• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

While everyone is pulling names and data I thought this is worth a look.

Source is wikipedia ( so each person has a say on their data)
Graham Price has no details listed
10 Best Props - not my list , is from RUCK.CO.UK so I am guessing some people with knowledge built the list

7/10 - taller than 6 foot

NAMECOUNTRYHEIGHTWEIGHT
Tendai MtawariraSA (Zim)1.88 m (6 ft 2 in)120 kg (260 lb; 18 st 13 lb)
Tom SmithScotland5 ft 10 in (178 cm)16 st 3 lb (103 kg; 227 lb)
Jannie du PlessisSA1.88 m (6 ft 2 in)121 kg (267 lb; 19 st 1 lb)
Marcos AyerzaArgentina1.85 m (6 ft 1 in)115 kg (18 st 2 lb) [1]
Graham PriceWales
Owen FranksNZ185 cm (6 ft 1 in)[1]122 kg (269 lb; 19 st 3 lb)[1]
Richard LoeNZ1.88 m (6 ft 2 in)116 kg (18 st 4 lb)
Os Du RandtSA1.90 m (6 ft 3 in)135 kg (298 lb; 21.3 st)
Cian HealyIreland1.85 m (6 ft 1 in)117 kg (18.4 st; 258 lb)
Jason LeonardEngland177 cm (5 ft 10 in)111 kg (245 lb; 17 st 7 lb)
Top 10 Props of all time - RuckLINK
The average weight and height of loosehead props in Europe (rugbypass.com)LINK

scrans21

Chris McKivat (8)
Francis is the same age group as Nasser and Faessler, i thought he was older.
Take him on a trial and train contract, put him on the shred and see how he goes dropping 15kg during pre-season.
Yep, he's clearly got the bulk but just needs to trim the fat. A rough pre-season under Thorn should do that to you.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Yep, he's clearly got the bulk but just needs to trim the fat. A rough pre-season under Thorn should do that to you.

His last professional pre-season didn't go too well for him if I recall. Came back 10kgs heavier and changed clubs twice in a year.

Would be interesting to hear from Dammers what has happened this year to get him back into form. Dammers is known to rub some of his senior players the wrong way, but things are obviously working with George.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
While everyone is pulling names and data I thought this is worth a look.

Source is wikipedia ( so each person has a say on their data)
Graham Price has no details listed
10 Best Props - not my list , is from RUCK.CO.UK so I am guessing some people with knowledge built the list

7/10 - taller than 6 foot

NAMECOUNTRYHEIGHTWEIGHT
Tendai MtawariraSA (Zim)1.88 m (6 ft 2 in)120 kg (260 lb; 18 st 13 lb)
Tom SmithScotland5 ft 10 in (178 cm)16 st 3 lb (103 kg; 227 lb)
Jannie du PlessisSA1.88 m (6 ft 2 in)121 kg (267 lb; 19 st 1 lb)
Marcos AyerzaArgentina1.85 m (6 ft 1 in)115 kg (18 st 2 lb) [1]
Graham PriceWales
Owen FranksNZ185 cm (6 ft 1 in)[1]122 kg (269 lb; 19 st 3 lb)[1]
Richard LoeNZ1.88 m (6 ft 2 in)116 kg (18 st 4 lb)
Os Du RandtSA1.90 m (6 ft 3 in)135 kg (298 lb; 21.3 st)
Cian HealyIreland1.85 m (6 ft 1 in)117 kg (18.4 st; 258 lb)
Jason LeonardEngland177 cm (5 ft 10 in)111 kg (245 lb; 17 st 7 lb)
Top 10 Props of all time - RuckLINK
The average weight and height of loosehead props in Europe (rugbypass.com)LINK

Ok so we can accept Van Nek won’t be ranked in the top 10 props in the world then based on this arbitrary list.

Does that mean Van Nek is too short for Super Rugby? No it fucken doesnt. Sprinboks have props shorter then him playing test rugby.

Let’s move past this.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Jack Debreczeni playing 5/8 for West-harbour on Stan at the moment, he would be a massive journeyman signing. But might be of value as 5/8 depth, seems more mature/composed these days

Andrew Deegan was playing fullback for Randwick last week too. Another option.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Here's a crack at what our best XV could look like:
1. Hoopert
2. Asiata
3. Tupou
4. Jones
5. Smith
6. Wright
7. McReight
8. Wilson
9. McDermott
10. O'Connor
11. Petaia
12. Paisami (is Stewart leaving?)
13. Flook
14. Vunivalu
15. Campbell
16. Faesslar/Nasser
17. Zander/Francis (if we actually sign him like some of the previous chat is suggesting)
18. Nongorr/van Nek (same as above)
19. Blyth
20. Uru
21. Thomas
22. Creighton/Lynagh
23. Daugunu/Henry/Grealy

Personally I would love it if we picked up Francis and van Nek. Reunite the Easts front row that absolutely tore through the Hospital Cup a few years ago. Considering how young both Francis and van Nek are I think there's a real opportunity to develop them into top-grade players.
I think that will be the team, unfortunately I don't see us having any real improvement left with essentially the same squad.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Hard to really get a feel for that in such a small sample and there are some contradictory statements. I know for fact LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) hasn’t been as polite behind closed doors about how he felt disrespected missing the final games of the season.

Obviously the interview is only snippets but:

- he feels like he’s hit a ceiling at the Reds and is upset about being looked over for selection

- but says everything is fine and the playing group are tightest ever, yet for the first time in several years there is a mass exodus of senior players, with more to come if sources are correct

Let’s be honest, I doubt channel 9 are going to show an exclusive interview where one of the departing players is totally candid and chews the coach out or the organisation, it doesn’t make sense for them to rubbish their own product.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
And why would LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) air his dirty laundry when he still has wallaby ambitions and wants to keep the door open to a possible return if his new contract doesn’t work out?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Wasn’t the story he missed a RA top up, QRU wanted to keep him but couldn’t afford to on their own?

Also he, ASY (Angus Scott-Young), Mafi, Tualima and Tupou (as well as Wright and Hoopert) were all in that Qld Under 20s team of 2016. All went on (maybe not Tuialima?) to that Qld Country team in the NRC (no sorry LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) was Brisbane City) and Qld. So Thorn has been basically the only senior coach they’ve had for 7 years. I could imagine that voice could get old pretty quickly. Some new ideas and coaching is probably long overdue for them.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) :

- he feels like he’s hit a ceiling at the Reds and is upset about being looked over for selection

- but says everything is fine and the playing group are tightest ever, yet for the first time in several years there is a mass exodus of senior players, with more to come if sources are correct

That contradiction spoke pretty loudly. At the same time, if there is (or has been) something going on, it looks like stuff is happening to try and get it under control.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Wasn’t the story he missed a Rugby Australia top up, QRU wanted to keep him but couldn’t afford to on their own?

Also he, ASY (Angus Scott-Young) (Angus Scott-Young), Mafi, Tualima and Tupou (as well as Wright and Hoopert) were all in that Qld Under 20s team of 2016. All went on (maybe not Tuialima?) to that Qld Country team in the NRC (no sorry LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) was Brisbane City) and Qld. So Thorn has been basically the only senior coach they’ve had for 7 years. I could imagine that voice could get old pretty quickly. Some new ideas and coaching is probably long overdue for them.
If the answer is they need a new voice and ideas (and I agree 7 years is a long time), is the solution having half a dozen established players leave? Or maybe a change in the coaching structure?

Obviously the players have the power to move so it isn’t so easy to control that situation, but maybe this is a short sighted view of the organisation that all these guys would be happy with the status quo for longer than anticipated.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

And why would LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) air his dirty laundry when he still has wallaby ambitions and wants to keep the door open to a possible return if his new contract doesn’t work out?
not only keeping that door open but for any other potential employer / club around the world. Difficult to get a gig if you become known in a negative light.