• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I obviously am not in the inside circle to have any knowledge of what has happened to Tupou but as a "keyboard warrior internet expert" I have a few thoughts.

Could his lack in form be as simple as recently becoming a dad and simply being tired because of his life off the field?

One of my children had issues sleeping for his first two years and could sleep no more than 45minutes to an hour at a time. If you take parenting seriously and want to share with your partner then you cannot avoid being tired and this will have an impact on your work life.

I feel that Tupou is more a symptom. There is increasing white noise around dissatisfaction leaking out of the Reds. I take onboard the thoughts around parenting.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
I feel that Tupou is more a symptom. There is increasing white noise around dissatisfaction leaking out of the Reds. I take onboard the thoughts around parenting.
Absolutely agree, but far out he looked absolutely spent today after about 10min - he was the slowest to the lineouts, back behind the line after the Argies try, and standing next to rucks.

For someone who was putting in 80min stints regularly 18mo ago, it’s a massive change

Reactions: dru

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
On another matter, is Jonte Connelly someone who could get a shot in a broader Reds academy? Really like his development at brothers. Big physical blow too.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Absolutely agree, but far out he looked absolutely spent today after about 10min - he was the slowest to the lineouts, back behind the line after the Argies try, and standing next to rucks.

For someone who was putting in 80min stints regularly 18mo ago, it’s a massive change
He also just look sloppy in his appearance, his shorts are always half off his butt and this just gives the impression of not really caring about the game.

He is among my favourite Reds but I think for the good of the Wallabies he needs to move on, it would be interesting what he could become with the correct training.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
I was going to type the same thing earlier in week but then I thought… no wait, he was in Argentina for 2 weeks with no baby in sight and put a bad performance in abroad.

I agree tho whole heartily. Once you have kids… say good bye to 8 hours sleep straight
I just think he's struggled for fitness since his calf injury. Whatever it is, he's definitely off.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I just think he's struggled for fitness since his calf injury. Whatever it is, he's definitely off.
Agreed. He’s also a victim of his reputation. He feels he’s got to make a big impact in every moment, instead of working himself back into form. But with the injury toll, the options aren’t great.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Faumasili? Is he available? Don't particularly rate him at test level, yet, but would likely give a better account than Tupou is atm.

EDIT : I am obviously referring to the Wallabies. Certainly, the prop stocks at the Reds look a bit thin.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Don't think Healy ever played for QLD. Blaikie toured the UK with them and played once v Bath (which was, ironically, Andrew King's last game)
yep he did. off the bench on a "wednesday" tourist game or two I believe.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)

Interestingly, when you talk to his Reds teammates, they've always commented how he's been one of the fitter squad members in general from the last few years.

Quite possibly the calf injury and new dad tired vibes has meant that natural fitness (funny saying that for a bloke his size) has deteriorated.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Nailed it.

Coming off the back of a disapointing Super Rugby season where there didnt seem to be any team or individual development happening weve seen the Podcasts of players indicating players are leaving which is a big fuck you to the Reds to not keep it in house. Players openly showing they want out with any reason. Worrying signs if you QRU at the moment.

As for talking about Tupou spending his cash.... I don't give a shit. It's his choice. Do I agree with how he's spending it? No, but who am I to tell him otherwise. He might have a lot saved also and assets she didn't write about. Not as if it's new to any young adults with expendable income to enjoy themselves.... Rather he have a Jet Ski and a Zinger Box than white powder in a Gold Coast toilet cubicle like other athletes.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I thought Creighton did really well last year when thrown straight into it in a strange performing team. Reds need a couple options there with JOC (James O'Connor) looking like the battery is almost flat.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I thought Creighton did really well last year when thrown straight into it in a strange performing team. Reds need a couple options there with JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) looking like the battery is almost flat.

Whaddaya mean James is washed? Haven’t you seen the footage of him stepping a player down at training in a setup video?? He’s on fire!

Based on the airtime that is getting you’d think it’ll end up being a selection criteria.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
he's actually killing it at club level. He may not be test quality anymore but he's a very good Super Rugby player.

Having JOC (James O'Connor) as #1 with Creighton #2 and Lynagh following up, that's proper progression there. Lynagh will get game time next year.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Which UQ players would you have picked instead

Playing at UQ is not a criteria I would use but we should at least discuss it.
Once upon a time it was a criteria that the performing clubs got more representation as opposed to these days where a youtube schoolboy gets an academy slot. QRU invests so much time and effort into him that he has to be carried through to save face.

UQ have for a long period produced teams that perform. Regularly make finals series and win a few premierships. This might mean they know how to win (or at least play the game).
On the other hand, Bond seem to be stuck in the middle to bottom half of the table each year. Struggle to get depth at the club ( no 4th, 5th grade, colts 3) even though they have had additional support from various parties. This is also after history shows us the Gold Coast is ambivalent about having a club in the QPR. Look up the history of the Breakers and Stingrays.

As for the reds recruiting I think there should be some positions they look to fill.

Front row - Lost Faeo so obviously need to replace him. Our current FR have not improved over past 2 years.
Forward pack - generally pretty good shape esp with Jones coming in. Need to get Nasser back as primary hooker with Matt F as back up. Need to keep Liam on the field at 6.
Backs - 10 needs a look at could do with a true 10 (JOC (James O'Connor) is a 12 imho), 12-15 we have plenty of talent but all have been bounced around too much. would like to see a pick and stick attitude for a bit. Pick a position and stay in it.