• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Brumbies - RD10 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Biggest danger for the Reds is the best 7 (by far) in the country - "Japanese George"

Big call. Gill wiped the floor with All Black no.7 Sam Cane last week. wouldn't be surprised to see Gilly win a points decision on saturday.

P

Paradox

Big call. Gill wiped the floor with All Black no.7 Sam Cane last week. wouldn't be surprised to see Gilly win a points decision on saturday.

Smith was still the best 7 this week though. He was outstanding.

11 runs for 67 m, 22 tackles, 1 offload, 1 try, 1 line break and he won quite a few turnovers as well.

Gill

9 runs for 25 m, 16 tackles. Not sure how many turnovers he forced

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Smith was still the best 7 this week though. He was outstanding.

11 runs for 67 m, 22 tackles, 1 offload, 1 try, 1 line break and he won quite a few turnovers as well.

Gill

9 runs for 25 m, 16 tackles. Not sure how many turnovers he forced

Well stats are stats arent they. The Reds were playing a team at the top of the table. The Brumbies were playing a team rooted at the bottom of the table. lets see how this weekend turns out.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
When is George leaving you guys? what round/date? that'll be a massive blow
His to leave at the start of June, But he will stay if we are in finals contention. Fast Eddie and Jake White will make sure of that, staying to the end of the season only means he misses pre-season over there. And from what I've read the Japanese love the look we have a Wallaby /Super 15 winner in our team his a super star come visit.

But if he does leave for the final series it could cost us the whole she bang.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Personally I think the Reds backrow works better as a unit, hence why Gill probably doesn't stand-out as much as George Smith does.

Mowen, Auelua and Smith are a good backrow, don't get me wrong, but as a unit Quirk/Gill/Shatz works better together.

I would argue as far as workrate as a unit goes, they're the best in the competition.

something

Jim Clark (26)
His to leave at the start of June, But he will stay if we are in finals contention. Fast Eddie and Jake White will make sure of that, staying to the end of the season only means he misses pre-season over there. And from what I've read the Japanese love the look we have a Wallaby /Super 15 winner in our team his a super star come visit.

But if he does leave for the final series it could cost us the whole she bang.

and yet he cant play wobs.... (sigh)

would love to see Smith & Gill > Gill & Hooper. I just feel as if Hooper hasn't been up to it this year whereas Gill & Smith have gone above and beyond.

It's just such a bummer there is no Pocock. He is one of my favourite players to watch. Imagine Pocock & Smith for wallabies 7. It would strike fear into the lions hearts!

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Personally I think the Reds backrow works better as a unit, hence why Gill probably doesn't stand-out as much as George Smith does.

Mowen, Auelua and Smith are a good backrow, don't get me wrong, but as a unit Quirk/Gill/Shatz works better together.

I would argue as far as workrate as a unit goes, they're the best in the competition.

I think that's a big call, I dont even believe Mowen Auelua and Smith are the Brumbies best back row, I reckon you will find this week (if Fardy's back) and like the first round it will be Kilmin, Smith and Mowen, with Auelua on the bench. So Pack will be Alexander Moore Palmer Fardy Carter Kilman Smith Mowen. And I dont see over the first half of the season you can say that Quirk/Gill/Shatz will be a better unit then the brumbies have. Just dont see it. Where you will have the advantage is Horwill coming back and Genia leading them around. Although Nic White's fantastic in defence.

something

Jim Clark (26)
IMO Individual Match Ups (sorry if i got some numbers wrong like 1, 3, 4 & 5) Also going on Fardy not being back. Red numbers indicate potential wallabies selection position

15 Lance v Mogg (although, a very different role) 14 Shipperley v Speight
13 A Fainga'a v Kuridrani
12 Tapuai v Lilo (too close to call)
11 Ioane v Tomane (based on this season's form)
10 Cooper v To'omua - funny how the two aussie in-form 10's both weren't picked for wallabies squad
9 Genia v White
8 Schatz v Auelua (too close, again play a very different role)
7 Gill v Smith
6 Quirk v Mowen (c)
5 Horwill (c) v Kimlin
4 Simmons v Carter
3 Slipper v Alexander
2 Hanson v Moore
1 Holmes v Sio

reds 5
brums 8
2 evens

Interestingly, a potential wallaby in almost every position. (based on the 30 man squad) Between us reds & brums fans on here, I would love to have an almost entirely qld/act wallabies. Put a few tahs & rebs on the bench

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
IMO Individual Match Ups (sorry if i got some numbers wrong like 1, 3, 4 & 5) Also going on Fardy not being back. Red numbers indicate potential wallabies selection position

10 Cooper v To'omua - funny how the two aussie in-form 10's both weren't picked for wallabies squad
9 Genia v White
7 Gill v Smith
6 Quirk v Mowen (c)
5 Horwill (c) v Kimlin
4 Simmons v Carter
3 Slipper v Alexander
2 Hanson v Moore
1 Holmes v Sio

reds 5
brums 8
2 evens

Interestingly, a potential wallaby in almost every position. (based on the 30 man squad) Between us reds & brums fans on here, I would love to have an almost entirely qld/act wallabies. Put a few tahs & rebs on the bench

I hope Fardy is back, and I think you will see a front row of 1. Alexander 2.Moore 3.Palmer for the Brumbies. I think you got a bit of a reach to think Lance will ever play Test rugby. I dont think Tomane has been in the greatest form this year as a Brumbies fan he started behind Rathbone and Speight and while being alright hasn't set the world on fire. Ioane will have the wing spot come Wallabies time. Rathbone maybe put back on to mark him this weekend. I also dont think simmons has been that much better then Carter. Carter gets through a mountain of work is great in the lineouts and the scrum doesn't lose anything with him. If he could just keep the pen's down he'd be going great.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I am really looking forward to this one. I honestly could not bare to punt on who will win it as I believe it will be a close one.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I foresee a kickfest at Lang Park on Saturday night. The Brumbies went back to the field position game on Friday that has worked so well for them in the past and it paid off. Reds will want to play out of their half to take White's massive boot out of the equation.
Reds scrum will be under loads of pressure but I think their lineout has improved. They have to make sure they mark up well on Mowen as he calls to himself a lot of the time.

P

Paradox

Well stats are stats arent they. The Reds were playing a team at the top of the table. The Brumbies were playing a team rooted at the bottom of the table. lets see how this weekend turns out.

G&GR and SMH had Smith as their starting 7 in team of the week. Not just stats. Gill had a v good game as well but Smith was pretty amazing.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Reds were playing a team at the top of the table. The Brumbies were playing a team rooted at the bottom of the table. lets see how this weekend turns out.

Given the unpredictability in results this year, performances on the day factors in greater than table position.........

P

Paradox

I think that's a big call, I dont even believe Mowen Auelua and Smith are the Brumbies best back row, I reckon you will find this week (if Fardy's back) and like the first round it will be Kilmin, Smith and Mowen, with Auelua on the bench. So Pack will be Alexander Moore Palmer Fardy Carter Kilman Smith Mowen. And I dont see over the first half of the season you can say that Quirk/Gill/Shatz will be a better unit then the brumbies have. Just dont see it. Where you will have the advantage is Horwill coming back and Genia leading them around. Although Nic White's fantastic in defence.

I'm with you BJ, I reckon it'll be Kimlin, Smith and Mowen.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I foresee a kickfest at Lang Park on Saturday night. The Brumbies went back to the field position game on Friday that has worked so well for them in the past and it paid off. Reds will want to play out of their half to take White's massive boot out of the equation.
Reds scrum will be under loads of pressure but I think their lineout has improved. They have to make sure they mark up well on Mowen as he calls to himself a lot of the time.

Reds need to kick for touch. Mogg will beat Cooper and Lance in a territory battle every time.

Given the unpredictability in results this year, performances on the day factors in greater than table position...

A better comparison would be comparing Smiths and Gills first halves against the Highlanders to remove more variables but people will still argue.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I will surprised if this an open game, I too see a kickfest, with neither team really being confident enough to open it up. Much as we all like to knock our NH bethern about kicking in games, unfortunately or not it tends to win games.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)

9 Genia v White
7 Gill v Smith
6 Quirk v Mowen (c)
5 Horwill (c) v Kimlin
4 Simmons v Carter
3 Slipper v Alexander
2 Hanson v Moore
1 Holmes v Sio

reds 5
brums 8
2 evens

15. Mogg (just for kicking only) Lance much better at defence. Someone will run over Moggy - so even
14. Rocket
13. A Finger
12 Lilo.
11. Digby
10. Cooper
9. Genia
8.Schatz (because of workload)
7. Smith (just playing great - tackling, fetching, nuisance)
6. Mowen
5, Horwill (busy, tough, leader)
4. Simmons (work ethic)
3. Slipper by far - top OZ prop tackler per game - total 77 or 9.6 per game - Alexander total 44 or 5.5 per game
2. Moore (best in OZ but Hansen coming of age
1. Holmes - (second top Oz prop tackler - total 58 0r 7.2 per game - Sio 44 or 4.4 per game - Palmer total of 29 or 4.1 per game

The busier Reds tight 5 (with exception of Moore) will get on top of the Brums forwards setting up fast ball for Genia and Cooper.

Therefore Something based on your criteria:

Reds x 10
Brums x 4
1x even

Status
Not open for further replies.