• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Brumbies, 2011R16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Whilst it could've been argued they did it so the Tahs couldn't progress and gift the Stormers a win I believe their main reasoning was the rest up of players.

Of course it was....anything else would open them and/or SARU open to charges of manipulating the competition. Where's that cynical smiley when I need it?

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I thought Saia was poor tonight and he will be disappointed in his game. Gave away 2 penalties early that Gits kicked, bombed a try with bad pass to his brother early in the 2nd Half and also made crucial errors throwing into the lineout. Much more like that and he'll be getting nowhere near a World Cup Squad.

I did not think Quade and Will were up to their usual standard with their option taking. Will having the flu might have a bit to do with his sub-standard effort but Quade's was more to do with good work from the Brumbies. They really smashed us up front tonight - especially the Stephen Moore.

If the Reds ever get the chance to bring him home they should take it. Put him back in a Reds jersey tonight and they win going away.

Also thought it was one of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s better games of the season. Intercept on Quade's pass was a good read and thought he was solid defensively too.

From an overall points perspective, no devastating damage done. Just very disappointing to not beat the Brumbies at home when it has not been achieved since 1999.

Net result is that if the Reds take 5 points from each of their next 2 matches, they will finish first. Can they do it is the big question? It's true what they say that a week is a long time in football.....

I thought saia was one of the only reds forwards who looked like he wanted to really win it. His defensive effort in particular was top class.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Of course it was....anything else would open them and/or SARU open to charges of manipulating the competition. Where's that cynical smiley when I need it?

Well yes but that was actually what I do believe they did it for (the rest turned out good, they killed the Crusaders in the semi) and I'm a Tahs fan remember so I was pretty pissed at the time because I favoured them to beat the Stormers going on form.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Aren't players supposed to assume, by default, that the ref will apply the rules?

Too funny.

Not if they haven't dine it for the rest of the match. Surely you realize that in rugby more than any other sport a referee applies an interpretation to the rules? If the referee can't provide that interpretation consistently what are players meant to do?

This is just too funny doesn't make much of an argument, does it?

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
I thought Saia was poor tonight and he will be disappointed in his game. Gave away 2 penalties early that Gits kicked, bombed a try with bad pass to his brother early in the 2nd Half and also made crucial errors throwing into the lineout. Much more like that and he'll be getting nowhere near a World Cup Squad.

I did not think Quade and Will were up to their usual standard with their option taking. Will having the flu might have a bit to do with his sub-standard effort but Quade's was more to do with good work from the Brumbies. They really smashed us up front tonight - especially Stephen Moore.

If the Reds ever get the chance to bring him home they should take it. Put him back in a Reds jersey tonight and they win going away.

Also thought it was one of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s better games of the season. Intercept on Quade's pass was a good read and thought he was solid defensively too.

From an overall points perspective, no devastating damage done. Just very disappointing to not beat the Brumbies at home when it has not been achieved since 1999.

Net result is that if the Reds take 5 points from each of their next 2 matches, they will finish first. Can they do it is the big question? It's true what they say that a week is a long time in football.....

Saia has been making quite a few bad throws of late. One of the Force hookers might make it as a smokey, if Saia can't get his throws right.

Very timely performance by AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) I thought, he has been copping plenty of stick on here recently over whether he should be in gold this year. I think he answered that question tonight with a very good game.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
What if he took out your worst player instead? Between this and your Giteau kick rant I think you've had 1 too many tonight Scotty.

So you don't think it deserved a yellow or at least a penalty? Have a look at the replay tomorrow and tell me again u have drunk too much.

G

gladiator

stephen moore was a beast tonight . vaea's tackle was legit . no problem with gitz deciding to kick for goal at the end , " what happens on the field stay's on the field " . brumbies deserve grinners tonight .

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Based on the comments in this thread I take everyone will completely accept it if the Cheetahs were to throw the game against the Sharks later tonight, moving the latter back into the top 6.

The Cheetahs have nothing to gain by winning the match so fuck'em, they should be doing their mates a favor.

Right then.

Blue,

Can you please point out to me where someone has said that the brumbies should have thrown the match?

Please. I must have missed it.

I'll be waiting.

Probably won't hold my breath though.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
But you have been saying that they should have not gone for the bonus point. A very fine distinction.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Meh, couldn't care less about the Giteau decision for the penalty, would have raised an eyebrow if they hadn't. If the reds wanted bonus points we should have scored more tries and won the game.

The Brumbies piss me off for their complete inability to get their act together against the other sides that they should beat or be there or thereabouts with, as compared to their playing for fucking sheep stations against the (mediocrish) reds tonight.

There is obviously a mix of factors involved, including chaos theory, the moon passing through capricorn and the entrails of brumby jack, but I think a big motivator for this team of individuals is to put one over their rivals for spots in the wallabies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Grow up mate. No offence or disrespect, but it would seem that you have never be involved in a competitive environment, whether it be rugby or in general. I know that in Giteau's position I would want to "rub salt in the wound", as another poster has said. No wonder we are considered the dud conference if we have 'collude' (for lack of a better word) and work together to get a home semi-final.

I ask you, where would you draw the line? If, for example, ACT were up by 8, would make personal attacks at Giteau if didn't pass the ball to Quade at the final penalty and let QLD run the length of the field to score? It sounds crazy, but it is essentially the same thing! What are your thoughts on WA resting Pocock, JOC (James O'Connor), Sharpe (in fact the entire 1st XV) next week? It would give these players rest for the WC, and almost gift QLD 5 points! Great for the Reds, and thus great for every single rugby player in Australia!

This one of the most educated sporting forums I have ever come across, true testament to everyone involved, but I found it incredibly insulting whenever people have personal attacks at players. I don't, but I am sure people on this forum do know Matt personally, and unless you are one of those people, please don't call him, or anyone else you don't know in life for that matter, a "fuckwit". Just basic manners, and i find it distasteful, especially to one of the great servants to Australian rugby.

Fair enough. I obviously shouldn't cast aspersions in someone I dont know but you are free to do so in me. Sorry, which of my friends are you again?

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Well at the risk of being assaulted I will say I enjoyed the game tonight for one very big reason. The Brumbies showed some real passion and committment which has been missing for the Past 15 matches. In defence they were superb. The line speed (which bordered on offside many times) was the fastest I have seen from an Oz side this year including the Force V Reds game earlier.

My pre game prediction regarding the scrum was 100% on the mark with the point victory to the Reds, no tightheads but three penalties awarded against Alexander and should have been another for hand down. The Brumbies have done Oz rugby a huge dis-service by not attending to Alexander's clear technique issues.

For mine I thought the Reds looked flat from the opening kick off and hoped they would wake up in the second 40. They did but after the missed try the Reds started arguing/yelling amoung themselves. From that point I could see the writing on the wall. This week was always a big step for them as a side after the huge emotional rush of beating the Crusaders and this added to the flatness. Last point is that it could be clearly seen the deficit of Robinson, that psycho committment to the ruck and linking play was just not their and so much of the Reds ball was under pressure, in saying that Coridas had a very good first up run.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Imagine the ruckus out of Saffa land if Giteau had gifted the Reds the bonus point given their whinging about it being an easy conference already. Would have been an armband moment for sure, maybe even an appeal to the UN for some kind of sanction.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Imagine the ruckus out of Saffa land if Giteau had gifted the Reds the bonus point given their whinging about it being an easy conference already. Would have been an armband moment for sure, maybe even an appeal to the UN for some kind of sanction.

I think I saw Pro Legoete patrolling the sideline ready to run on and make his report to the ref. Again.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
There is obviously a mix of factors involved, including chaos theory, the moon passing through capricorn and the entrails of brumby jack, but I think a big motivator for this team of individuals is to put one over their rivals for spots in the wallabies.
yep, you can never beat self interest as a motivator

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)

The saffa's don't have a leg to stand on when it comes to these issues.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
no one remembers how you win, only that you win
we havnt won shit all in 10 years> i couldnt care less what the saffas or kiwis think of us
hats off to the brumbies for the win> and im glad they put in 100%

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I was extremely impressed by McAbe at 12. Led the defensive line forward, didn't miss a tackle and was dominant in many contacts. The few opportunities he had he was also very good with ball in hand. I hope the Mules persist with him at 12, he could be an interesting option for the Wallabies.

I say this knowing that I have absolutely zero hope of ever seeing such a thing as Deans is totally committed to his 2 playmaker system, but I would give a lot to see a rteurn to a traditional Australian set up with a true 12 and McAbe has the attributes.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
My final comment (hopefully) is that I wonder whether the Wallabies or ABs or Springboks would have taken the shot when they had already won and nothing else was at stake for them. Probably not. Straight into touch and jumping into each others arms in celebration.

IRB rankings do (in a small way) place a weight on the margin. I think a win by 15+ earns more ranking points that a win by 1-14. In reality players on the field won't be worrying about it, and would always take the shot if there is a chance of getting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.