• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I rate Kaitu’u, form this year has dropped off but last year his Super Rugby form was great. Sio would undoubtedly be a good signing as well
Yeah, Kaitu'u did have a drop in form after starting the year well. That said it largely followed the force's dip as the coaching change over was announced, so I'd absolutely back him to turn it around, particularly in a new environment.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Yeah but its in line with what positions get paid all over the world, Locks, 10's & full backs are generally the top 3 no prop is getting that. Hope he gets paid though maybe $900k with a sabbatical over 4 years is more realistic
Tupou isn’t your typical prop though - he has a game-breaking ability that not many players, let alone props, possess. A comparison that comes to mind is Kerevi, and he’s on that sort of money.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Yeah, Kaitu'u did have a drop in form after starting the year well. That said it largely followed the force's dip as the coaching change over was announced, so I'd absolutely back him to turn it around, particularly in a new environment.
I’m not even sure if he started well. Got yanked from the field before half time against the Tahs in the early rounds. From memory gave up a silly yellow, saw out his 10mins but didn’t return as coach decided Ready was doing a better job

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think a Kaitu’u and Nasser hooking team would work well.

Nasser plays more like a traditional hooker and was very consistent this year prior to injury.

Kaitu’u plays a bit more up tempo with a turnover based defensive mindset, which would work well at the Reds. Of course that style comes with a higher error rate and penalty count, but if for example you’re chasing points at the back of a game, those are the calculated risks you take.

ssmeaton

Frank Row (1)
$1m? that would make him the highest paid prop in the world! Would he even get that in Japan?

Tadhg Furlong is on between $800k & $850k at a side with no cap & pays more than anyone in the world, I agree he has to be paid but that seems over market value for a broke Rugby Australia
I think if TT properly explored his options he would become the highest paid player in the world, not just the highest paid prop. I am pretty confident he would get over 1m euro in the Top14

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I think if TT properly explored his options he would become the highest paid player in the world, not just the highest paid prop. I am pretty confident he would get over 1m euro in the Top14

I certainly don't he could be the highest paid player in the world by a long shot

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
And they would grind him into dust as he scrums against massive beasts each week

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
But Arnold and Furlong aren't personable and Taniela is a huge personality.

Hopefully Rugby Australia and Stan can tap into the marketing budget for an additional top up because our game in Australia needs more personable characters like Taniela.
The value of a personality like Tupou driving fan engagement off the field is greater than ever given the type of content fans, particularly younger generations, engage with on social media. Rugby AU and Super teams are starting to do more in this space, but there's still plenty of growth to come.

A great example is what Formula 1 (the organisation, and individual teams) do with their drivers on socials that help to build exposure and buy-in based on drivers' personalities.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I think Tupou is off after 23. He posts a lot about how long he’s been at the reds, it will be his ninth season which seems crazy long already. His losing two of his closest mates in Lukhan & Alex.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think Tupou is off after 23. He posts a lot about how long he’s been at the reds, it will be his ninth season which seems crazy long already. His losing two of his closest mates in Lukhan & Alex.
If i were him id sign a lucrative 3 year deal and then walz back in for 27.

Probably still get picked in the intervening years anyway. Particularly if he goes to Japan.