• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Sharks

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CanadianRugby

Pretty sure that last turn over was a penalty, but I didn't see a replay. Reds could have won this one. Not Genia's best game. Forwards didn't look as committed around the rucks. Cooper sure was good though.

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Oh and Ioane looked injured at the end. Would be a bummer if it was his shoulder. Didn't see the first half but he needed to go to 13 and get his hands on the ball earlier in the second half, made metres every time he had the pill.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Ngdungane looked like he came from the side for that turn over but it would've been a brave ref to blow it. Score was probably a fair reflection of the match. One of he Reds tries was off a forward pass but there appeared to be a blatant knock on in a ruck before the Sharks' first try. All swings and roundabouts.

The prolonged period in the second half where he Sharks kep the ball and applied pressure won them the game. Lucky for them as their midfield defence was woeful.

Reds maul defence was awful. They got it better towards the end but it was too late.

When the Sharks turned down the penalty I hoped the Reds would turn it round. Such a stupid decision - 2 points up, 1.5 minutes left and a penalty in front. What do you do? Well, the Sharks take a lineout and turn it over. Idiotic.

Reds need to work on the defence around the ruck.

And one last disappointing thing was the lack of supper in Ioane's last break. The Sharks had lots of scrambling defence etting back butthe Reds had no-one and hence the turn over.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
While you lot try to look for a ref reason for the loss...........Well done Tjarks, save us from a complete Black Easter and the rolling maul to show up the Reds. :yay

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Now that was a good game. It would have been perfect if the ref blew the whistle for that last turnover and cooper kicked over the winner. Ioane's last break was freakish i thought he was going to go the whole way on his own. Cooper was also on fire! who ever doubted his lil bunny hop has got to admit it worked a few times tonight!

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
PaarlBok said:
While you lot try to look for a ref reason for the loss...........Well done Tjarks, save us from a complete Black Easter and the rolling maul to show up the Reds. :yay

There's been contention over one ruck at the end but I can't see one post blaming the ref for loss?

Sharks deserved their win but, like Ash, I couldn't believe they went for line when they got that penalty near the end and it nearly cost them.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
First up. Well done to the Sharks. A couple of silly decisions at critical times cost the Reds. The short drop out that Higgers knocked on was an example. Should of pumped it long with the aim of playing down the other end. That point of the game, we could of put them to the sword but we gave them a chance to grow in confidence. Personally I think that was where the tide turned.

Positives were that we took points away from the loss, Chambers went good at 13 and Quade bounced back from his moment of madness last week with a lot of class.

Over all, this weekend has turned the comp on its head.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
The ref was letting that go all game so I don't have an issue with the last turnover. Would have been nice to see some more of the Reds keep up with Diggers so we did win the ball.
I am happy with 2 points from the game. The Sharks played well at home and we almost won. Lets hope we get over the Lions next week.
Cooper was very good.

S

Spook

Reds blew that... however they were touched up a bit up front but gee their backs are great. Quade Cooper - one of the best individual performances I've see in Super rugby. Am I exaggerating? Not sure but he is just exceptional. I thought Chambers did well at 13 and could make the Wallaby squad if he keeps developing. A finger v good as well. 2 bonus points isn't a bad return.

I thought S Finger should have started. Hardman went backwards a lot.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
I haven't watch the game yet, just highlights, but this could be a good result for the Reds for the next game. We lost but still managed 2 BPs, and we should be fired up to win next week against the Lions now. Gunna watch the game this afternoon, can't believe how well Cooper is playing this year.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
All the Reds needed to do was cut down there indisciplined play and they would have won that game. If they also managed a bit more at ruck time, they would have won comfortably.

Both Fingers and Daley need to hang their heads in shame for multiple indiscretions.

The Reds scored 4 tries, and I reckon they were in the Sharks 22 a grand total of 4 times, where as the Sharks took about 10minutes of attacking the Reds goal line before scoring one of theirs. It is definately up there with the Tahs game as a should of would of could of result for the Reds.

They now have to win the next 3 to have a realistic chance one would think.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Argh just re-read my post from after the game and it shows why you shouldn't post on an iPhone at 3am.

A few more comments...

Both teams had problems stopping the other team from getting over the advantage line.

Sharks tackling was awful but maul very good. Once they camped in the Reds half in the second half they looked strong and a win inevitible.

How good are Cooper and Ioane? I hope Ioane is not badly injured.

Deysel for the Sharks had a lot of strong runs.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Well done to the Sharks. They smashed the Reds in the tight stuff and put plenty of pressure on Genia.

Those indiscretions are really costing the Reds. Are they the most penalised side in the S14?

The pluses....two bonus points, Cooper was mercurial, Chambers ran some good lines at 13, and Ioane is just a handful in broken play.

Most of us (Reds supporters) were going to be happy with 2/3 from the road trip, so a win next week should get things back on track.

U

Utility Back

Why did Hynes kick the effing ball away!
Where was the support for ioane!!

What i thought this game showed was that we are definitely not the reds of old,
but we are not final contenders just yet either.

On the positives, we still earnt the same amount of points this week as the crusaders and hurricanes, and more than the bulls and stormers (although only 1).

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I thought that we should of starting kicking long as soon as they started putting the ball up. Cooper and Genia were good and A Fianga was good too despite what others have said. Ref was hard on the breakdown and we should have adapted Weeks was huge in the Tight.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
I agree with Scarfy, Hardman looked quite pedestrian but then S Finger gave a few penalties away so wasnt much better. Finger must have a pretty hard back because he copped a couple of similar shots to those that Mumm gave him in Round 1

Also thought Higgenbotham returned to his early season form but Digby was just immense. Must have made 4 runs in that final attack before making the break.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Conor said:
What i thought this game showed was that we are definitely not the reds of old,
but we are not final contenders just yet either.

I'm pretty sure coming 5th on the ladder means you are finals contenders, but what I think you meant is that there is still a long way to go before the Reds can scrap into the top 4 by the end of the season - realistically we have to win 4 of our next 5 matches to do this, which means doubling our current number of wins, and this would be a monumental effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.