• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Canterbury have been focusing on their history quite a bit recently at the same time the seem to be really pushing back into providing elite teams kits. With the way the Reds marketed this announcement I'm pretty hopeful we'll see a classic jersey re-released for heritage round. That's the exact sort of thing I'm happy to pay the exorbitant jersey costs on.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Awesome!

The biggest thing I liked about the Link era was how we played to suit the opposition.

I remember a Reds v Shorks game from then being played with a totally different style to how we usually played & us coming away with the W.

I think it's a major component of what we've been missing since Link moved on

(This is missing at a Wallabies level too unfortunately)

This has been missing from all super rugby teams.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Canterbury have been focusing on their history quite a bit recently at the same time the seem to be really pushing back into providing elite teams kits. With the way the Reds marketed this announcement I'm pretty hopeful we'll see a classic jersey re-released for heritage round. That's the exact sort of thing I'm happy to pay the exorbitant jersey costs on.

Yep. There’ll be some activity celebrating 140 years of Qld Rugby next year. You’d think something like this will happen.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Be aware, people are spamming the Reds facebook with fake streaming links for today's game, none of them are legit and you don't need to pay any money for the stream. Correct stream will appear on their facebook feed when ready.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Great game of rugby.

you’d think Fittock and Anderson are halfway there to booking their tickets to Japan. They were great this afternoon.

Who do we all think were the standouts in the president XV? Was one way traffic second half for the reds development squad.
I thought Dobbins and Oates both had great games, and the Bond centre pairing of Campbell and Boardman were great in the first half.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yep. Agree with the above.

From a 'non-squad' perspective Fittock was outstanding and Anderson very good. Liked Wallis too.

Not many from the Reds team disappointed, at least the squad players. Grealy was very good at the back and Creighton looking more and more comfortable at flyhalf. Both scrumhalves were good while I thought both Blyths were great, albeit a few Wilson mistakes. Very physical. Not really a game for props. Tauakipulu impresses me more and more of late. Aubrey was magic early but I think his injury cost his team a couple of tries.

For the Presidents team, yeah Oates and Dobbins and Campbell were very good. Samuela was busy while Navosailagi was dangerous. Don't think anyone from the PXV really jumps into consideration for the tour yet. Dobbins closest but we have heaps of hookers. I'd have had Oates before Fittock before today. But Joey was great.

Bloody fast game - great for pre-pre-season. Get's some fitness in and decision making under pressure. A pretty high quality game all things considered.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Hoopert out for Super Rugby which is a huge blow.

No more stuffing around with Zander at 3 now. He needs to step up.

Who else could we consider? Sef probably first choice? Does anyone know what Emosi Tuqiri is up to? I guess Liam Usher or JP Tominiki come into consideration. I do like Alex Davies too. Do we consider Richie Asiata as a LHP with plenty of hooker depth (and a contract for Dobbins!)

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)

Who else could we consider? Sef probably first choice? Does anyone know what Emosi Tuqiri is up to? I guess Liam Usher or JP Tominiki come into consideration. I do like Alex Davies too. Do we consider Richie Asiata as a LHP with plenty of hooker depth (and a contract for Dobbins!)
Massive shame - surely we can't have an injury toll like '22 again :oops:

I have Sef above Zander in my mind. How did both perform yesterday?

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)

Interesting observation from the presidents XV lineup was Liam Usher donning the 16 jersey.

I wonder if reds have asked him to trial at hooker? Pretty sure he did not wear 2 or 16 all year in QPR.

Wilson

David Codey (61)

Terrible new for Hoopert, but it definitely opens the door for the props turning out in the Challenger series. I'm guessing the initial will be Zander and Fa'agase as the looseheads with Tupou and Nonggorr covering tighthead.

Lots of options to then round the squad out, I'd like to see 2 players added for cover - 1 prop and 1 hooker (ideally Dobbins) to free Asiata/Nasser/Blake to cover prop if needed. We did end up using 5 hookers this year anyway, so having that coverage again couldn't hurt. Not sure who they'll go with for the prop though, the two I would've most like to see looked at are Francis and Van Nek, and neither of them are in the challenger series. I guess it will come down to next weeks performance to get a seat on the plane to Japan and then they'll go from there. The alternative is signing someone like Shambeckler Vui from Japan, but I think I'd prefer to see them focus on challenger series options, unless there's an absolute star loosehead available.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Terrible new for Hoopert, but it definitely opens the door for the props turning out in the Challenger series. I'm guessing the initial will be Zander and Fa'agase as the looseheads with Tupou and Nonggorr covering tighthead.

Lots of options to then round the squad out, I'd like to see 2 players added for cover - 1 prop and 1 hooker (ideally Dobbins) to free Asiata/Nasser/Blake to cover prop if needed. We did end up using 5 hookers this year anyway, so having that coverage again couldn't hurt. Not sure who they'll go with for the prop though, the two I would've most like to see looked at are Francis and Van Nek, and neither of them are in the challenger series. I guess it will come down to next weeks performance to get a seat on the plane to Japan and then they'll go from there. The alternative is signing someone like Shambeckler Vui from Japan, but I think I'd prefer to see them focus on challenger series options, unless there's an absolute star loosehead available.
Hope they back a local developed product in preference for looking offshore.

Would put a whole lot more value in the program they seem to be developing with the Challenger Series.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

Yeah, I'd be looking for some experience with the void of Hooper. Again, with Worcester going under hopefully there's a loose head up there that would be keen to fill an emergency contract?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Rhys Van Nek is a good local option, though apparently Brumbies were looking at him. Emosi Tuqiri is another who should deserve a look, although Fiji are looking at him? Still he should be eligible for Reds.

I have little hope with Zander, his development plateaued and his scrummaging with UQ albeit at THP was pretty average, they were minced by plenty this year.

no scrum coach remains a concern as well.

Last edited:

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Potentially all of them - no problems with any of them but it'll take more time to tell.

I really like the effect of the advantage changes, though I know Larkham didn't like them after the Brumbies trial. That may just make me like them more though.

yeah that was the stand out for me but thinking about it the Five-second ruck (strict compliance from use it call) law was good too. No caterpillar rucks and now slow set up box kicks