• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Brad

rodda came up thru the entitled school boy system program. Progressing from rep team to next rep team.

Connor Vest is a swilling party animal pig that wasn’t even on the warratahs radar until he came to qpr and blood sweat and tears got him into the mixer at Herston.

I don’t generally agree with Talent finder but on this case Brad thorn loves the scrapper types from QPR. Aka Ryan Smith/Connor Vest.
Vest was a NSW junior star that got cast aside by waratahs. He played Aust Schoolboys and other junior rep teams.

Calling him a "swilling party animal pig" shows you have little knowledge of the immense amount of work and sacrifice he has done to get his shot at the big time.

Would love to see you speak to him like that face to face.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
A marquee 6/8 cover would be great. What are the big Saffa boys doing? Kwagga Smith would be a good get, would suit our counter attacking backs play style. Or Argies - Matera seems to like playing Super Rugby, is he still with the Crusaders next year?

Big Saffas required, Kwagga is amazing but definitely not a 'big saffa'. Pretty sure he is raking the big bucks in Japan anyway and still moonlights in 7s.

Matera off to chase the money also. He just wanted to win a title and he has done so!

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If you want a Saffa backrower who are out of national frame. Du Preez bros. But you're never going to match their money at Sale, the best you can offer is a better location than Salford.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Calling him a "swilling party animal pig" shows you have little knowledge of the immense amount of work and sacrifice he has done to get his shot at the big time.

lol settle down Talentfinder. He’s a professional footballer, I get that.

but listening to him appear on some local rugby podcasts last year - I get the sense he likes club culture just as much as reds culture

go listen to his interview on the pillar to post podcast last year. You’ll enjoy his banter with the boys.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Big Saffas required, Kwagga is amazing but definitely not a 'big saffa'. Pretty sure he is raking the big bucks in Japan anyway and still moonlights in 7s.
Yes true - I think his play style would compliment what the Reds already have though.

Going a bit off topic but would he be the best 7s to 15s transition in recent years? The bloke played 7s for around 5 years I think and has been part of the Boks setup now for the last 4.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yes true - I think his play style would compliment what the Reds already have though.

Going a bit off topic but would he be the best 7s to 15s transition in recent years? The bloke played 7s for around 5 years I think and has been part of the Boks setup now for the last 4.

RG Snyman would be the other one.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
If we are recruiting in RSA we should keep an eye for locks in the Currie Cup waiting for an opportunity.

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
Gotta say that todays test team announcement really is damning of Thorn’s coaching - and makes it very hard to recruit for 2023 and beyond. Rennie has made it clear we aren’t producing wallabies.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Gotta say that todays test team announcement really is damning of Thorn’s coaching - and makes it very hard to recruit for 2023 and beyond. Rennie has made it clear we aren’t producing wallabies.

Big call to make.

Its the first test of what, 15 to be played this year?

Guys like Tate and Wilson will get a run. Vunivalu probably gets a chance as well considering they convinced him to sign through to RWC23. Petaia likely to get a chance at 15.

McReight is next in line for the 7 spot once Hooper goes. Taniela would be 100% in the side when fit.

I’d say there is a decent chance of up to 6 Reds all in the starting 15 at some stage this year. That’s half the team.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Big call to make.

Guys like Tate and Wilson will get a run. Vunivalu probably gets a chance as well considering they convinced him to sign through to RWC23. Petaia likely to get a chance at 15.

McReight is next in line for the 7 spot once Hooper goes. Taniela would be 100% in the side when fit.

I’d say there is a decent chance of up to 6 Reds all in the starting 15 at some stage this year. That’s half the team.
One of the issues for Wilson is in Rennies comments that Holloway was in line to play if he was fit. That would put him further down the pecking order than just Leota.

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
Big call to make.

Charlie Gamble has about 12 mths left until he is eligible for wallabies. I reckon he has more of the style Rennie likes than Mcreight. I wouldn’t bank on McReight being a given as next in line.

and I’m not being pessimistic - just realistic

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Charlie Gamble has about 12 mths left until he is eligible for wallabies. I reckon he has more of the style Rennie likes than Mcreight. I wouldn’t bank on McReight being a given as next in line.

Rennie likes epic mustaches?

I mean... yeah. Who doesn't.

Last edited:

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I found the logic quite interesting, because a player has not won games at Super Level against NZ opponents you don't get picked for the Wallabies but we will select guys who played in Japan and therefore have not proven themselves against NZ this year either.

I think we will end up with about 6 capped players this year, but the justification for current exclusion seems odd to me

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)

I really like Gamble, but he will be 27 by the time he’s even eligible. McReight is 4 years younger than him.

Not saying I’m writing Gamble off, but I still think McReight is the best long term 7 option in the country at the moment.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I found the logic quite interesting, because a player has not won games at Super Level against NZ opponents you don't get picked for the Wallabies but we will select guys who played in Japan and therefore have not proven themselves against NZ this year either.

I think we will end up with about 6 capped players this year, but the justification for current exclusion seems odd to me

Yes and by that same logic, the Reds were at a disadvantage selection wise because of the draw this season. Playing all the NZ teams at the end of the season, after having a pretty good first half.

Who’s to say if the draw was normal and the Reds finished the season playing the Tahs for example and beat them, does that mean Tate gets picked over Gordon?