• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Brumbies, 2011R16

Status
Not open for further replies.

nathan

Darby Loudon (17)
You know I don't really believe it's been mentioned this whole thread, so I might just come out and say it.

The Reds missed Beau big time. I was surprised that Corridas wasn't subbed for Schatz, as I'm sure he would've made more of an impact. Work at the breakdown was abysmal, and the attack appeared limited without Beau who's really worked around Cooper's game and added linking play between the forwards and the backs.

Sure, it's not the only reason for the loss as the forwards were pretty poor as a group. I thought Higginbotham played his worst game for a long while, Saia was increasingly frustrated and it showed. Samo didn't have the impact he's had over the last few weeks. It really reminded me of the Hurricanes game and I hope for 'the good of Australian and Reds rugby' that Link steers this ship straight over the next 5 weeks.

It sounds like initial fears about Iaone weren't as bad as initially thought. With Davies, Harris and potentially Hynes as well as Beau coming back into selection over the next few weeks it's critical that the Reds treat every game as a 'big game' playing as they did against the Blues, Stormers and Crusaders. If not, as mentioned by Daz - they'll be knocked out of the finals pretty quick.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
It was a very good display from the previously bumbling Brumbies.
It is also a timely wake-up for the Reds heading into the finals and it showed that Stephen Moore, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Gits and several others still have much to offer Robbie Deans and the Wallabies.

You know Jake White has a smile on his face tonight.
Well done the Ponies!

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
You know I don't really believe it's been mentioned this whole thread, so I might just come out and say it.

The Reds missed Beau big time.

Yup. We were back to the first couple of rounds sans Beau, slow or no ball from the breakdown delaying phases and getting pummelled by opposition defensive lines. The Force will go at it the same way, and are well setup to be ouchie.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yikes, I just made the mistake of reading the comments to the 'quick review' article on the main page.

Sookfest 2011.

The Reds definitely missed Beau. Coridas didn't have much of an impact and looked to be doing a fair bit of Salvi-ing early in the game with some pretty cynical offside flops into the ruck.

There was a point in the match when Samo made a run and I thought it was the beginning of the end for the Brumbies. It reminded me of a try he set up for the Brumbies against the Tahs back in 2004.

I really really really really hope that Valentine doesn't come back for the Brumbies. Phibbs played his ass off, and White looked solid when he came on.

The Brumbies had quick ball all game, and I could only count a couple of times when Phibbs slowed down the play.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Just watched the replay...WOW!!

I thought the Reds would almost walk thru the Brumbies all week....how wrong was I!! That's was quite a performance the Brumbies put on.

On the Digby hit...pretty unfortunate contact. Digby was going down and kinda lowered his head straight into Vaea's arm. Hard to say it was Vaea's fault cos I don't think it was high but he may get looked at. The 'involuntary planking' comment was a pretty quick call from the commentator - he's been waiting for someone to go down like that just so he could pull it out of the bag I reckon. But if Vaea stays around (and maybe drops a couple of kgs) he's someone I would be prepping to put in a Wallaby jersey one day. He's got that mongrel, size and 'I don't give f**k who you are' aggressiveness about him that is sometimes missing from the Wallaby packs. Kinda reminds me a bit of a young Sione Lauaki.

Giteau's penalty. Great decision. I love how he told Moore 'Shut the f**k up, I'm the captain.' That's what I would want to see in any player going into an international jersey - cut-throat ruthlessness that wants to beat the opposition and take away any 'bonus' they may have about the loss. Giteau has been the best Brumby this year and he's had to play thru almost every single loss and take a lot of shit from people about how crap he is as a player and as a leader - rightly or wrongly. Moore has really only just turned up for the season now. If I was Giteau, I'd be wanting to put an exclamation mark at the end of that win as well.....and they deserved it. And I don't care if it was the Blues and any other NZ franchise. If the Blues aren't good enough to win and then put themselves in the position to lose a potential bonus point - so be it. Cooper could have kicked long and made the chance of getting a bonus point a bit more secure. But he decided to go short and go for the win. Which I applaud but if you're willing to take the risk then be prepared to live with the consequences. Not to mention that he was the one who subsequently gave the penalty away.

And in terms of what's best for Australian rugby.....I think this game was actually one of the best things that could have happened for it. Unfortunately for me as a Blues fan, I also think it could be exactly what the Reds need right now going into the finals.

Ged

Allen Oxlade (6)
Well done Brums, not sure what any self respecting Reds fan could complain about other than their own team's performance.
Vaea's tackle was totally innocent - these incidents should be judged on their intent plus the technical aspects of the tackle, not the horrific outcome (remember Higgers on Mitchell, people?)
Giteau going for goal was entirely appropriate. Maybe, just maybe, if it was the final round, and the Reds bonus point was the difference between making the finals and missing out, I'd expect a little favour, but two rounds to go and still on top of the table, he owes us nothing. Good on him. It's about time he showed the ambition and ruthlessness we need from him for the Wallabies.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Yikes, I just made the mistake of reading the comments to the 'quick review' article on the main page.

Sookfest 2011.

Thanks for the heads-up, I'll skip it. That shit is embarrassing.

And in terms of what's best for Australian rugby.....I think this game was actually one of the best things that could have happened for it. Unfortunately for me as a Blues fan, I also think it could be exactly what the Reds need right now going into the finals.

Certainly gave the reds a kick in the backside at a great time. Be interesting to see what McKenzie does with 7 and 12/13.

The game was taken away from them at the breakdown, though. I did wonder if it was all Robinson's absence or whether there was more latitude given to slow the ball emerging - it seemed like Genia was digging for the ball an awful lot through players on the ground and supposedly out of play.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I have no doubt that vaea didn't mean to hit digby in the jaw but the tackle was still high and careless. The very minimum should have been a penalty. Surely the AR, standing only a few meters away saw it?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Anyone know the final penalty stats. Seemed like the brumbies gave away a lot more than the reds, similar to the crusaders last week. Wonder if it is a tactic to push it to the limit to try and slow the reds ball as much as possible. Certainly also occurred the last time these two teams met.

A combination if quades poor kicking and referees inability to pull out a yellow for repeat infringements is making this tactic pretty low risk.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm not sure if it's the final stats but Sports Data has the penalty count as Reds 9 - Brumbies - 13.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
Well done Brums, not sure what any self respecting Reds fan could complain about other than their own team's performance.
Vaea's tackle was totally innocent - these incidents should be judged on their intent plus the technical aspects of the tackle, not the horrific outcome (remember Higgers on Mitchell, people?)
Giteau going for goal was entirely appropriate. Maybe, just maybe, if it was the final round, and the Reds bonus point was the difference between making the finals and missing out, I'd expect a little favour, but two rounds to go and still on top of the table, he owes us nothing. Good on him. It's about time he showed the ambition and ruthlessness we need from him for the Wallabies.

And thats all he played for. Wallaby jumper. Higgers didn't go in with a swinging arm and he didn't stick his foot out to make a trip. Bloody poles apart those two. Might not have been intentional but the shove after the hit was.
Anyone consider the fact that Moore wanted the ball kicked dead to seal the win. How many times have you seen a penalty kick hit the post and bounce back into play. How many times has a team got the ball and scored from it!
Gits was about him trying to secure his place in the Wallabies and denying the Reds a point.
Reds and Crusaders played a test match last week end. Both sides doing a lot of walking by the 70min mark. Crusdaers were lucky to have the bye.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yeah the Brumbies played well they really showed up in defence for the full 80 & never gave the Reds quick, clean ball all night.

Saia Fainga'a had a shocker last night after a stupid no look pass that mised his brother & then a poor lineout throw after Quade had kicked us into a great position.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Eh, you win some you lose some. The Reds will come out bigger and better next week. The backline seems to be lacking the sparks of Davies and Hynes right now, and could be even worse off without Digby next week.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I wonder if on some level Gits taking the kick will ignite the Reds players to do better things, if he had kicked it in to touch then the Reds could take the mentality that "all is not lost, at least we were good enough to get a point" Now that the Kick took place the Reds have to accept that "we couldn't even get a point".

In a strange way this could be good motivation for the Reds.

That being said, I can easily see them losing the next 2 weeks as well, they just didn't seem to be the closeknit team they have been for the last year and a half. Something looked wrong with the team harmony to me.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I wonder if on some level Gits taking the kick will ignite the Reds players to do better things, if he had kicked it in to touch then the Reds could take the mentality that "all is not lost, at least we were good enough to get a point" Now that the Kick took place the Reds have to accept that "we couldn't even get a point".

In a strange way this could be good motivation for the Reds.

That being said, I can easily see them losing the next 2 weeks as well, they just didn't seem to be the closeknit team they have been for the last year and a half. Something looked wrong with the team harmony to me.

How pissed off was Anthony with Saia after that pass!!

Status
Not open for further replies.