• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Refereeing decisions

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
TMO's/bunker/ARC whatever... completely independent to the host broadcaster and they have all the camera feeds from the ground patched into them to review, as well as the host broadcast feed to monitor.

The scoreboard is also separate to the host broadcaster and run by their own crew - different sports have different arrangements as to what can be shown on the screen, plus the scoreboard will generally run their own content - on ground interviews, crowd interactions, sponsorship/ads, graphics etc.

And here's the thing... although the match feed on the screen will generally be fed by the host broadcaster, the scoreboard crew have the ability to display replays separate to that.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
TMO's/bunker/ARC whatever... completely independent to the host broadcaster and they have all the camera feeds from the ground patched into them to review, as well as the host broadcast feed to monitor.

The scoreboard is also separate to the host broadcaster and run by their own crew - different sports have different arrangements as to what can be shown on the screen, plus the scoreboard will generally run their own content - on ground interviews, crowd interactions, sponsorship/ads, graphics etc.

And here's the thing... although the match feed on the screen will generally be fed by the host broadcaster, the scoreboard crew have the ability to display replays separate to that.
so the scoreboard crew are the biased ones? Presumably owned by the stadium with a vested interest in their home team getting up.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
so the scoreboard crew are the biased ones? Presumably owned by the stadium with a vested interest in their home team getting up.

Potentially...

I don't have any insight as to how they operate with the rugby, but then again it is also different between stadiums, but I know that they do have the ability to show their own replays as it happens in the AFL.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Potentially...

I don't have any insight as to how they operate with the rugby, but then again it is also different between stadiums, but I know that they do have the ability to show their own replays as it happens in the AFL.

Gameday is most likely run by a local events company.

Great Big Events do most or all Wallabies games for example.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
nah mate. the french receiver is grounded inside the 22
1667981821414.png

1667981883893.png

1667981973770.png

1667982024995.png

Carried back

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
But it was extremely nice of Jaco to start coaching the French from that point onwards to ensure that they didn't repeat the error.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
The player carrying the ball plants one of his feet outside the 22 during play, he is then pushed back into the 22 where the ruck is formed.

I thought once a player carrying the ball exits the 22 in any way, the ball has now left the 22. hence it being carried back?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
It's where the ball emerges from the current ruck.

That can't be correct. That means anyone can pass a ball from outside the 22 back into the 22 and if the catching player gets tackled inside the 22, it wouldn't be carried back. Which was the main reason the rule was established.

The player in question has left the 22, therefore anything from that point is outside or carried back.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That can't be correct. That means anyone can pass a ball from outside the 22 back into the 22 and if the catching player gets tackled inside the 22, it wouldn't be carried back. Which was the main reason the rule was established.

The player in question has left the 22, therefore anything from that point is outside or carried back.

That's precisely what happens in almost every game...

Kick received comes back outside the 22m... passed back to player who is tackled back inside 22m... it's then deemed ok to kick out on the full from that tackle.

However, in this case the ball never leaves the 22m so France are OK to put it out on the full.

I'm happy for Pfitzy or one of the other refs to tell me I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's where the ball emerges from the current ruck.

It is where the tackle takes place, not where the ball comes out of the ruck.

Law 8.d.

"Ball is kicked directly into touch from within own 22 or in-goal"
"Either the defending team did not take the ball into their 22 or a tackle, ruck or maul took place within the 22 or an opponent touched the ball within the 22."
Event: "A player kicks the ball directly into touch."
Location of lineout: "Where the ball reaches the touchline."
Who throws in: "The non-kicking team."

As soon as a player gets tackled inside the 22, the ball is back in the 22.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
The player carrying the ball plants one of his feet outside the 22 during play, he is then pushed back into the 22 where the ruck is formed.

I thought once a player carrying the ball exits the 22 in any way, the ball has now left the 22. hence it being carried back?
No because the breakdown has formed outside the 22, I pretty sure it says where the breakdown occurs, why quite often ref will call that it is outside even though the last man's foot is inside.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)

Law 8.d.

"Ball is kicked directly into touch from within own 22 or in-goal"
"Either the defending team did not take the ball into their 22 or a tackle, ruck or maul took place within the 22 or an opponent touched the ball within the 22."
Event: "A player kicks the ball directly into touch."
Location of lineout: "Where the ball reaches the touchline."
Who throws in: "The non-kicking team."

As soon as a player gets tackled inside the 22, the ball is back in the 22.
He was tackled outside the 22. His feet were outside the 22 when he collapsed onto the ground (I.e tackled). He was outside the 22,

It was carried back.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
It doesn't matter that his feet left the 22.

His body and the ball are inside the 22 when he goes to ground. That is inside the 22.

No - his legs are over the line (and touching the ground) the whole time.

Your own words earlier:

His feet were over the line at all times throughout the tackle process. Just so I am very clear on the definition I am using for "throughout": that means - When he lands after the jump and before the tackle, as he is grabbed by an australian player but still upright, as he is brought to the ground (i.e. is tackled), and as he is placing the ball. I.E. he has carried the ball back over the line because he has been tackled over the line.

His legs are over the 22 the whole time - therefore he is over the 22 line. Exactly the same as when a player is near the sideline and gets tackled and his foot goes into touch as he is trying to release the ball back to his halfback during the ruck (i.e. they are classed as over the line).