• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
I do like reading into things too much - but in the context of the above, does the tone / way in which this was done by Mafi and Stewart also seem like a bit of a sleight at the Reds?

Perhaps not a sleight but seems excited to be leaving

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
The Rebels probably promised a Wallaby jumper. They seem to be able to keep getting the very average Reece Hodge picked and for the life of me, cannot understand some of their inclusion in the u20 squad, probably a year ahead of their merit.

Must be the secret quota we don’t know about.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Things are getting spicy

If he wants to go and has initiated proceeding, surely he is not an ideal candidate for the Reds squad. About all I can think is that the Reds do not want to see a precedent so matters are on the penalising side of things.

Poor form all the same - IF as it appears, Stewart has asked for things to be announced and he had Red commitments in place without any agreement around it.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I am perplexed why Hamish would want to leave. Other than McDermott 9 jersey there’s been no other jersey more secure than Hamish 12.

there was that one instance when he turned up to training hungover and was promptly dropped but he should thank his lucky stars that Brad believed in his talents and that he didn’t get the ready/frisby treatment.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I am perplexed why Hamish would want to leave. Other than McDermott 9 jersey there’s been no other jersey more secure than Hamish 12.

there was that one instance when he turned up to training hungover and was promptly dropped but he should thank his lucky stars that Brad believed in his talents and that he didn’t get the ready/frisby treatment.

The posts on the previous page by @PhilClinton seem to give some insight...

The Brumbies will happily take Tupou when his contract expires.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It will be classic Reds if they make him stay because he has an existing contract but then don't pick him because they view his actions as being against the team's interests.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I do like reading into things too much - but in the context of the above, does the tone / way in which this was done by Mafi and Stewart also seem like a bit of a sleight at the Reds?

Based on the media statement from the Reds around Hamish's contract, it sounds like the mic drop from Mafi about Stewart's departure was news to them. As in, he's contracted for 2023 still haha.

Definitely comes across as a bit of 'up yours', people who are leaving a team in good faith generally discuss things with management before making announcements.

The house of cards is tumbling down and I am quite annoyed.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
The thing that makes this more intriguing is that the Rebels strings are being pulled by Nick Stiles - former QLD Red player and coach

I think he has been a positive for the rebels franchise. Lot of the players being snapped up were around when Stiles was.

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Writing has been on the wall for some time - regime change is coming and it's a matter of when not if.

That doesn't necessarily mean Thorn but plenty at the QRU have had their cards marked.

Can go quietly or risk blowing it all up.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
The major issue seems to be around how the rebels have gone about contracting. This isn't the first time they've appeared to operate in the grey areas around the contracting regulations to QLDs detriment, so I can't see the QRU just letting this one go.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
The major issue seems to be around how the rebels have gone about contracting. This isn't the first time they've appeared to operate in the grey areas around the contracting regulations to QLDs detriment, so I can't see the QRU just letting this one go.
Yeah definitely, didn't the same thing happen last year with the Gordons?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Yeah definitely, didn't the same thing happen last year with the Gordons?
Yeah something similar when they first went down, the rebels were apparently still negotiating via Piccone after he was no longer managing them. Nothing ever came of it so it was probably "technically ok", but that would have been cold comfort for the Reds and could only have left a bad taste.

With moves being made to centralise, it only heightens the anxiety around the contracting rules and how they're enforced, at least for the talent exporting states of QLD and NSW.