• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Brumbies - Take 1

griffins

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Interesting rewatching this with fresh eyes, that scoreline flattered the reds. They took a couple of chances but overall the Brums had the better if the play. No standouts but no poor performers either on Brums side, Lolesio very tidy at 10 though and telling that he wasn't subbed off.

Reds are a difficult matchup for Brums as they tend to drag the game into a shitfight, brums will be pleased with the result and confident that they are clearly the better side.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Interesting rewatching this with fresh eyes, that scoreline flattered the reds. They took a couple of chances but overall the Brums had the better if the play. No standouts but no poor performers either on Brums side, Lolesio very tidy at 10 though and telling that he wasn't subbed off.

Reds are a difficult matchup for Brums as they tend to drag the game into a shitfight, brums will be pleased with the result and confident that they are clearly the better side.
Not clearly at all. At the end, the Reds were dominant.
Another 10 minutes and the result could have been for the Reds

griffins

Jimmy Flynn (14)
[/QUOTE
Reds looked good from set piece, where the above mentioned collapsing tactic gave them clean ball. If they couldn't generate momentum first or second phase they weren't threatening, running the same pedestrian cross field shape off O'Connor that has never been effective against good defenses.

The clear positive is the ongoing form of Petaia, who is adding polish to his outrageous skillset and athleticism. McReight was also very busy, and although he's probably ahead at this stage I'm expecting Hooper to finish over the top of him.

Last edited:

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Reds looked good from set piece, where the above mentioned collapsing tactic gave them clean ball. If they couldn't generate momentum first or second phase they weren't threatening, running the same pedestrian cross field shape off O'Connor that has never been effective against good defenses.

The clear positive is the ongoing form of Petaia, who is adding polish to his outrageous skillset and athleticism. McReight was also very busy, and although he's probably ahead at this stage I'm expecting Hooper to finish over the top of him.

Quite the contrary I think.

I thought our set piece was far from solid. Line outs at 76% and forced a lot to a) no 2 jumper or b) tricky dicky moves. Ref didn't police straight throws (both teams guilty) and quite some latitude given by the ref on one (late) sacking of the line out by the Reds. Formally we won our scrum but again the ref was pretty quiet allowing plenty of latitude as long as the ball could be reached by the half. Zander was close to a scrum penalty frequently. At least one "win" with the pack going backwards. It created problems for the Reds structure throughout the first half.

Reds game picked up when JOC (James O'Connor) entered the fray with a heap more organisation and the Reds shaping up to match or better the Brumbies in the second half. So far JOC (James O'Connor)'s return is looking promising.

griffins

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Quite the contrary I think.

I thought our set piece was far from solid. Line outs at 76% and forced a lot to a) no 2 jumper or b) tricky dicky moves. Ref didn't police straight throws (both teams guilty) and quite some latitude given by the ref on one (late) sacking of the line out by the Reds. Formally we won our scrum but again the ref was pretty quiet allowing plenty of latitude as long as the ball could be reached by the half. Zander was close to a scrum penalty frequently. At least one "win" with the pack going backwards. It created problems for the Reds structure throughout the first half.

Reds game picked up when JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) entered the fray with a heap more organisation and the Reds shaping up to match or better the Brumbies in the second half. So far JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor)'s return is looking promising.

Agree your set piece was shakey, but when you actually won ball from it you looked the most threatening. Wilson and Petaia try came second and first phase from scrum. I maintain that your multiphase attack was pedestrian, with not many opportunities created outside of a high skill connection between JOC (James O'Connor) and Petaia for the other try.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Agree your set piece was shakey, but when you actually won ball from it you looked the most threatening. Wilson and Petaia try came second and first phase from scrum. I maintain that your multiphase attack was pedestrian, with not many opportunities created outside of a high skill connection between JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) and Petaia for the other try.
Reds scored same number of muli-phase tries as the Brumbies did

griffins

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Reds scored same number of muli-phase tries as the Brumbies did

Yep and also threatened occassionally in unstructured play, most prominently through Dangunu. The sad Red fans on here who complain about the boring mauling Brumbies do need to realise that as much as the reds have had success against them, their style does not translate vs other quality sides. Results in the return fixture and vs the Kiwi sides will be telling, and as Jones has said, will be a big factor in test selection.

Anyway really looking forward to again hearing how unlucky Harry Wilson is.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yep and also threatened occassionally in unstructured play, most prominently through Dangunu. The sad Red fans on here who complain about the boring mauling Brumbies do need to realise that as much as the reds have had success against them, their style does not translate vs other quality sides. Results in the return fixture and vs the Kiwi sides will be telling, and as Jones has said, will be a big factor in test selection.

Anyway really looking forward to again hearing how unlucky Harry Wilson is.

This is awkward, no Reds fan has commented in this thread about the Brumbies mauls been boring, you, a Brumbies fan are the only one to bring that up.

griffins

Jimmy Flynn (14)
This is awkward, no Reds fan has commented in this thread about the Brumbies mauls been boring, you, a Brumbies fan are the only one to bring that up.
Very clever. I've imagined the 500 other comments across various other threads on this website over the last few years have I?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I dunno man, no one was talking about it here, you're jumping at shadows.

Despite losing, I thought both teams played an entertaining game with how it was allowed to play and didn't think it really warranted a post-match disection. Be happy your team won.

Last edited:

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think it was telling that the Brumbies did NOT cynically infringe as soon as the Reds entered the danger zone. They knew (just as the hurricanes did) that the Reds would manufacture a way to lose the ball on their own as the phase count builds.

It's a troubling area, and one that really shouldn't be there given the Reds seem to be able to manufacture a lot of scoring opportunities but somehow just seem to blow it so often.

I thought the Reds did well this game, but I am extremely disappointed they didn't win by 32 points. Brumbies just too well structured.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I dunno man, no one was talking about it here, you're jumping at shadows.

Despite losing, I thought both teams played an entertaining game with how it was allowed to play and didn't think it really warranted a post-match disection. Be happy your team won.
I didn't bring up the mauls, but I did offer up the cynical infringements.

Does that count?

Reactions: TSR