• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Someone going to play NPC stops being paid by their Super Rugby team don't they?

I don't think it is a way for full time Super Rugby players to earn additional money.
Depends on what is written in their contracts

I guess that is why there is some comment around Liam's new contract having "interesting sections"

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Someone going to play NPC stops being paid by their Super Rugby team don't they?

I don't think it is a way for full time Super Rugby players to earn additional money.

yep - they take over the payment by the Super Rugby club. It's a money saver for the club too

Confucius Say

Arch Winning (36)
With the future of the Worcester Warriors under a cloud I wonder if we would make a play for Fergus Lee Warner? We still seem to have a gap there I reckon and he would be mighty handy.
Thanks Reg. Have been frying my brain trying to think of the lock who signed with WW.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Interesting little tidbit in that announcement:

I imagine we'll be seeing more and more of this for established super rugby players outside the Wallaby squads, at least until there is some sort of legitimate NRC successor in place.
Every contract should say this. We don't offer enough professional rugby.

The Whisperer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
When is the reds development tour of Japan? Will it coincide with the Australia A games?
Orherwise we could be looking at a very Different Reds side of no wallabies or Australia A players

Last edited:

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
When is the reds development tour of Japan? Will it coincide with the Australia A games?
Orherwise we could be looking at a very Different Reds side of no wallabies or Australia A players
Not announced I don’t think, but it’s presumed it will be post-Aus A tour

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)

Wouldn't be a bad thing if it was missing a number of those guys though. I am sure some of them will need some vacation time as well.

I'm sure a number of clubland guys (not just QPR but hopefully our scouts are looking at other comps as well) would love a chance to fly to Japan and play rugby for a month. Would be a good opportunity to showcase the options available to us.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I hope the Reds are having a good look at Matt Skipwith-Garland, currently playing 1st grade for Easts and maybe take him on the Japan tour.

Spoke with some Easts guys last night who said Matt was home at the moment spending time with family, but is still looking to play professionally and has a couple of contract offers. He has been killing it for Easts.

Would be a good addition to the squad, can play 13 or winger and knows how to create for himself.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I hope the Reds are having a good look at Matt Skipwith-Garland, currently playing 1st grade for Easts and maybe take him on the Japan tour.

Spoke with some Easts guys last night who said Matt was home at the moment spending time with family, but is still looking to play professionally and has a couple of contract offers. He has been killing it for Easts.

Would be a good addition to the squad, can play 13 or winger and knows how to create for himself.
Could be a good addition of experience to the squad, but there's a few Australian backs coming into their own this season that I'd prefer they looked at first, Kye Oates in particular.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Could be a good addition of experience to the squad, but there's a few Australian backs coming into their own this season that I'd prefer they looked at first, Kye Oates in particular.
Seeing as the current 20/21 year olds got screwed over with Covid not allowing any age rep or NRC type games for Qld I reckon there could be a few from this age group given an opportunity.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)

Agreed, but I think his previous experience is important, we've had a pretty much exclusively QPR developed squad for the past 5 years. Having an experienced back in the team who has been through a number of NZ development programs and played at a professional level for some time would be beneficial to guys like Henry, Flook etc.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Agreed, but I think his previous experience is important, we've had a pretty much exclusively QPR developed squad for the past 5 years. Having an experienced back in the team who has been through a number of NZ development programs and played at a professional level for some time would be beneficial to guys like Henry, Flook etc.
Yeah, I wouldn't be opposed to his signing and with Droasese and Stewart both having left there's probably room for a couple of signings, but I'd be pretty annoyed if he was added to the squad and we missed out on some of the up and coming talent as a result. If he's willing to take a base contract then great, but given the Stewart release cited salary cap pressure I can't imagine they could afford to offer much more than that and still pick up a guy at of QPR. It'll probably all come down to what room there is left to play with under the cap at this stage.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Yeah, I wouldn't be opposed to his signing and with Droasese and Stewart both having left there's probably room for a couple of signings, but I'd be pretty annoyed if he was added to the squad and we missed out on some of the up and coming talent as a result. If he's willing to take a base contract then great, but given the Stewart release cited salary cap pressure I can't imagine they could afford to offer much more than that and still pick up a guy at of QPR. It'll probably all come down to what room there is left to play with under the cap at this stage.

I also hope Cordingly / Thorn are looking for qpr options outside of UQ/Wests/Brothers who have lion shares of talent. Hell who’s the last country rugby product to bypass qpr and go straight into reds setup… has it ever been done?

I think it’s important (where possible) to have club land representation from all clubs which will help grassroots reds fans re-engage with their state team.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

I also hope Cordingly / Thorn are looking for qpr options outside of UQ/Wests/Brothers who have lion shares of talent. Hell who’s the last country rugby product to bypass qpr and go straight into reds setup… has it ever been done?

I think it’s important (where possible) to have club land representation from all clubs which will help grassroots reds fans re-engage with their state team.
reckon it was Peter Grigg from Townsville onto the wing.

Wilson

David Codey (61)

I hope they're looking outside there too, but I don't want them to sign someone just because they're the best country option if they're not as good as someone in the current pipeline. Oates to me stands out as a really consistent performer and someone that could make the step up. There are a few outside backs kicking around outside of UQ/Wests/Brothers who look quality but would be a bigger gamble stepping straight up to super rugby. A joint 7s/Reds contract like O'Toole has with the brumbies might be a better way to bring them up.

As far as country straight to reds goes, I think QPR (with significant help from the GPS schools) is probably identifying those players early enough that they're doing a stint there before playing for the reds. Wouldn't be surprised if there were a few were already in the Reds system before playing QPR though. In fact it's probably worth noting that Oates himself is from central Queensland originally.

Last edited:

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
There was a hooker for the Gundy Emu’s a few years back, Jack or John Cooke. Might have played in the first year of NRC and was offered a Reds development deal. Never played in QPR.

I think he blew his knee out though in pre-season or earlier and never came back.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Andrew King perhaps? Did Reece Good play from the Sunshine Coast before he moved to UQ?
What about Peter Healy a hooker from USQ Toowoomba or Keith Blaikie a prop that made the squad then suffered horrible back problems..

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What about Peter Healy a hooker from USQ Toowoomba or Keith Blaikie a prop that made the squad then suffered horrible back problems..
Don't think Healy ever played for QLD. Blaikie toured the UK with them and played once v Bath (which was, ironically, Andrew King's last game)