• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Waratahs in Townsville

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Another disappointing season for the reds, hard to see them making finals from here especially given their terrible record v NZ teams
Agree! They are likely to lose all four games from here, best chance will be the Highlanders in Dunedin.

Tonight I thought McReight clearly won his battle with Hooper. I think the old dog is just about ready for the couch. Wilson gave it everything but needs to pick his moments. He is involved too much and it detracts from his performance. The Reds tight five should be doing much more to take up the slack. Gleeson was good but he is getting over-hyped. Several times he got knocked backwards. The most important backrower for the Tahs is Taleni Seu, he was enormous. I have a feeling he was injured when replaced, I hope it's not serious. Charlie Gamble is not yet back to his best, but on tonight's performance I'd rest Hooper and give him a full game or two at seven. The most missed player from the team is Bell, he would make a huge difference.

Donaldson's field play was mostly not good. His kicking coach seems to have ironed out his place kicks though; at that he was much better than last week.

Some good things from the Tahs tonight but nowhere near a complete performance. This will be another season where we exit in the QF's I think, unless we can improve substantially.

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)
We are the mighty Waratahs
Rough and tumble rugby stars
We play the game as it should be played

Famous when we run the ball
We can scrum, and ruck and maul
Playing the game as it should be played

Waratahs! Waratahs!
We play the game as it should be played
Famous when we run the ball
We can scrum and ruck and maul
Playing the game as it should be played

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Agree! They are likely to lose all four games from here, best chance will be the Highlanders in Dunedin.

Tonight I thought McReight clearly won his battle with Hooper. I think the old dog is just about ready for the couch. Wilson gave it everything but needs to pick his moments. He is involved too much and it detracts from his performance. The Reds tight five should be doing much more to take up the slack. Gleeson was good but he is getting over-hyped. Several times he got knocked backwards. The most important backrower for the Tahs is Taleni Seu, he was enormous. I have a feeling he was injured when replaced, I hope it's not serious. Charlie Gamble is not yet back to his best, but on tonight's performance I'd rest Hooper and give him a full game or two at seven. The most missed player from the team is Bell, he would make a huge difference.

Donaldson's field play was mostly not good. His kicking coach seems to have ironed out his place kicks though; at that he was much better than last week.

Some good things from the Tahs tonight but nowhere near a complete performance. This will be another season where we exit in the QF's I think, unless we can improve substantially.
It's a shame because there is some real talent in the team. That backline has some real ability. Pietsch still has some rough edges, but he is an exciting player. Nawaqanitawase is really strong in contact these days and has a nice offload. Jorgensen has some youthful pace and a nice touch.

Besides Bell which I wholeheartedly agree with, Harrison has also been a loss too. I feel like the team might be humming a little better if he'd been fit and at 10 this season. Donaldson is obviously trying and he is to be fair improving a little week on week, but he still feels like a player where it hasn't entirely clicked and he's up in his head. Body language is in stark contrast to Gordon's (Rebel). One looks like they are loving their Rugby.. the other, I'm not so sure.

The various injuries have obviously had an impact on the continuity of the the team this season which is a shame.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Holloway continues to put in impressive performances whether at lock or 6. He is really showing the potential he had when playing 8 at Southern Districts. MOTM for me.

McReight had a belter in a losing side.

Harry Wilson beat Gleeson for workload but Gleeson beat Wilson for impact.

Is Seu Wallaby eligible? He looks a good'un.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Holloway continues to put in impressive performances whether at lock or 6. He is really showing the potential he had when playing 8 at Southern Districts. MOTM for me.

Seu is capped for Samoa I think and only been in Aus this season. I’d love to see the Tahs hold on to him though. Let Swinton just disappear

I heard all the Wilson carry stats and he is always around but the impact of Gleeson is undeniable.

McReight, Valetini & Gleeson are my form Aus backrow right now. Holloway might find his way into that but can also play lock. Gleeson off the bench is also a nice prospect with tired defences.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Seu is capped for Samoa I think and only been in Aus this season. I’d love to see the Tahs hold on to him though. Let Swinton just disappear

I heard all the Wilson carry stats and he is always around but the impact of Gleeson is undeniable.

McReight, Valetini & Gleeson are my form Aus backrow right now. Holloway might find his way into that but can also play lock. Gleeson off the bench is also a nice prospect with tired defences.
While all these guys have great Wallaby claims and will probably all play, I would be amazed if that exact combination was put out.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Seu is not. Pretty sure he grew up in Auckland and was capped for one of the pacific islands.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Just caught up now.

Seu clearly had license to just hunt O'Connor all game. Really messed his game up.

Reds have really been hurt by their centre injuries. No Paisami, Flook & Henry sucks. Annan had probably the worst game from anyone I've seen in a while. Don't think he laid a tackle once, fucked up his passes then got knocked out 30 minutes in. Poor kid.

Pietsch apparently has game smarts but fucked two kick off receipts in the first 20. Nawaqanitawase keeps on getting better.

Wilson went well. Such nice hands. Definitely better than Naisarani last night.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
His return from a calf injury is being carefully managed. If you listened to his interview, it was 40 minutes last week, 60 this week and he hopes to play 80 next week. Seems a sensible return to me, particularly when you consider the number of soft tissue injuries over the last couple of years