• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Anyone know if Fotuaika got a flight over to Fiji with Australia A then switched camps while in Fiji? That would be a bit cheeky!
if he was smart he would have waited until he got the kit.

Of course, playing for Tonga won't rule him out of the Reds squad. I wouldn't bend over backwards to keep him, but if we don't have someone suitable as a replacement, we may need to.

Sideline Hack

Frank Nicholson (4)
Ostensibly I am not against losing Hamish or Feao. But it all depends on who comes in as replacement. So far confirmed we have:

Mafi replaced by Faessler
LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) replaced by Vest
ASY (Angus Scott-Young) (Angus Scott-Young) - no known replacement yet
Droasese - no known replacement yet

Stewart TBC
Tuialima TBC
Fotuaika TBC

It's semantics I know but is Vest the backfill of AS-Y (I'm working on the basis of viewing LS-L as a lost lock option for the Reds)?

IMO - a part of Reds challenges in last year or so has been the reliance of multi-position utility players in the forwards rather than out-and-out positional players. They haven't ever really backfilled the loss of Rodda and Hockings and have relied on the ASY (Angus Scott-Young)/Vest types to cover over the losses.

A good outcome would to try and secure a genuine lock option where there is no question where they fit in to the Reds system.

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
Time to dust off this yet? If so it was a short era!!
1657181023158.jpeg

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
if he was smart he would have waited until he got the kit.

Of course, playing for Tonga won't rule him out of the Reds squad. I wouldn't bend over backwards to keep him, but if we don't have someone suitable as a replacement, we may need to.
What are the rules for foreign players? Is there a limit on how many years they can be contracted for?

Would any time limits be backdated?

Alex Ross (28)
What are the rules for foreign players? Is there a limit on how many years they can be contracted for?

Would any time limits be backdated?
Not sure how many it is. I think the Rebels and Force get a bit more leeway. But however low the quota. Would you take up one spot with a middle of the road squad player, or save it for marquee signings?
It’s looking more and more like the Reds are in the same boat as the Tahs. In need of a big TH lock.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

I know every season end results in player movements but the shuffling at Reds seems to be over the top this year.

Is there something going on in the back room? Would love to know the true catalyst for now losing a coach and Taniela's recent comments -" being out of reds injured was best thing for him" or words to that effect.

Seem to have had a lot of folk walk rather than be sent / let go.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I know every season end results in player movements but the shuffling at Reds seems to be over the top this year.

Is there something going on in the back room? Would love to know the true catalyst for now losing a coach and Taniela's recent comments -" being out of reds injured was best thing for him" or words to that effect.

Seem to have had a lot of folk walk rather than be sent / let go.
I would think there are some players who realise they are not in the sights of selectors to play in the World Cup or Lions tour but want a bigger payday without leaving the country.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

The thing that makes this more intriguing is that the Rebels strings are being pulled by Nick Stiles - former QLD Red player and coach
a cynical person might put Dan McKellar and Nick Stiles together as disgruntled ex-employees now on a payback mission.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Writing has been on the wall for some time - regime change is coming and it's a matter of when not if.

That doesn't necessarily mean Thorn but plenty at the QRU have had their cards marked.

Can go quietly or risk blowing it all up.
hope Cordingley is on that list

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Don't really think Mckellar would give a shit about trying to pull down the Reds because he didn't get a job years ago. Would show a pretty petty person that I don't believe capable of building what the Brumbies currently have.

Stiles probably has a hit list of players, support staff that he knows are quality and wants them. Business decisions over trying to wage war against people you will probably work with again in the future at some stage.

Rae Rae