• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Don't really think Mckellar would give a shit about trying to pull down the Reds because he didn't get a job years ago. Would show a pretty petty person that I don't believe capable of building what the Brumbies currently have.

Stiles probably has a hit list of players, support staff that he knows are quality and wants them. Business decisions over trying to wage war against people you will probably work with again in the future at some stage.

Rae Rae
Let’s face it it is a war for talent and hence important to make sure culture and environment supports player retention.

Does seem a bit more turbulence at reds then the normal player turnover.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Culture is meant to be a Thorn strength.
Culture is a buzz word.
Each outfit has its own style, make up, values, accountabilities and behaviours.
Thorn is strong in specific ways but it appears his ways are not "sheep like" in following the other folk around RA.

I find it appalling in Australia that we stifle individualisms and unique efforts. We are becoming a sanitized bunch of robots.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Culture is meant to be a Thorn strength.

Yes I was going to say, any talk about 'culture' issues at the Reds would be hitting Thorn quite hard.

Rae Rae makes a good point though, in Thorn's case he came in with a pretty clear plan about the way he wanted to run the Reds, made a hard-line stance on some players, famously exiled Quade etc.

The players who remained clearly were galvanised by that approach at the time and went on to have a few really good years of rugby. But I think they're a bit worn down now.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Yes I was going to say, any talk about 'culture' issues at the Reds would be hitting Thorn quite hard.

Rae Rae makes a good point though, in Thorn's case he came in with a pretty clear plan about the way he wanted to run the Reds, made a hard-line stance on some players, famously exiled Quade etc.

The players who remained clearly were galvanised by that approach at the time and went on to have a few really good years of rugby. But I think they're a bit worn down now.
Worn down?
I understand burn out etc but could it be that they are not reaping the rewards?
Low number into Wallaby XV, not beating NZ teams, Not winning championships with dominance, smaller pay packets, less outside opportunities compared to peers in other states and style of game play would all be the issues that would have them second guessing the program.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Rennie at a training session this week did a drill to ask all the players to assume their normal positions they would take during a super rugby game. Apparently all the reds players immediately went behind the goal posts to wait for the conversion.

See Brad Thorns influence shining through even at the wallabies level.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Very keen to see Isaac Henry get a bit of game time off the bench for Australia A today. He's had a horror season with injury but looks set to feature a lot more next year, whichever the Stewart thing shakes out. Plenty of upside to having someone with his accuracy off the tea starting regularly next year too.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Culture is a buzz word.
Each outfit has its own style, make up, values, accountabilities and behaviours.
Thorn is strong in specific ways but it appears his ways are not "sheep like" in following the other folk around Rugby Australia.

I find it appalling in Australia that we stifle individualisms and unique efforts. We are becoming a sanitized bunch of robots.

This has to be a piss take, right?

You are defending Thorn on the basis that individualism and unique efforts should not be stiffed? Bwaahaha!

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Very keen to see Isaac Henry get a bit of game time off the bench for Australia A today. He's had a horror season with injury but looks set to feature a lot more next year, whichever the Stewart thing shakes out. Plenty of upside to having someone with his accuracy off the tea starting regularly next year too.
Yeah likewise, if Stewart moves on Henry will be a handy replacement. If it wasn’t for getting injured pre-season the rumour was he was in line to get first crack at the 12 position for Super Rugby this year.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)

Yeah likewise, if Stewart moves on Henry will be a handy replacement. If it wasn’t for getting injured pre-season the rumour was he was in line to get first crack at the 12 position for Super Rugby this year.

didn’t see Henry today.

saw him in the crowd in his team colours. Wonder why he was ruled out?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
For those that have seem him play at school a fair bit, or even this year in grades, what does Taj Annan bring to the table? I can't work out what sort of footballer he is, albeit I haven't seen enough of him to truly judge. Does he have a particular aspect of the game that really stands out?