the Qld gov’t are giving you just 4 weeks grace after recovering from Covid before you can be considered a close contact.

ATM it won’t give JOC (James O'Connor) and co the whole season not needing to isolate if they are considered a close contact, just 4 weeks from when they have recovered.

Fair enough but given you can only be a close contact if you live with someone now, if they've given it to who they've lived with, they're now very unlikely to test positive too. So it will still have an effect I reckon

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Do you not see how that introduction to SUper Rugby played into this?

Giteau was a small cog in a big machine where as QC (Quade Cooper) was the machine.
QC (Quade Cooper) was one of the first Australian players to have his own YouTube highlights video as a high school player, jumping around like a kangaroo, flick passes, no look passes, flick no look passes. Always very flashy and playing to the beat of his own drum.

Granted I didn't follow Giteau as closely, but I don't ever remember him being that flashy.

Not trying to discount their different entries into the professional world, but their play styles were quite varied as well.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Fair enough but given you can only be a close contact if you live with someone now, if they've given it to who they've lived with, they're now very unlikely to test positive too. So it will still have an effect I reckon
Not quite - the specific rule is having spent 4 hours or more in an accommodation like setting with a case so if they are rooming overnight for away games that would count. Just means they'll want to be careful to consider that for all the room allocations when traveling.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Don't all these Covid Mandates/rules expire with the "state of emergency" ending on the 26th March? unless they extend of course, but I think that would be political suicide.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
QC (Quade Cooper) was one of the first Australian players to have his own YouTube highlights video as a high school player, jumping around like a kangaroo, flick passes, no look passes, flick no look passes. Always very flashy and playing to the beat of his own drum.

Granted I didn't follow Giteau as closely, but I don't ever remember him being that flashy.

Not trying to discount their different entries into the professional world, but their play styles were quite varied as well.

Matt Giteau had already racked up over 20 test caps when YouTube was launched.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Looks like Tupou will be getting his own room all season the.
Based on his instagram I think everyone will probably be happy with that

Don't all these Covid Mandates/rules expire with the "state of emergency" ending on the 26th March? unless they extend of course, but I think that would be political suicide.
Restrictions should relax, but I think it's crazy to think they'll all be gone in a month and a half.

Last edited:

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I use this graph a bit at work when we’re looking at new products and ideas. I feel the same applies to rugby players. I’d say we’re close to the peak of inflated expectation.

View attachment 12975
Thank you for uploading this Adam. It had some content that intrigued me. Our Sydney CEO just called me to request my attendance at a management meeting in regards to this. Possibly the missing link? I told him that I will be recruiting our next CEO from a rugby forum if he is not careful.
BTW. Relative to a new professional rugby player.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I have heard that there is going to be a 6 team "nrc-like" tournament this year with the 5 franchises plus 1 more (perhaps the Drua). The Wallaby players wouldn't be available, so there will be a chance to see wider squad members blooded at this level.
Fantastic if it happens, where did you hear this?

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
If true (and I hope it is) I'm sure we will hear about it soon enough. You'd think they'd wait for Super Rugby to launch and play for a few weeks and then make an announcement, so as not to muddy the waters.

Even a stripped back NRC type program will need to get their ducks in a row in terms of making people aware of it, could be a good carrot to keep some of the fringe Super Rugby blokes with their feet on the ground here and have a crack at that level.