• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Hearing that Taniela could be following Mafi to the Rebels.

LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Mafi and Nela are all good mates and have played a part in keeping each other at the Reds. Two of the three gone for 2023 has left the lone ranger wondering what his options are.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Hearing that Taniela could be following Mafi to the Rebels.

LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Mafi and Nela are all good mates and have played a part in keeping each other at the Reds. Two of the three gone for 2023 has left the lone ranger wondering what his options are.
When has going to the Rebels ever made someone's career better..

I'm not saying he will or won't but if he wants to be the best rugby pro he can, he'd steer clear of that shit show.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
When has going to the Rebels ever made someone's career better..

I'm not saying he will or won't but if he wants to be the best rugby pro he can, he'd steer clear of that shit show.
I mean if they landed Mafi and Taniela, and Kerevi was serious about returning to Super Rugby, it would put the Rebels in the box seat for him as well. Those players change that team. Not as crazy as it sounds. Watch this space.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

hearing that there is a bit if dis-satisfaction at Herston.
Could be plenty more move on in the coming weeks.

Simon Cron has eyes on a couple to replace the old heads leaving the force.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Funny how these rumours always come about towards the end of the season when players/managers are trying to lock down their next contract.
Hmmm I'm actually in TalentFinders corner for this one.

I mentioned on here a while ago there was some issues propping up quite early in the season, specifically around the rehab and treatment of some injuries, it may seem like a small thing but I reckon it's opened the flood gates for larger issues.

One of those players (Mafi) has officially left, and the other player (Taniela) I know wants to leave if he can facilitate a good contract elsewhere. That and the whole weirdness of LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) being left at home for the final game of the season is raising many eyebrows.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

I mentioned on here a while ago there was some issues propping up quite early in the season, specifically around the rehab and treatment of some injuries, it may seem like a small thing but I reckon it's opened the flood gates for larger issues.

One of those players (Mafi) has officially left, and the other player (Taniela) I know wants to leave if he can facilitate a good contract elsewhere. That and the whole weirdness of LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) being left at home for the final game of the season is raising many eyebrows.
Yeah I don’t get the LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) issue. What I will say is Tupou is signed for 2023 and currently in the middle of negotiating what will be one of the largest contracts ever signed by a forward in Australia. Rumours of moving to another team will come down to what club facilitates the ideal number of Japanese sabbaticals for him.

Only thing missing from the rumour-mill is wanting to play in NZ and represent Tonga.

Last edited:
D

DELETE ACCOUNT

One of those players (Mafi) has officially left, and the other player (Taniela) I know wants to leave if he can facilitate a good contract elsewhere. That and the whole weirdness of LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) being left at home for the final game of the season is raising many eyebrows.
There are fellas in the wider group who are seriously negotiating. They want more game time primarily.

Word I keep hearing is they "do not know where they stand" the communication with players from front office is next to non existent.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Word I keep hearing is they "do not know where they stand" the communication with players from front office is next to non existent.
I heard similar about a couple of the wider-squad players who announced '23/'24 extensions at the end of last year, so it doesn't sound like this is an issue that's only just popped up.

The downside to strong squad depth is the battle for retention. It's probably been exacerbated by the number of younger players who've gotten a few runs this year and last, off the back of injuries to the top 23, that might not have gotten them otherwise - they've cut their teeth, and now want more.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There are fellas in the wider group who are seriously negotiating. They want more game time primarily.

is there a young UQ hooker looking elsewhere????

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Reds could probably use a bit of a refresh anyway. Theyll have a fair bit of cap space with guys like LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Mafi leaving.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Reds could probably use a bit of a refresh anyway. Theyll have a fair bit of cap space with guys like LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Mafi leaving.
like to see them try and get Angus Wagner from the Force with some of that cash.

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
Reds have limited track record in recruiting outside its own or other pathways. Been a while since they landed an established player from another club.
JOC (James O'Connor) was a ‘buyer of last resort’ type deal. Vunivalu came from league.

when was the last time we secured an established player from elsewhere ??

just saying I wouldn’t be holding your breath waiting for some refresh to include established players.