• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Right now that 2022 is packaged and locked away are there any suggestions on players that Cordingley and Co should target for future contracts (2023).
And I don't mean schoolboys who wont be ready for 4 years.
As a suggestion, should we try for Mack Mason to fill the gap between JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) and Lynagh?
His worse then Creighton

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
There is a lot of players out there with equal potential as Mack Mason that had even less opportunities to impress, that wish they had the mythology around them that Mason seems to have in the minds of many.

He’s the reverse Michael Hooper who was blamed and criticized for the first half of his career for been given lots of opportunities despite continuously producing outstanding results.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

There is a lot of players out there with equal potential as Mack Mason that had even less opportunities to impress, that wish they had the mythology around them that Mason seems to have in the minds of many.

He’s the reverse Michael Hooper who was blamed and criticized for the first half of his career for been given lots of opportunities despite continuously producing outstanding results.
there in lies a fair degree of the problem.

Reds have been stuck on recruiting for POTENTIAL.
I am thinking we need to get a couple of battle hardened proven performers with strong professional attitudes to try and rub off onto the existing playing group. Withthe amount of troops we have sent off around the world surely there could be one or two worth bringing back into the fold.

Someone like a Greg Holmes and what he has done out west for the last couple of years. Maybe mid 20's to early 30 year old. Scott Sio would fit the role.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Plenty of players.

I’m open to ideas as why you think Korczyk should be recruited given he has had 3 major knee surgeries in as many seasons, but don’t be a sook about it because I disagree with you.
1. He is a queenslander born and bred - brings some passion which is something Thorn has been trying to develop
2. Been in the Reds Program so has a degree of familiarity, which lessons the "learning curve"
3. Knows what Brisbane is like to live = contentment and less stress then being in a weird new place
4. Is tough and loves contact / collision
5. can cover a few positions ie Like ASY (Angus Scott-Young)
6. would compliment the styles of McReight and Wilson and be a perfect support unit for either a ball runner or arriving player (jackal)
7. has a few seasons under his belt so not an immature schoolboy (physical and mental)
8. Can play - was recognized of this by inclusion to wallaby squads previously.

Injury history is less of a concern for me. Injuries management is part and parcel of the game now. Any player at anytime can be affected ie Zane Nongorr ( no history until this year)

But I guess some of these wont stack up against the perceived excellence that a mercenary might bring.
I find it amazing that we have a massive Junior feeder network but there are some that always think the grass is greener elsewhere.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Can’t say I am on board with bringing back Korczyk. I believe your UQ biasism is clearly on display here Talent finder.

if someone outside the UQ heavies fanbase was to make this case then I would certainly listen.

in my opinion. Adam was never up to super rugby scratch and he never left a imprint on a game in NRC/Club rugby where you could tell he was a super rugby player.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
1. He is a queenslander born and bred - brings some passion which is something Thorn has been trying to develop
2. Been in the Reds Program so has a degree of familiarity, which lessons the "learning curve"
3. Knows what Brisbane is like to live = contentment and less stress then being in a weird new place
4. Is tough and loves contact / collision
5. can cover a few positions ie Like ASY (Angus Scott-Young) (Angus Scott-Young)
6. would compliment the styles of McReight and Wilson and be a perfect support unit for either a ball runner or arriving player (jackal)
7. has a few seasons under his belt so not an immature schoolboy (physical and mental)
8. Can play - was recognized of this by inclusion to wallaby squads previously.

Injury history is less of a concern for me. Injuries management is part and parcel of the game now. Any player at anytime can be affected ie Zane Nongorr ( no history until this year)

But I guess some of these wont stack up against the perceived excellence that a mercenary might bring.
I find it amazing that we have a massive Junior feeder network but there are some that always think the grass is greener elsewhere.

I’d say medically speaking. multiple major knee injuries is a massive area of concern, including another surgery as recent as last month, which was only a few months after returning from his previous.

That indicates some major stability issues and tissue scarring through grafting, representing a high chance of reoccurrence.

seems like a nice guy, but nothing jumps out to suggest reds should chase him given injury issues.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Yeah there's injury management and accepting a level of risk, and then there's having 3 knee ops with long-term recovery periods at 27 years old.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Yeah there's injury management and accepting a level of risk, and then there's having 3 knee ops with long-term recovery periods at 27 years old.
glad for him that his current employer doesn't throw him on the scrap heap as quick as some think he should be.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Pretty big leap from people offering a different opinion on his suitability, in the specific context of the Reds 2023+, to this comment
so who are you backing to replace ASY (Angus Scott-Young) and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)? Thats a lot of caps moving out that need to be filled.

But I guess there will be another 18 year old schoolboy superstar in the wings ready to be over promoted

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
so who are you backing to replace ASY (Angus Scott-Young) (Angus Scott-Young) and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)? Thats a lot of caps moving out that need to be filled.
The experience will be difficult to replace, but I'm not sure Korcyzk's 26 caps for the Reds across 5 seasons and 6 caps for Ealing since 2019 are fitting that bill. Nothing against him, and wish him nothing but success, but I'm not sure he's the man for the Reds in 2023.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
so who are you backing to replace ASY (Angus Scott-Young) (Angus Scott-Young) and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)? Thats a lot of caps moving out that need to be filled.
Well, Angus missed most of this year and I can't remember the last game LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) started, so one could argue those caps have already been replaced.

ASY (Angus Scott-Young) had/has a lot of competition for his spot between Uru and Wright. Hell, we still need to fit McWreight, Wilson, Uru and Wright into 4 positions, let alone anyone new.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

you dont think we need to do something different to step it up?

"Continuing to do the same thing and expect a different result is the definition of insanity"

Nothing against the current roster, but it appears the waratahs and brumbies have moved past the Reds in the pecking order of Aussie teams. There is now a challenge before the Qld RU to get back on top.