• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Brumbies - Take 1

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Bit awkward that 1/3 of their head coaches have come from QLD then isn't it?
Yeah, I guess.

Their talent ID, and professional player development is far superior to ours though.

Pretty decent achievement for a pointless country town, I reckon.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Yeah, I guess.

Their talent ID, and professional player development is far superior to ours though.

Pretty decent achievement for a pointless country town, I reckon.

Said it much better than me - the talent ID and development of players is what I meant.

Brumbies didn’t sign 4 Wallaby hookers. 2 were U20 stars, sure, but they chose the Brumbies for a reason. The Lonergans are Canberra boys anyway, so let’s exclude them from this.

Fainga'a was working on a construction site, if I remember right, and decided to give rugby a proper crack and see what happened - there was another islander prop he’s mates with that made a pact together to have a proper go at it - Brumbies talent ID picked Fainga'a out and the development made him a Wallaby.

McInnerney was a journeyman who couldn’t get a gig in Aus, played in Europe for a bit then was ID’d by the Brumbies, put through Lord’s rugby university and boom, another Wallaby.

It’s such a consistent story that the other teams really should ask for advice on the structures and what is going on behind the scenes - RA should be all ‘request and require’ all teams to a meeting to share the wisdom.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Bit awkward that 1/3 of their head coaches have come from QLD then isn't it?

2/3rds.

It is said that Lord Laurie really learnt his stuff during his 5 years playing for the University of QLD Rugby Club in the early 80s alongside the likes of Loane, Hall and McIntyre.

Lord.JPG

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
McInnerney was a journeyman who couldn’t get a gig in Aus, played in Europe for a bit then was ID’d by the Brumbies, put through Lord’s rugby university and boom, another Wallaby.
if by "boom" you mean COVID hit and other contenders were not available..

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
2/3rds.

It is said that Lord Laurie really learnt his stuff during his 5 years playing for the University of QLD Rugby Club in the early 80s alongside the likes of Loane, Hall and McIntyre.

View attachment 15427
I was meaning over their history of head coaches - Nucifora, Rea, and McKellar are all QLD products.

Not sure how that can be, seeing as we're too busy resting on our Lauries laurels

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Maybe you could develop your own coaching pathways and players, so that when you sign those players and coach them well, they all become Wallabies capped despite being in the same position in the same team?!

Lord Laurie must really know his shit - Fainga'a, McInerney, Lonergan and Pollard all hadn’t played a game of Super Rugby and all are capped Wallabies now.
It is amazing how all 4 hookers have had starts with the Wallabies. It’s almost like juniors were the rep coach picks all the kids from his club.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I want to make it clear - I am not someone who attends Summernats.

Sadly the only fireworks available these days are political scandals and defamation trials.

Elon might have a good time though

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I think this trolling session is going well, but I need to sleep on our table position and think of some new material.

Tomikin, Brumby Runner - pad up.

Rodha-

1678278116405.gif

you’re still on radio duty.

Last edited:

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
The main problem I see for the Brumbies is that their very high intensity game last weekend against the Blues in torrid heat conditions will prevent them from another high performance two weeks in a row.
Whereas it was later in the day when the Reds played the Force and they had it easy (getting in excess of 70 points).

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
AAA is a massive out though. Assuming he’s out. The good think is that RVN proved himself capable of playing big minutes last week. And he’s only facing Zander.

If AAA is out then would White start and skipper or would they hand the captaincy armband straight to Lonergan? He’s been the form Aussie 9 this season and is probably favorite for the Wallaby 9 spot at the moment.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I can see Van Nek folding Zander. Then with Slipper and Schoup the Reds up front are in trouble.

I wonder when the Brumbies will rotate the Halfbacks. Lonergans best chance for the Wallabies is to get ahead of Tate for the no.2 spot IMO. White is the best 9 we have. Lonergans kicking will help is cause

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
AAA is a massive out though. Assuming he’s out. The good think is that RVN proved himself capable of playing big minutes last week. And he’s only facing Zander.

If AAA is out then would White start and skipper or would they hand the captaincy armband straight to Lonergan? He’s been the form Aussie 9 this season and is probably favorite for the Wallaby 9 spot at the moment.
Van Nek was very good last week I thought and Schoup great the week before. But AAA does a massive amount of little things right.

It will be a big plus for the Reds if AAA isn’t available- although I feel for the bloke with the number of recent concussions.