• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Regional rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Let's give it a run and see if it has legs.

Other club rugby from the bigger cities should stay in the other thread.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There is also usually a Hunter Thread and Illawarra Thread fired up each year.

@boyo is probably trying to capture posts from the other states as well as those regional competitions not already listed above.

I quite enjoy reading the Tasmanian Rugby Blog articles, and would like to hear more about the Vic, SA and WA competitions.

If we do not start pushing the game in these areas, then who else will?

But for G&GR, would anyone have known that the IRB sponsored Pacific Rugby Cup tournament was on?

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
possibly not the ARU - they seem to believe that Randwick and the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney is located in the country areas of NSW. Maybe they share the same view as successive state governments that NSW is only the Sydney basin.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
possibly not the ARU - they seem to believe that Randwick and the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney is located in the country areas of NSW. Maybe they share the same view as successive state governments that NSW is only the Sydney basin.

Yeah, I know what you mean Aussie D but I'm just happy the team is in the new comp. When the Central Coast Rays came in I was like "Nah, not based in Newcastle, screw it" but now I wish I had of got behind it. I'm looking at the association with the Shute teams as just a way of getting the team off the ground, or getting a start. Hopefully they'll start looking more to country players in country comps then in time with enough support will end up in a regional area. TBH I think long term the NSW Country team may end up on the Central Coast which is close enough to Sydney & Newcastle, obviously can't support all NSW Country areas being that area as NSW Country is friggen huge but it will keep it an arms length away from the Shute teams of Easts/Randwick so it has that there for support to fall back on.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
You've got more confidence than me AS. I can't see Randwick and Easts allowing the team to move to Gosford except for the odd game every couple of seasons once the team is established. Unfortunately for the Country areas if any player is half decent they will be snapped up by either the Shute Shield or an NRL team so we'll never have the depth to field a team of our own. My hope is that whoever is in charge of community rugby pulls their finger out of their proverbial and puts a rocket up the backside of the zone admins (though Newcastle is pretty strong if the Maitland club is any indication) and development officers to start fielding more junior teams so that down the track their may be sufficient depth for NSW Country to field its own competition akin to a Shute Shield from which in 20 years time they can have a team in the NRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.