• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I have actually wondered this in general. I'm fairly sure the Brisbane Roar bailed on Suncorp because it wasn't worth it anymore cost wise.

What is the magic number?
It depends on the deal the team negotiates, I am pretty sure when the Rabbitohs moved to the Olympic Stadium from SFS they would theoretically make as much money with a crowd of 1 person as they would with 10,000 at SFS, they were paid a fortune to change locations. I would imagine Lang Park would do the same for a major draw card.

The issue is going to be whether or not the Reds are going to continue to be considered a draw card team.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
It depends on the deal the team negotiates, I am pretty sure when the Rabbitohs moved to the Olympic Stadium from SFS they would theoretically make as much money with a crowd of 1 person as they would with 10,000 at SFS, they were paid a fortune to change locations. I would imagine Lang Park would do the same for a major draw card.

The issue is going to be whether or not the Reds are going to continue to be considered a draw card team.
Sydney market is completely different to Stadiums Queensland, the revenue sharing model at some of Sydney stadiums (Accor/SFS) differs with the stadiums taking money for drinks and food, a larger percentage of attendance revenue, they subsequently pay teams a set fee to use their stadium.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Can’t say I am on board with bringing back Korczyk. I believe your UQ biasism is clearly on display here Talent finder.

if someone outside the UQ heavies fanbase was to make this case then I would certainly listen.

in my opinion. Adam was never up to super rugby scratch and he never left a imprint on a game in NRC/Club rugby where you could tell he was a super rugby player.

Just catching up on this thread and wanted to say that while I support UQ I was pretty disappointed with Korczyk's contributions over a few seasons. However in his last season he was immense. Particularly in the finals series where he was an absolute beast. I don't think he lived up to the hype prior to that but he certainly showed what he was capable of then.

I wouldn't be against him coming back if he was injury free, for the right price and was displaying that kind of form. Covers that hard edge, physical backrower who will hit anything that moves. I recall the Reds boys saying they hated manning up against him for contact drills at training as he would just belt everyone. I would rather someone in that position who is a bit battle hardened than another rookie who will need to grow into the role.

Edit : continued reading the thread and see he has had pretty significant injuries which probably rules him out of filling that kind of role.

Last edited:

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Just catching up on this thread and wanted to say that while I support UQ I was pretty disappointed with Korczyk's contributions over a few seasons. However in his last season he was immense. Particularly in the finals series where he was an absolute beast. I don't think he lived up to the hype prior to that but he certainly showed what he was capable of then.

I wouldn't be against him coming back if he was injury free, for the right price and was displaying that kind of form. Covers that hard edge, physical backrower who will hit anything that moves. I recall the Reds boys saying they hated manning up against him for contact drills at training as he would just belt everyone. I would rather someone in that position who is a bit battle hardened than another rookie who will need to grow into the roll.

Edit : continued reading the thread and see he has had pretty significant injuries which probably rules him out of filling that kind of roll.

I can only find it distasteful to see the disparaging thinking from supposed Reds fans over a player like Korczyk. He doesn't have to have become a major name in Qld rugby history to deserve a modicum of respect. Good luck to him.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I can only find it distasteful to see the disparaging thinking from supposed Reds fans over a player like Korczyk. He doesn't have to have become a major name in Qld rugby history to deserve a modicum of respect. Good luck to him.
@dru who are these supposed fans you speak of, and what comments specifically were disparaging?

To say he wasn’t offered respect, based on the conversations which occurred seems a misrepresentation.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
@dru who are these supposed fans you speak of, and what comments specifically were disparaging?

To say he wasn’t offered respect, based on the conversations which occurred seems a misrepresentation.

Your statement that Korczyk barely made an impact is wide of the mark - to start with. But it's not necessarily the thrust I'm talking about.

I thought you had decided not to argue? Either way I'm done with responding to you Adam.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Your statement that Korczyk barely made an impact is wide of the mark - to start with. But it's not necessarily the thrust I'm talking about.

I thought you had decided not to argue? Either way I'm done with responding to you Adam.

Is saying Korczyk barely made a mark when he was in the squad is disparaging and disrespectful?

I don’t want to argue, hence why I was trying to address your inferred comment directly, and understand what comment specifically, and by whom.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Korczyk was an average Super Rugby player at a time the Reds were terrible.

He suffered a bit from being a bit of a "notta". While he could play all backrow positions he wasn't an out and out 7 and lacked size at 6 and 8.

How would you fit him into the current Reds backrow? If you're starting from the position that there isn't a starting spot for Liam Wright who is definitely a better player and likewise can play multiple positions, surely that squad spot (sitting outside your best 23) is better utilised on someone young.

Last edited:

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I'm not certain but pretty sure he did what a few promising future sports stars do and did 11 and 12 over 3 years.

And it doesn't always work out! I know of at least one horror story of a kid from BBC who decided to do this after missing out on Aussie schoolboys selection, went back for Year 13, blew his knee up in first game of the year, never heard of again.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Korczyk was an average Super Rugby player at a time the Reds were terrible.

He suffered a bit from being a bit of a "notta". While he could play all backrow positions he wasn't an out and out 7 and lacked size at 6 and 8.

How would you fit him into the current Reds backrow? If you're starting from the position that there isn't a starting spot for Liam Wright who is definitely a better player and likewise can play multiple positions, surely that squad spot (sitting outside your best 23) is better utilised on someone young.
That makes sense, but wouldn't it be great to be able to bring in players with Korczyk's experience from outside the 23 instead of a kid who has never played Super Rugby.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That makes sense, but wouldn't it be great to be able to bring in players with Korczyk's experience from outside the 23 instead of a kid who has never played Super Rugby.

I think it's about the life cycle of players. Wright, Wilson and McReight are all young still but as a result of how early they were blooded in Super Rugby means they're all pretty experienced players now and senior players within the squad. I don't think you really need more of that in the backrow.

You're more likely to end up with a retention issue down the track and want to be developing the next star in the background rather than filling it with a veteran.

It could quite well be different if one of the starters was inexperienced but highly talented.

The one backrower the Reds have in the Junior Wallabies squad is Nick Baker. Maybe he's the guy you want to have contracted next year to replace ASY (Angus Scott-Young)?

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
I think it's about the life cycle of players. Wright, Wilson and McReight are all young still but as a result of how early they were blooded in Super Rugby means they're all pretty experienced players now and senior players within the squad. I don't think you really need more of that in the backrow.

You're more likely to end up with a retention issue down the track and want to be developing the next star in the background rather than filling it with a veteran.

It could quite well be different if one of the starters was inexperienced but highly talented.

The one backrower the Reds have in the Junior Wallabies squad is Nick Baker. Maybe he's the guy you want to have contracted next year to replace ASY (Angus Scott-Young) (Angus Scott-Young)?
Nick Baker would mostly be considered a 7 at Super Rugby level. Would struggle to offer cover for 6/8. Already have Wright who can play 7 if McReight is down and Uru who can cover 4/5/6/8.

How many 7’s do you need ?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Nick Baker would mostly be considered a 7 at Super Rugby level. Would struggle to offer cover for 6/8. Already have Wright who can play 7 if McReight is down and Uru who can cover 4/5/6/8.

Was going to say this - Baker being used exclusively as a 7 at club level, not sure he would be able to cover the other backrow positions in a Super Rugby team.

You assume Hooper will retire after RWC ‘23, and Rennie would have had in-depth discussions with McReight around his future role. So I think McReight will be sticking around hopefully at the Reds for some time. That’s not to say he won’t get injured at times etc, Baker is a good player but how he fits into the overall plan for the Reds in the next 5 years will be interesting.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I just picked the one Red in the under 20 squad. I don't know who the other options are. I agree position-wise it would make sense to have someone else on contract.

It was more just an example that if I was the Reds I'd be looking at a 20 year old backrower to join the squad to replace ASY (Angus Scott-Young) and be 5th in the pecking order, not a guy in his late 20s.

You assume Hooper will retire after RWC ‘23

He'll be 32, I wouldn't be betting on him retiring.

Strong chance he looks offshore though although if the next two years go well, the competitive streak in him could see him trying to play a second Lions tour.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I just picked the one Red in the under 20 squad. I don't know who the other options are. I agree position-wise it would make sense to have someone else on contract.

It was more just an example that if I was the Reds I'd be looking at a 20 year old backrower to join the squad to replace ASY (Angus Scott-Young) (Angus Scott-Young) and be 5th in the pecking order, not a guy in his late 20s.

Strong chance he looks offshore though although if the next two years go well, the competitive streak in him could see him trying to play a second Lions tour.
Or another world cup at 36

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)

Regardless of whether he officially retires - I am not sure a 36yr old Hooper will be the answer for the Wallabies at 2027 RWC, my point being McReight currently first in line to take that spot.