• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
I just picked the one Red in the under 20 squad. I don't know who the other options are. I agree position-wise it would make sense to have someone else on contract.

It was more just an example that if I was the Reds I'd be looking at a 20 year old backrower to join the squad to replace ASY (Angus Scott-Young) (Angus Scott-Young) and be 5th in the pecking order, not a guy in his late 20s.
Yeah, the Reds have very quickly become skinny in the hybrid backrower stakes. Think we will miss ASY (Angus Scott-Young) , his versatility and work ethic will be hard to replace, particularly with TTT also on the move.

Not sure what he is up to contract wise, but Hugh Bokenham might be worth a shot for the Reds. Not getting any time with the Tahs , but only young at 21 with a big body and plenty of potential. He partnered Tom Hooper in the second row for the U18's in 2019 and Hooper has certainly blossomed at the Brumbies with game exposure. Think he would be the type of player that would learn a lot under Thorn.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Or another world cup at 36
nah hooper communicated another World Cup beyond him where his comms around this makes me think RWC 23 will be his swan song for the wallabies. Likely to play in Japan yes but not sure would make himself available for wallabies after 2023 RWC which given backrow depth probably 2023 RWC good time for hooper to call it quits for wallabies.

Last edited:

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
291274251_10159655063745236_5572453344673123417_n.jpg

Geeez, if we were able to keep Mason and Lukas, that's an entire generational backline at the Reds.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Glad for Smith and Faifua is a prospect.

Vest needs work. I hope we aren't relying on him to cover LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)/ASY (Angus Scott-Young)

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
Vest needs work. I hope we aren't relying on him to cover LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)/ASY (Angus Scott-Young) (Angus Scott-Young)
Not saying I disagree, but what areas are you referring to in particular? I thought he did an alright job coming in as injury cover (I think?) with pretty big shoes to fill. Given he hung around for 10 games, Thorn must see some potential in him.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Not saying I disagree, but what areas are you referring to in particular? I thought he did an alright job coming in as injury cover (I think?) with pretty big shoes to fill. Given he hung around for 10 games, Thorn must see some potential in him.

well given he's been signed to a contract Thorn clearly sees some potential in. He hung around on the back of numerous injuries. I don't think he's a front line player and my hope we've got our eyes on someone else to fill that role in the 23.

Perhaps a whole off-season in a professional set up will assist, although he's playing ITM apparently. Which didn't really take ASY (Angus Scott-Young)'s game to any great heights this year. He's popular I know, so a good club man. But I hope we can find better.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
The reds operating like a automated fantasy draft at position of needs

hookers? Let’s just give contracts to Fasseler/Asiata & now today… better lock up all our locks.

great at solidifying a bit of depth but like reg said about Vest/Faifua, I hope we not done.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

at least he a a "hard character" not like some of the so called schoolboy super stars

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

which ones are you referring to TF? You throw this line out a bit about 'schoolboy stars' but are never really clear on who you think? Taj Anan? Tom Lynagh? I assume it has to be a forward - which one do you mean?
Nongorr, Blake, come to mind quickly
Zander pushed up a level too early

But in reality I subscribed to an old school thinking that tight 5 players really hit their peak from about 23 years old. This would give them time to develop their skills and bodies in club land and the real world instead of the over protective professional set ups. Almost like serving an apprenticeship.

Take a look at Ryan Smith as an example compared to a Isaac Rodda.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Nongorr, Blake, come to mind quickly

But in reality I subscribed to an old school thinking that tight 5 players really hit their peak from about 23 years old. This would give them time to develop their skills and bodies in club land and the real world instead of the over protective professional set ups. Almost like serving an apprenticeship.

Take a look at Ryan Smith as an example compared to a Isaac Rodda.

That's just not a reality in professional sport. If players are any good someone will sign them.

If the Reds adopt an approach where they want players to have played club rugby for 5 years before they get a contract they will forever be picking from the players rejected by other teams. Thankfully for their sake they don't follow your advice.

What is the point of the Ryan Smith example? He's done really well for the Reds but he's the same age as Rodda who has played 32 tests and presumably has career earnings from rugby that conservatively could be $1m more than Smith's.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Wasn't Zander the opposite of a school boy star? Played down in the grades at Nudgee, went to Norths instead of Brothers because he figured he'd get better opportunities and it worked out for him with Thorn picking him on potential.

Not saying I disagree with you, he hasn't made major progress or become a Wallaby prospect and he's been professional now for a number of seasons. But he doesn't fit the criteria of schoolboy star.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Brad
That's just not a reality in professional sport. If players are any good someone will sign them.

If the Reds adopt an approach where they want players to have played club rugby for 5 years before they get a contract they will forever be picking from the players rejected by other teams. Thankfully for their sake they don't follow your advice.

What is the point of the Ryan Smith example? He's done really well for the Reds but he's the same age as Rodda who has played 32 tests and presumably has career earnings from rugby that conservatively could be $1m more than Smith's.
rodda came up thru the entitled school boy system program. Progressing from rep team to next rep team.

Connor Vest is a swilling party animal pig that wasn’t even on the warratahs radar until he came to qpr and blood sweat and tears got him into the mixer at Herston.

I don’t generally agree with Talent finder but on this case Brad thorn loves the scrapper types from QPR. Aka Ryan Smith/Connor Vest.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Glad for Smith and Faifua is a prospect.

Vest needs work. I hope we aren't relying on him to cover LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)/ASY (Angus Scott-Young) (Angus Scott-Young)

A marquee 6/8 cover would be great. What are the big Saffa boys doing? Kwagga Smith would be a good get, would suit our counter attacking backs play style. Or Argies - Matera seems to like playing Super Rugby, is he still with the Crusaders next year?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Brad

rodda came up thru the entitled school boy system program. Progressing from rep team to next rep team.

Connor Vest is a swilling party animal pig that wasn’t even on the warratahs radar until he came to qpr and blood sweat and tears got him into the mixer at Herston.

I don’t generally agree with Talent finder but on this case Brad thorn loves the scrapper types from QPR. Aka Ryan Smith/Connor Vest.

Sure, but Rodda is a really good player. There's the option to take issue with his behaviour (at least from what was reported externally) during COVID but he's performed well for each team he's played for and at test level.

When exactly should the Waratahs have been interested in Connor Vest? He played NRC in NSW and is a decent player but by no means a world beater. If there's one thing the Waratahs have in spades it's large 6/small locks. We have three of them that are either in the Wallabies squad (Holloway and Hanigan) or are a recent Wallaby but injured (Swinton).

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Surely he gets paid a lot of money by Yamaha.

Yes probably, I can still have him on my wishlist though.

If he was going to leave it would likely be after RWC2023 anyway, that seems to be when the Japanese teams look to refresh their rosters with the next group of exiled players.