• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Waratahs - 29th April RD 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Nah. There were plenty of indiscretions by the Tahs that went unpunished.

The referee watched one side.

Still - an entertaining game nonetheless
Most refs look harder at the defending team, he appeared to be doing that tonight.
Or I think he was, it was hard to tell, cos the Reds refused to make the Tahs the defend ping team at all in 2nd 1/2,until after the bell.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I reckon a fair few of you just need to step back a bit. That was a bloody entertaining game of Rugby for mine. Gutted at the result but fuck, it was two teams having a big dig, playing with plenty of passion and it coming right down to the wire.

Yeah there were a fair few errors but there were less errors in some of the 50+ point drubbings the Kiwi teams have dished out and I'll be fucked if I'll call a big kid beating up a little kid entertaining or good for Rugby.

Go you Reds!

drewprint

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Did the Reds deserve to receive their multitude of penalties? By and large, fuck yes.
Did the Waratahs deserve to receive only a few? Fuck no.
If you don't laugh you cry. So LOL I guess.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Really tense game, at the stadium I had hope early on when we got a strong lead. The Perese 'tackle' that lead to the yellow was just dumb, not sure what the intention was there. It's a shame as he was playing well. That ref insisting on the restart after the hooter for half time had gone was odd.

The Reds kicking in the 2nd half wasn't great tonight - seemed to just kick to the middle of the field for the Tahs to return. Kerevi was well marked by the Tahs, he got smashed whenever he touched the ball. Lukhan Tui looked exciting though. I hope they continue to start him.

Hunt looked seriously in a bad way at the end of the game, I hope it is nothing more than a strain because it appeared that he could barely walk let alone run. He was excellent and would have to be the form fullback in Australian rugby at the moment.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Really tense game, at the stadium I had hope early on when we got a strong lead. The Perese 'tackle' that lead to the yellow was just dumb, not sure what the intention was there. It's a shame as he was playing well. That ref insisting on the restart after the hooter for half time had gone was odd.

The Reds kicking in the 2nd half wasn't great tonight - seemed to just kick to the middle of the field for the Tahs to return. Kerevi was well marked by the Tahs, he got smashed whenever he touched the ball. Lukhan Tui looked exciting though. I hope they continue to start him.

Hunt looked seriously in a bad way at the end of the game, I hope it is nothing more than a strain because it appeared that he could barely walk let alone run. He was excellent and would have to be the form fullback in Australian rugby at the moment.

Yeah, Hunt looks great. And you can see how much thinking / organising he does for them. Waiting for news re any injury.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Ref had nothing to do with the Reds loss - this is just the new detritus of Aus rugby's deep demoralisation that ref-blaming upon a close loss has become the default virus of an ill body.

Reds lost fair and square as they failed to correct obvious, chronic, repetitive past deficiencies. And the Tahs improved upon more of their recent deficiencies than did the Reds, good on 'em.

I would argue a little bit from column A, a little bit from column B

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Some thoughts -

- Quade has no confidence in his shoulders
- STOP KICKING THE BALL AWAY!!!!
- Reffing was atrocious (Phipps 'try', 'dangerous tackle' by Kerevi on the kickoff in the first half, 'pulling' the man down in the air close to the Tahs line
- Reds discipline was also poor @ some points (way too many high tackles)
- playing kit looked good
- Reds appeared very physical in defence
- passes still aren't sticking consistently

EDIT: also his insistence to kickoff after the bell had rung in the first half was idiotic

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
That was an enjoyable game to watch.
6 tries, exciting matchups (Hooper v Smith; Folau v Hunt; Foley v Cooper), close scoreline, young blokes doing well on both sides, and the effective use of Skelton, and more realism coming from the commentators.
Some of the gloom from last week is lifting.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
addendum: Last whine I'll add that puzzling call on the Reds pulling down the Tahs lineout jumper close to the Reds line in the second half when the replay showed he didn't even come close to touching him.

It must be coaching and/or lack of leadership or whatever because after the 26 - 20 scoreline the Reds played like they vs the Crusaders - not to lose. And they lost.

The first two Reds' lineouts in the game, the Reds' jumper was interfered with in the air (first by Mumm and the second I didn't notice who) but no call by the ref. This kind of inconsistency really is spoiling the game as a spectacle, even for impartial viewers.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I reckon a fair few of you just need to step back a bit. That was a bloody entertaining game of Rugby for mine. Gutted at the result but fuck, it was two teams having a big dig, playing with plenty of passion and it coming right down to the wire.

Yeah there were a fair few errors but there were less errors in some of the 50+ point drubbings the Kiwi teams have dished out and I'll be fucked if I'll call a big kid beating up a little kid entertaining or good for Rugby.

Go you Reds!

Agree. If that was an old NSW v Qld game not in the context of Super Rugby everyone would have been down at the Caxton afterwards shouting out what a great game of footy it was.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Much better game than I expected, bothe sides still made too many errors but the effort and intensity were better.

For what it's worth, I thought Queensland had obviously overdone the old 1970s/1980s hate in the lead up to the game. The way the game is refereed now together with TMOs etc, I don't think it's a winning formula. By all means play with passion, but I thought that many of the penalties that the Reds gave away were really quite dumb and very easy for the ref, AR or TMO to spot.

I'm happy with the win and like the way that the Waratahs held their discipline and hung in till the end, but I think that cooler heads in the Reds camp might look back and wonder whether they should tone the niggle down next time.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Went o game and a few thoughts (from a kiwi who was by default a Reds supporter last night).
The ref, I thought he may of missed a couple of things , but he was not why Reds lost. And to add he certainly knew a hell of a lot more than most of the crowd where I was sitting who to be honest(and I was sitting in where all the long time season pass holders seem to be) don't really seem to understand a lot of the laws of the game at all. Was a little disappointed at the abuse/booing at the end of the game.
The game itself, I was fairly disappointed that after watching the game I came away without too many memories that you would say to a mate geez did you see such and such, or how good did they set up a move , I thought it was 2 fairly average teams playing the game.
The Players, I thought K Hunt was probably MOTM, G Smith and Hooper were both pretty good, I thought that the Foley/Cooper battle was probably won by Foley by just a bit, Cooper did a couple of good things but doesn't look like he has any speed in his legs, I thought Folau was poor, looked even disinterested at times and just seemed to almost give the ball to another player as if to say here , you give it a try and see if you can beat a player.
All in all was a bit disappointed and the crowd was very subdued (again) leaving the stadium and in the bus going home, and perhaps the people that were happiest at the end may well of been the coaches of Fiji and Scotland who play the Wallabies in June.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Fantastic to see a number of Reds have their best game.

Great to see Perese and Nabuli effectively contain Naiyaravoro, but Tahs did a good job containing Kerevi also. I believe that man v man in their position if you were to ask who had the better game, the Reds players would take the majority.

Faagase > Robertson
Moore> Roach
Tui>Mcduling
Higs> Wells
Tui > Hanigan
DP> Horwitz
Perese > Clarke
Hunt > Folau

Simmons or Mumm ? - Both annoying to watch
Smith or Hooper? -both epic
Kerevi or Horne?
Nabuli or Naiyaravoro? - both nullified

Talaki < Kepu
Tuttle < Phipps
Quade < Foley

Tough to be 4 tries to 2, keep the points down after pereses brain explosion, but to let the tahs kick their way to victory.

Really don't agree with the SMH that the tahs won the passion battle. Looked like the Reds forwards had a monopoly on that (Moore and Faagase was huge in defence, both Tuis were huge in attack, Smith had his best game by far and Higs gave exactly what Stiles said he would, a real enforcer and aggressor both in tight and out wide (HAS to be back in a Gold jersey). It was technicalities that got the Tahs the win. Their attack was pretty ineffective even against 14 men and with Nabuli & Kerevi giving them acres of space out wide.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Glad I am not the only one thinking it was two average teams looking good against one another.

Much the same as the SA conference lately. The only good derby in SA for around 2-3 years was the Lions v Sharks earlier in the season. The rest is just dire.

Defensively both AUS and SA Super Rugby teams look inadequate. The difference currently being that SA teams probably score a little bit more tries but they are equally woeful defensively.

I was rooting for the Waratahs for some reason even though I picked the Reds to win on Superbru.

Status
Not open for further replies.