• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Sharks

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Did anyone else have a chuckle when Quade scored and the ref said something along the lines of "that's a cat-burglars try if I ever did see one".

I lolled for a while.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
en_force_er said:
Did anyone else have a chuckle when Quade scored and the ref said something along the lines of "that's a cat-burglars try if I ever did see one".

I lolled for a while.

The commentator not the ref but yeah i caught that, was pretty funny. Great try too by Quade.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Probably because they talk so bloody much ::)

Last night the AR's and the Ref in the Tah's game spoke almost exclusively by radio, is this the norm?

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
en_force_er said:

I lolled for a while.

i did! did a double take after it, wondering if i really heard what i thought i did....

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I can almost guarantee the Reds will finish 5th, 6th or 7th. They will be ruing their lack of leadership and discipline, particularly in the Sharks and Tahs games. Dammit.

U

Utility Back

Reddy! said:
Conor said:
What i thought this game showed was that we are definitely not the reds of old,
but we are not final contenders just yet either.

I'm pretty sure coming 5th on the ladder means you are finals contenders, but what I think you meant is that there is still a long way to go before the Reds can scrap into the top 4 by the end of the season - realistically we have to win 4 of our next 5 matches to do this, which means doubling our current number of wins, and this would be a monumental effort.

Yeah well what i meant is i dont expect them to be competing in the finals this year but will love to be proven wrong. We still have the Bulls and Stormers (home), as well as brumbies and hurricanes (away)
The blokes stuck in there but we sure could use a horwill or MMM i reckon, and we'll be etter when blokes like daley, faingaas, and schatz have a few more years in them

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Dissapointing, but if before the tour to SA you could be assured of 2 wins and 2 points from the loss you would take it.

I think the Wallabies need to work hard on combatting the rolling maul, the Reds will get hammered with it every week now

T

TOCC

fantastic game, had me hooked for the whole game. Devastating to lose, but if you had of asked me earlier this year if i would be dissapointed with 2 points from playing the Sharks in Durban i would have laughed.

Whilst i love Hardman as a player, we need to bring Fainga'a back, Fainga'a is so much more dynamic then Hardman, a few times there that Hardman caught the ball in the loose the play broke down, his not a very good link man, nor do i think that he contibutes enough in the tight to warrant his position either.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Conor said:
Reddy! said:
Conor said:
What i thought this game showed was that we are definitely not the reds of old,
but we are not final contenders just yet either.

I'm pretty sure coming 5th on the ladder means you are finals contenders, but what I think you meant is that there is still a long way to go before the Reds can scrap into the top 4 by the end of the season - realistically we have to win 4 of our next 5 matches to do this, which means doubling our current number of wins, and this would be a monumental effort.

Yeah well what i meant is i dont expect them to be competing in the finals this year but will love to be proven wrong. We still have the Bulls and Stormers (home), as well as brumbies and hurricanes (away)
The blokes stuck in there but we sure could use a horwill or MMM i reckon, and we'll be etter when blokes like daley, faingaas, and schatz have a few more years in them

Yeh gotcha. Like I said it will be a monumental effort for them to win enough games to make the top 4. At this stage, and your right, it doesn't look like they can do it. Just gotta take it week by week, and hopefully with a win next week, a big crowd at Suncorp will hopefully be enough to fire up the Reds for a win against the Bulls.

The game next week against the Lions is looking like the game to lose for the Reds. Surely the Reds gotta have a massive fuck up sooner or later, because so far they have only lost their 3 games by a total of 6 points or something like that.

D

David

I am watching the replay now, the South African commentators don't know the meaning of unbiased commentary. The ref was just atrocious too, I wouldn't say he was biased but he missed some pretty important calls both ways but in the end it cost the reds. A Reds try and the Sharks first try should not have been tries, but there was also a couple penalties against the Reds that were bullshit and ended up costing us the game. Oh well two bonus points was a good effort from the boys.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
TOCC said:
fantastic game, had me hooked for the whole game. Devastating to lose, but if you had of asked me earlier this year if i would be dissapointed with 2 points from playing the Sharks in Durban i would have laughed.

Whilst i love Hardman as a player, we need to bring Fainga'a back, Fainga'a is so much more dynamic then Hardman, a few times there that Hardman caught the ball in the loose the play broke down, his not a very good link man, nor do i think that he contibutes enough in the tight to warrant his position either.

Me thinks that they got this one back to front. Fainga'a's energy at the start and Hardmans experience at the back end.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Ruggo said:
TOCC said:

Me thinks that they got this one back to front. Fainga'a's energy at the start and Hardmans experience at the back end.

Honestly I think Hardman is just not a good player. He may of been in the past but he isn't now.

Whenever he gets the ball momentum dies and he doesn't do much in the tight at all. His set pieces seem sound but that alone does not rationalise a S14 start. He is being used an the expense of Hanson, a terrific prospect.

I rated Hanson so highly after the ARC but he has been so poorly managed by the Reds.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
David said:
The ref was just atrocious too, I wouldn't say he was biased but he missed some pretty important calls both ways but in the end it cost the reds. A Reds try and the Sharks first try should not have been tries, but there was also a couple penalties against the Reds that were bullshit and ended up costing us the game.
\

What do you think the referee should have done:

1. stepped in and joined the Reds' forwards defending against the Shorks' mauls?
2. made the tackles close to the ruck that the Reds missed?
3. stepped up as a runner when the Reds failed to support the ball carrier?

Any one of those would have made him a busy man on the night.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
The Reds lost the game for themselves, the ref didn't lose it for them. They blew a winning lead by silly play and weak forward play in the second half. That period of Sharks dominance won it for the Sharks and lost it for the Reds.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Yep - and the Reds were lucky about the try from the forward pass too.

But they did Oz rugby proud for a lot of the match. If they get a 5 point game against the Lions they will end up with 11 points out of a possible 15 in 3 games in the RSA.

The Tahs got 13 in 2009 but not too Anzac teams have got 11 from 3 matches over there.

D

David

Biffo said:
David said:
The ref was just atrocious too, I wouldn't say he was biased but he missed some pretty important calls both ways but in the end it cost the reds. A Reds try and the Sharks first try should not have been tries, but there was also a couple penalties against the Reds that were bullshit and ended up costing us the game.
\

What do you think the referee should have done:

1. stepped in and joined the Reds' forwards defending against the Shorks' mauls?
2. made the tackles close to the ruck that the Reds missed?
3. stepped up as a runner when the Reds failed to support the ball carrier?

Any one of those would have made him a busy man on the night.

heh heh, sorry fellers, posted that straight after I watched the replay and the rabid Reds fan came out in me. You're right though biffo the Reds lost the game for themselves. I am just hoping the forward pack can take this massive lesson and learn from it, because if they don't the Sharks won't be the last team to use the mauling tactics against the Reds.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
One or two mauls, while bad, did not decide the result.

Faainga, Faainga and Daley coming in from the side or playing the ball on the ground put huge amounts of pressure on our defense. The dominance of the Sharks in the ruck in the second half particularly had us on the back foot. Poor tatics such as not clearing the ball from the 22, or not playing enough field position also made a massive difference.

Basically it was lack of composure all over and lack of aggression at the ruck is what got us. We had so much dominance as far as backline attack was concerned that we would have probably beaten them by 20 if we had got those other areas right.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Just watched this game. I'm loving Genia, Cooper and Ione in particular so much. If Gits and Barnes are picked ahead of Cooper for the Wobs I'll be really disappointed, but for some reason I can see it happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.