• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Stormers Rd 7 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I disagree, Dwyer is a big fan of squaring up the attack & not drifting with the ball in hand.
He also strongly promotes having multiple runners,so the ball carrier has options.
But yeah,I agree that he does not give the drift defence enough credit in shutting down plays.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Halfbacks need to be able to pass off the ground and maybe should do it more.

This, and the double-pump gives time for an opposition to advance, thereby reducing the time available for a "move".

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
The slide defence these days is so much better than in Dwyer's coaching days that if you repeatedly just pass from the ground and put it through the hands, then even two man overlaps will be shut down quite easily. I suspect that if Dwyer coached a modern pro rugby team that they would look a little like the Stormers on attack - one dimensional and easily read.

Halfbacks need to be able to pass off the ground and maybe should do it more, but you can't criticise halfbacks for scooting first as it's a proven tactic.

If he was scooting first there may be some validity to your point, however Genia often runs sideways or backwards, which is totally counter-productive.

Overlaps can only be covered if the inside backs don't straighten and threaten the line with the inside ball. This requires multiple runners at different angles. These skills are becoming less prevalent today because the balance between attacking and defending at the breakdown has changed from 20 years ago, allowing the rise to supremacy of the South African kick/chase gameplan.

If you rewatch the Tahs/Sharks game you can see that Jake White has refined it into an artform. The Sharks almost never ran a backline move so that their backs did not need to learn the necessary skills. To be a back at the Sharks requires you to be able to tackle, run fast, catch a high ball. With the current state of rule interpretation, that's all that is needed. If rolling away was policed and the diving in of defenders at the ruck was stopped then it would change the dynamic completely.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Stormers now had their nightmare tour but at least they can take some positives back home. They really show some heart with all the injuries and played well in this one. You cant expect to win without lineout ball but they7 nearly did and fight till the end. This week is important to knock over the Waratahs with Oom Gert now our new coaching boss.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
This, and the double-pump gives time for an opposition to advance, thereby reducing the time available for a "move".

In my opinion if a halfback at Super Rugby/Test level double pumps and doesn't snipe they just had a brain explosion and got caught in two minds.

Only time I can think of the double pump and pass from a ruck being a good idea would be if you were attacking close or something, maybe on the blind side if you had a 2-on-2, etc.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Genia's long kicking game is good.

My issue is his decision making regarding kicks. He is almost robotic now in kicking away turnover ball, and teams expect it. In recent games we have actually lost field position when turning over opposition ball thanks to Genia's kicks!

My other issue is that Genia's a bit robotic now with his style of play, he has missed a few running options earlier this year that he would've taken 2 or 3 years ago.

I actually disagree slightly with Dwyer on some aspects. To me, Dwyer tends to be locked in one to two decades old rugby. Most modern halfbacks will scoot first before passing, particularly vs static defence. This stops the pillars and posts from early sliding across field.

The slide defence these days is so much better than in Dwyer's coaching days that if you repeatedly just pass from the ground and put it through the hands, then even two man overlaps will be shut down quite easily. I suspect that if Dwyer coached a modern pro rugby team that they would look a little like the Stormers on attack - one dimensional and easily read.

Halfbacks need to be able to pass off the ground and maybe should do it more, but you can't criticise halfbacks for scooting first as it's a proven tactic.

I am glad someone else shares my views on the apparently untouchable Dwyer.

Not only is he stuck in a 20 year old rut, even that history (95) doesn't look great!

Status
Not open for further replies.