• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Crusaders Super Rugby Rd11 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

drewprint

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I didn't watch the game (relied on twitter, this forum and a few moments of a choppy live stream at the death), but one of the things that's being raged about is the lopsided penalty count. Being a staunch Reds fan I'm obviously aggrieved that it was so far against my side, BUT if there's one thing I can't stand it's when people demand a balanced penalty count when their team have obviously been infringing far more often. Refs shouldn't have to keep it even for the sake of balance; if one team are idiots then they should suffer the consequences. So, on that note, tell me; did the Reds deserve to be stung with such a skewed penalty count?

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
I just was spitting at the TV during the game at some of Lawrences decisions. His penalty on Gill was a joke. I just glanced over at the Silverfern and even they think Lawrence was very poor and a benefit to the Crusaders.

IF Harris kicks his goals, the Reds win this in a massive upset. They neutered the Crusaders attack all night long and pressured them into mistakes. They will be happy with their performance but gutted they didn't get the result I thought they deserved.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
I want to agree with that but you're wrong on Neville. He's a fantastic rugby player with skills.
Skills can get ou so far and yes h has some but his lack of understanding was obvious. I am only saying what I saw.I'm not trying to be criticalI am just saying what I saw, I watch all the Rugby games because I enjoy watching the game no matter who plays.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Fair enough but if that's all you've seen of him play from last night that's a bit harsh. I've seen him toil in Shute Shield and he's gone very well.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
I didn't watch the game (relied on twitter, this forum and a few moments of a choppy live stream at the death), but one of the things that's being raged about is the lopsided penalty count. Being a staunch Reds fan I'm obviously aggrieved that it was so far against my side, BUT if there's one thing I can't stand it's when people demand a balanced penalty count when their team have obviously been infringing far more often. Refs shouldn't have to keep it even for the sake of balance; if one team are idiots then they should suffer the consequences. So, on that note, tell me; did the Reds deserve to be stung with such a skewed penalty count?

Truly.. No. Hate when we whinge about refs and we benefitted enormously from Lawrence's appalling work at the breakdown in the RWC, but he really is a poor ref.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I asked before but does anyone know Harris' percentage from when he missed his first one?

How does someone get 23? in a row then be so bad? Must be all confidence for him.

Qwerty, quite right. As posted above, Harris' kicking misses and mistakes were crucial to the Reds' loss: 5 kicking points missed, penalty kick missed touch, restart too short, can't afford this v top team at home, esp Cru. He made similar mistakes and misses last week, and I noted the major risk factor in this area for us then. (But, so typically in Aus rugby, no ones seems to care too much about kicking.)

Harris' accuracy overall this year is now very near QC (Quade Cooper)'s average I'd suggest, maybe a touch worse.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
Fair bit of ref-whinging going on here, but I really didn't think either side got away with too much.

I think that mccaw obstruction could have been given, but that didn't lead to any points anyway. And ben franks did drop the hand at least once before half-time. The reds also got a lineout-throw when they shouldn't have in late in the second half.

Beyond that I think it was mostly above board. Frankly I was amazed at how the crusaders forwards stayed onside - that's a rare pokemon that one. Led to lots of easy metres for the reds forwards.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
Rugo I have heard that Bryce ignores his 'assisstants' when it suits him. And for those who are choking, this has come from a pretty good source.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
[quote="No4918, post: 355855,
Gill is very, very good. What happens if he gets a call up for the Wobs, does he still go to the U20 WC? He and Pocock could work really well in tandem on national duties.[/quote]

Looking into my crystal ball I see a Gill vs Hooper fan war on the horizon. :)

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I expect the Bryce Lawrence facebook petition to cop a few hundred more likes after this afternoons game.

Congrats to the crusaders on a great grinding win.

Higginbotham deserves to be the one of the first players written down into the starting team come june.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
No.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Ref whinging? Saders first 6 points came from piss poor calls. After that both sides can complain at various times.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I asked before but does anyone know Harris' percentage from when he missed his first one?

How does someone get 23? in a row then be so bad? Must be all confidence for him.
Lost confidence after the injury. Pre-injury, the metronomic swing of Ben Hogan. Post-injury, a weekend hack.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Michael Hooper and Liam Gill are hard to separate at the moment. Since only Gill is eligible for the U20s you'd have to have him there and Hooper with the Wallabies. Otherwise Matt Hodgson and Beau Robinson are options. They are more physically developed and there is no need to rush the youngins.

T

tranquility

Mate to be fair, if you didn't watch the game don't discredit what others are saying on the performance of the ref, in a game that was probably watched in minute detail. He was average, and I honestly felt like we were on top for most of the match, barring the blooooody scrum of ours which is a farce. Harris misses the kick from in front? Saders getting a scrum penalty from in front of our goal posts on our feed when the ball is out... Tough loss to swallow.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
Fair enough Qwerty. Maybe another year in the Shute sheild to improve the core/fundamental skills. The mistakes he made were fundmental. He is athletic and strong and with more experience will do well. A second rowers job is huge and takes a long time to learn. It is far more involved than peolple give them credit for.

drewprint

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Mate to be fair, if you didn't watch the game don't discredit what others are saying on the performance of the ref, in a game that was probably watched in minute detail. He was average, and I honestly felt like we were on top for most of the match, barring the blooooody scrum of ours which is a farce. Harris misses the kick from in front? Saders getting a scrum penalty from in front of our goal posts on our feed when the ball is out... Tough loss to swallow.

Umm, not discrediting them at all, hence my question. In the heat of the moment people get carried away; I like to know what they think after a moment of reflection.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
Will the JWC be more beneficial to Gill than a Wallaby camp?Be interesting to see what he would choose.
He had a blinder. Tough Kid with awesome skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.