• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Waratahs - 29th April RD 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Well technically you can have poor skills, discipline and execution and still have a fairly entertaining game. Tonight's game was alright, some slick tries and it went down to the wire.

Exactly. Not all games have to be jail-break, basketball-pop-passes, side-to-side, end-to-end rugby simply to be enjoyable.

Some of the best games I've ever watched weren't.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Christ. Australian Rugby is in real trouble if that's a 'cracker of a match'
Agree. The ref may have contributed to but what an mess overall. It was almost like they were obsessed with who can be the most physical than who can actually play the game. Its like watching a Kiwi poor game in slow motion.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
Reds should send aircraft carriers to Sydney harbour until the ARU gives us some decent refs... if they fail to comply within 48 hours then go to defcon 1 imminent nuclear war and standbye to nuke the north shore; it is obvious that Kim Jung Waratah is a threat to super rugby peace

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
6'5" is too short these days for the row. I like him but if he gets picked it will be as a 6.

George Kruis, Joe Launchbury, Maro Itoje and Johnny Gray are up there with the best second rowers in the world and are all the same height (198/199cm depending on where you look).

Its simply not too small. But alas, this'll be the last post I make on it.

kickingtee

Allen Oxlade (6)
Mate there was about 20 dropped balls in the second half.. it's not humid and it's not wet. fans pay to see skill, ability and execution, and all were lacking.

and no it wasn't forced drop balls from good defence either

I'd prefer to watch club rugby then Aussie Super Rugby this year

Was saying that to someone tonight, I've probably watched more club rugby this season that Super Rugby, and I enjoy it more.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Shiggins just called me and said "canyou tell ash he defiantly cant Try to take-over mi roll as forum ref=basher". I think. ;)

Yeah, it's a bit Shiggins-esque, and I can't argue against most penalties on the Reds (apart from a few like Moore being on his feet in the second half), but it's the ignoring of the Tahs holding on a few times in the second half, blatant Lucas knock on, the Phipps "try" and more that was bottled by the ref.

Reds lost it for themselves, congrats to your Tahs.

Meanwhile I'll drown my sorrows in bagging the ref for reffing one side and bagging the Reds for their ill discipline.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Yeah, it's a bit Shiggins-esque, and I can't argue against most penalties on the Reds (apart from a few like Moore being on his feet in the second half), but it's the ignoring of the Tahs holding on a few times in the second half, blatant Lucas knock on, the Phipps "try" and more that was bottled by the ref.

Meanwhile I'll drown my sorrows in bagging the ref for reffing one side and bagging the Reds for their ill discipline.

Mate I look forward to be alongside you, arm-in-arm (virtually), bagging the ref come the international season.

Deep down we all know we do it.

Reactions: Ash

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I must say to the Reds fans who might be hurting - its actually not that bad. When 8x young blokes starting in an untested or tried combination and stick it to the Tahs first choice team with their contingent of Wallabies its an ominous sign for future if they get it together.

Kudos to Stiles to having the balls to run the young blokes by choice - unlike most other Super Rugby coaches in this country.

As for the ref, that was atrocious and did impact on the game and the outcome.

If SANZAAR want to know why the ratings are down, just look at what the refereeing did to that game.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Exactly. Not all games have to be jail-break, basketball, side-to-side, end-to-end rugby simply to be enjoyable.

Some of the best games I've ever watched weren't.
So many unforced errors...
And this game demonstrates that stats mean fuck all.
Reds win turnovers 20-10, which suggests that they were dominant at the breakdown.
In fact, they were terrorised at the thought of winning, so they kicked it away at every opportunity.....
Quoting former Qld great... "Mediocrity shits me"

Disclosure: I backed the Reds....

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
One thing that kills me about Stiles though is his subbing of his front row at 50 minutes. The Reds are down to a 3rd / 4th string loosehead, who has been penalised a lot in previous weeks, hold on man, hold on.

addendum: Last whine I'll add that puzzling call on the Reds pulling down the Tahs lineout jumper close to the Reds line in the second half when the replay showed he didn't even come close to touching him.

It must be coaching and/or lack of leadership or whatever because after the 26 - 20 scoreline the Reds played like they vs the Crusaders - not to lose. And they lost.

an observer

Herbert Moran (7)
I must say to the Reds fans who might be hurting - its actually not that bad. When 8x young blokes starting in an untested or tried combination and stick it to the Tahs first choice team with their contingent of Wallabies its an ominous sign for future if they get it together.

Kudos to Stiles to having the balls to run the young blokes by choice - unlike most other Super Rugby coaches in this country.

As for the ref, that was atrocious and did impact on the game and the outcome.

If SANZAAR want to know why the ratings are down, just look at what the refereeing did to that game.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

Mate, I'd be pissed off too. At least both teams came to try to play some footy, and there was some good attack from both. We shouldn't forget how many local derbies have been dour shitty affairs. Ultimately, both made plenty of errors too, which seems to define Aus rugby too much. Reds have the making of a very good team with some polish. In any event, I thought both teams approached it better than I thought they might.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Mate I look forward to be alongside you, arm-in-arm (virtually), bagging the ref come the international season.

Deep down we all know we do it.

Yeah I can't criticise the Tahs. I reckon they deserve the win in the end. Reds played such negative stupid rugby again, and the Tahs stayed patient, played to the ref, played field position and took the points on offer.

Their on field leadership was obviously much better and kept them patient with the belief the points would come, and they did.

Tahs big names stepped up I thought, like Hooper, Foley.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Ref had nothing to do with the Reds loss - this is just the new detritus of Aus rugby's deep demoralisation that ref-blaming upon a close loss has become the default virus of an ill body.

Reds lost fair and square as they failed to correct obvious, chronic, repetitive past deficiencies. And the Tahs improved upon more of their recent deficiencies than did the Reds, good on 'em.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Mate, I'd be pissed off too. At least both teams came to try to play some footy, and there was some good attack from both. We shouldn't forget how many local derbies have been dour shitty affairs. Ultimately, both made plenty of errors too, which seems to define Aus rugby too much. Reds have the making of a very good team with some polish. In any event, I thought both teams approached it better than I thought they might.

I guess I am annoyed because one team played 80, one team played 50 or so. On the bright side, that's 10 more than vs the Crusaders.

Agree that it's good to see a more open derby, these ones are too often an arm wrestle, and not in a good way.

Off to drink more cider now.

dillyboy

Arch Winning (36)
I hate bagging the ref but that officiating was abysmal!

Also anyone see Hunt's leg towards the end - he looked proper broken. Fingers crossed he's ok as he has to be the starting 15 for the Wallabies the way he's been playing

Status
Not open for further replies.