• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Waratahs Round 5 - 2016 Super Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
The Reds pissed that game away. As a relatively unbiased observer I started cheering them on simply because, as an ex-prop, their forwards who weren't bad, were being badly let down by their backline. I actually thought that this was the game the poor buggers were going to win. They had lineouts and most scrums sorted, but jesus, give it to the backs and I reckon I could have moved the ball faster. Waratahs were pretty unimpressive as well. I had a feeling if they were playing a top team they would have been done over.

Anyway, looking forward to Highlanders v Reds in a couple of weeks.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
At least the judiciary is consistent.

Well, right up until someone decides they want to retaliate, and gets 6 weeks so they're an example to everyone else, ignoring the previous examples!

Anyone else notice Gill change his bind in the Reds' penalty try? Completely illegal. How cynical.

:D

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Folau much better last week.

How does NSW give away so many penalties and not get more Y/Cs.

Heard last week that Gibson is now under some pressure. That pressure will continue to grow, particularly after the Reds game.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Gibson will be under more pressure for winning a local derby that has historically always been a close affair?
Winning is always the easiest way to deflate pressure.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Folau much better last week.

How does NSW give away so many penalties and not get more Y/Cs.

Heard last week that Gibson is now under some pressure. That pressure will continue to grow, particularly after the Reds game.

Gibson is under scoreboard pressure. The Reds game was supposed to be a gimme and a guaranteed bonus point. Current standings have us 10th and with the bye and the Brumbies in the next three weeks the chances are we will be lower than that at the halfway point and we then have our bogey team away!

I thought at the start of the season that our draw was OK; neither diabolical nor easy. But as I look at it now there are only two relatively easy games left - Cheetahs and Sunwolves - and both those games are away. Given the improvement in the Cheetahs scrum last weekend that game may not be a gimme either. Based on what we have seen so far, the Tahs are unlikely to be there come finals time.

Compare that with the Stormers. They do not play any NZ teams at all, home or away. I could live with a Waratah draw like that!

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Gibson will be under more pressure for winning a local derby that has historically always been a close affair?
Winning is always the easiest way to deflate pressure.

The dogs are only yapping ATM. Add to that a wee bit of player discontent and IF the Tahs don't start performing (as they did under Cheika), even their "loyal" fans may vote with their bums.:)

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Was the game really meant to be a gimme/ bp win with the well known strength discrepancies between the two front rows. The game basically proved what everyone already knew- Tahs poor scrum/ Reds terrible attack.
A loss to the Reds is what really would have put Gibson under the pump

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Was the game really meant to be a gimme/ bp win with the well known strength discrepancies between the two front rows. The game basically proved what everyone already knew- Tahs poor scrum/ Reds terrible attack.

Absolutely - I honestly thought the Tahs would win by plenty (although always optimistic of a Reds win).

Tahs scrum is poor - nothing more, nothing less.

It is just the way the Tahs are playing under Gibson. Lacklustre. They have some of the best backs in the world but who would know.

The forwards generally are poor except for Hooper and Holloway. Just such a change from under Chek. Benn Robbo needs to start next week. At least he improved the scrum a bit.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

Before the season started I had pencilled the game in as a five pointer.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I still think the Tahs are right around the mark for 4th or 5th in the Australasian conference and one of the last couple of finals spots.

Injuries, particularly at hooker are certainly a concern and we can't afford to drop must win games like this one at home against the Rebels but generally I think we are there or thereabouts with what I was expecting this season.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I still think the Tahs are right around the mark for 4th or 5th in the Australian conference and one of the last couple of finals spots.

Injuries, particularly at hooker are certainly a concern and we can't afford to drop must win games like this one at home against the Rebels but generally I think we are there or thereabouts with what I was expecting this season.

Ha? That would mean at least 4 aus teams are going to make the finals!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Ha? That would mean at least 4 aus teams are going to make the finals!

I missed out the two all-important letters making it the Australasian Conference!

I think they'll need to be second in the Aussie conference to net 4th or 5th in the Australasian conference.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
but generally I think we are there or thereabouts with what I was expecting this season.

I apparently had higher expectations for the Tahs, as I thought it would be (and possibly will still be) a shoot out between them and the Brumbies for top of the pops in the Australian conference. So far, they have not lived up to expectation, and that could be the result of the change in coaching staff, but the loss of Kepu and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is also biting. I won't be surprised if they do start to show more improvement as the season progresses.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I apparently had higher expectations for the Tahs, as I thought it would be (and possibly will still be) a shoot out between them and the Brumbies for top of the pops in the Australian conference. So far, they have not lived up to expectation, and that could be the result of the change in coaching staff, but the loss of Kepu and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is also biting. I won't be surprised if they do start to show more improvement as the season progresses.

Hmm... Brumbies started the season as the outright favourites with the bookies and so far there is nothing to suggest that wasn't realistic. Waratahs were about 5th or 6th in the betting.

I think you were expecting too much of the Tahs if you thought they were going to be close to the best team in the comp this year.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Only just got our first-choice Wallaby flyhalf back.

Lost our first-choice Wallaby hooker to injury.

Got several Wallabies not firing on all cylinders.

Showed some massive promise in a couple of games this season.

Have a coaching group with clearly limited idea of what the fuck it represents.

A few tweaks and we'll win enough games to get finals. But at this stage, meh...

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I still think the Tahs are right around the mark for 4th or 5th in the Australasian conference and one of the last couple of finals spots.

Each season before it starts I look at the draw and try to predict the match outcomes. So far I am reasonably close to where I thought we would be - I thought we would just beat the Highlanders and get a bonus point off the Reds both games. So we are there or thereabouts BUT! I did not predict the scrummaging debacle nor the lack of intensity in the pack. This year we are getting injured; last two seasons it was always the other teams who were breaking under our physicality.

Looking over the draw for the rest of the season its not looking so good. On what we have seen so far we can book the Brumbies at home, the Stormers away, the Crusaders away and the Chiefs at home as certain losses. We will also possibly lose against the Force away, the Cheetahs at home after SA travel, and the Hurricanes at home. There will not be one easy match from here on in right down to the last where we have the Blues at the Auckland graveyard.

For our season to change we have to find a tight head prop and a tight head lock. Robertson is the likeliest candidate for THP and he is so raw he doesn't even appear on the Tahs squad list (check it out on their site). Lousi or Skelton could be the THL, but they'll need a huge step up in form to date.

Oh to be the Stormers - they don't play one game against a NZ team in the seventeen rounds. Talk about a walk-up start to the finals!

Status
Not open for further replies.