• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds V Chiefs Round 17 Sat 6th June

Status
Not open for further replies.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
So, the Chiefs are not sailing as smoothly without Aaron Cruden to steer the ship.
And the Reds have grown another set of legs with Quade Cooper coming back from injury.
I'm tipping that this is going to be very close, with the former side off the boil and the latter side performing their best this season,
Should be a good crowd at Suncorp as Big Kev and Sanchez waving goodbye there.
Prediction that Reds will win as a going away present.

397727-b54f76fa-08e5-11e5-8933-556e3a23c467.jpg

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Reds to field probably their strongest team of the year, at Suncorp with a big crowd to farewell a few of the stalwarts.

The Chiefs are hurting with injuries and have lost their way a bit.

The Reds have won 2 of their last three. Both wins with 4 try BP's and the loss was a less than 7 BP loss.

The Chiefs have won 1 game in the last 5 rounds with last week down in Invercargill being probably one of the more dire performances I've seen from them.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I'm predicting Reds to get ahead of themselves and Chiefs remember who they are. Reds to be thumped.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Yeah what Qwerty said. They were very ordinary last week.

I definitely think the Reds can get up in this one!!

T

Train Without a Station

This like the Crusaders game is an opportunity for the Reds to get a good win. Hopefully they turn up unlike the Crusaders game.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Tribe are looking a little rudderless at the moment, and the Reds could steal the chocolates if they approach the game the way they did in Perth.

If they do win, who gets the credit? Coach Woody, Konsultant Knuckles or the players?

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
St.George Queensland Reds side to play Chiefs at Suncorp Stadium
1. James Slipper (C)
2. James Hanson
3. Greg Holmes
4. Rob Simmons (VC)
5. James Horwill
6. Adam Thomson
7. Liam Gill
8. Jake Schatz
9. Will Genia
10. Quade Cooper
11. Lachie Turner
12. Samu Kerevi
13. Karmichael Hunt
14. Chris Feauai-Sautia
15. James O’Connor

Extended bench (one to be omitted)
Saia Fainga’a
Pettowa Paraka
Sam Talakai
Ed O’Donoghue
Beau Robinson
Hendrik Tui
Nick Frisby
Ben Tapuai
Jake McIntyre

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
So the one to be ommitted, do you think it will be one of Tui/Robinson or McIntyre?

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
The Tribe are looking a little rudderless at the moment, and the Reds could steal the chocolates if they approach the game the way they did in Perth.

If they do win, who gets the credit? Coach Woody, Konsultant Knuckles or the players?

The fans. It will because they wanted to give one back to the faithful. We can take full credit for it I reckon.

Reactions: dru

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So the one to be ommitted, do you think it will be one of Tui/Robinson or McIntyre?
I'd like to see both Robinson and Tui get some game time.

Maybe Taps might miss out. Many of the backs named and on the bench can play several positions, whereas Taps is pretty much pigeon holed as a centre only.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I'd like to see both Robinson and Tui get some game time.

Maybe Taps might miss out. Many of the backs named and on the bench can play several positions, whereas Taps is pretty much pigeon holed as a centre only.

I think most people would be keen to see that HJ. I went with Jake as the back to be dropped on a 6/2 bench because he's only really a 10 and a green one at that. Neither him or Taps cover a lot of positions but of the two I reckon I'd have Taps on the pine.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
With Pickle on the bench and CFS, Turner and JOC (James O'Connor) in the team you could go a 6/2 split. Worth it v the Chiefs? Not sure but still probably a better balance than having Jake Mc on the bench

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
With Pickle on the bench and CFS, Turner and JOC (James O'Connor) in the team you could go a 6/2 split. Worth it v the Chiefs? Not sure but still probably a better balance than having Jake Mc on the bench

I see Jake McIntyre getting some game time, for two reasons:
1) Reds really do need fly half backup as this season and previous seasons have proved, particularly if QC (Quade Cooper) goes to beret land.
2) QC (Quade Cooper) in spite of playing a cracker of a game last week is probably not yet totally match fit

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

The Chiefs forward pack has some new personnel with Mitchell Graham and Siate Tokolahi starting in the front row. Brodie Retallick and Liam Messam both return from injury to bolster the pack.
Halfback Augustine Pulu will play his 50th match in Chiefs colours. In the midfield Tim Nanai-Williams starts on the left wing with Andrew Horrell joining Charlie Ngatai in the midfield. Bryce Heem moves to the right wing and Tom Marshall returns at fullback.
The bench gets a make over with Pauliasi Manu, Jarrod Firth,Matt Symons, Maama Vaipulu, Damian McKenzie and Anton Lienert-Brown all joining the reserves.

1. Mitchell Graham
2. Hika Elliot
3. Siate Tokolahi
4. Michael Fitzgerald
5. Brodie Retallick
6. Liam Messam ©
7. Sam Cane
8. Michael Leitch
9. Augustine Pulu (50th match)
10. Marty McKenzie
11. Tim Nanai-Williams
12. Andrew Horrell
13. Charlie Ngatai
14. Bryce Heem
15. Tom Marshall

16. Quentin MacDonald
17. Pauliasi Manu
18. Jarrod Firth
19. Matt Symons
20. Maama Vaipulu
21. Brad Weber
22. Damian McKenzie
23. Anton Lienert-Brown

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Not as weak a Chiefs side as I'd hoped but we should still feel pretty good about our chances.

No idea about that Chiefs front row but you would think we should have ascendency at scrum time.
The lineout will be interesting with Retallick back and we will need to stop him in our mauls as he is excellent at destroying them.
Out loosies are going to really have to put in and the Messam/Cane vs Thomson/Gill battle could be epic!

They have some quality dotted through their back line but I think I like the look of ours better as long as we show the intent and work off the ball that we did last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.