• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Refereeing decisions

Running_rugby_1954

Dave Cowper (27)
Ditto. My main observations are that head contact doesn’t seem to matter unless it is thought to be intentional, the video refs make mistakes but they make them quickly, the game itself is tedious but the players are superb athletes with exceptional skills.

There will be a massive law suit against league one day for doing very little to stop concussions.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Should Ivania Wong's YC have stood once Shannon Parry was then carded for something that happened before Wong's indiscretion?
Yep otherwise do you say if a team is playing under advantage, they can do what they want? I thougt it incredibly unlucky that 2 YCs were commited (according to ref, I still not convinced about knock down ones but....) in one movement. Though to be fair if the TMO had of got in ahead of the ref actually saying Wong was a YC she may not have given it.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
League law suits have already started - read this...

I have been saying this for a few years.....fans keep thinking that the game is 'going soft' or whatever other terminology they want to use.

The reality is that both the NRL and rugby union have been watching what is and has been happening in the NFL for the last decade or so. And their pockets are not as deep as the NRL...

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
If you are chasing a kick and a player is, miraculously, standing between you and the ball are you allowed to push them out of the way?

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
If you are chasing a kick and a player is, miraculously, standing between you and the ball are you allowed to push them out of the way?

I believe so. Contact with a ‘static’ player I believe is treated differently as long as the push or shove isn’t foul play (shoulder charge etc)

For example when players standby idly setting up a screen for a player kicking, I’ve seen the charge down attempters shove past them.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
And are you allowed to just run over them, assuming they are holding their ground between you and the kicker. As opposed to a deliberate push, particularly a bigger chaser like Valetini?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well Damon Murphy YCed Esteben for doing exactly that in a test a few weeks ago. The player Esteben pushed out of way hit another player and chain reaction saw another Puma player hit his team mate in the air. Personally still can't work out the YC, but it was given.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Interested to see how this works out next year. From prem rugby down in NZ new tackle height for the first tackler, sternum or below, second tackler can be shoulder or below.
So, more concussions for tacklers as they dip their heads into traffic? Keen to see how it goes.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Hard to see this one working long term. Lots of judgement to be made by a ref in the tackle zone, first tackle v second tackler and tackle height in the same impact. And while they’re processing that in their head the breakdown contest will start.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
So, more concussions for tacklers as they dip their heads into traffic? Keen to see how it goes.
Go along with that Rob, not absolutely convinced, but guess will see more after it's in play. I happy that second player can come in higher to avoid head clashes.
I think everyone trying to grab at things to keep the game going to be honest.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Go along with that Rob, not absolutely convinced, but guess will see more after it's in play. I happy that second player can come in higher to avoid head clashes.
I think everyone trying to grab at things to keep the game going to be honest.

Adding more rules just further makes our game alienated from the general public though.

Fair enough to teach tacklers to go lower, you'd think every coach in the world now understands that. But to mandate that the first tackler in going at the belly button seems harsh.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's true that tacklers get concussed more frequently than ball carriers but it's also true that higher tackles have a far greater overall risk of causing a concussion than lower tackles.

To suggest that lowering the tackle height will increase the total number of concussions isn't backed up by reality.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Definitely not completely gone but depowered. I'm beginning to think they should go back to only looking at tries.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
TMOs need to be completely removed. They add nothing other than frustration.

I think that also requires the removal of 15 replays of every angle of a possible infringement or no-try by the home broadcaster.

And that's the tough bit.

Tazzmania

Ted Thorn (20)
TMOs need to be completely removed. They add nothing other than frustration.
Sadly in todays times that is highly unlikley.

Initially it was there to get rid of the glaring obvious errors, however, with the advent of duty of care and the transistion of a rugby field to a place of work it aint going to happen.

What we need is it to be fine tuned for betterment of all stakeholders.

With so many varying stakeholders, of which us fans are just part of it, they need to compromise and with compromise its a fine balance for all.

Most importantly as our game is very complex with so many variables, I think a good first step would be for us to be able to listen in and hear exactly how the TMO comes to his decision, and his descion should stand not be left to the referee to make the call looking at a big screen metres away, something like the bunker in rugby league.