• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Richard Graham to quit the Force and join the Reds

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Wow, stunned and kinda excited. So far my only positive comments about RG was his commitment to the Force seemed genuine, now I see that was all false... see ya later RG.....

I can't help think Vern Reid watched his ham fisted attempts at recruiting through the off season and when he heard RG was on the move probably offered to help him pack. .....

I can't help feeling for Vern a bit when RG was quoted today as saying '...I was attracted to a coaching job in a strong rugby state...' Only a few weeks back RG was avidly declaring how intensely committed he was to the Force's success and it was so convincing and seemingly passionate that, as you're gracious enough to confirm, many good posters here were sure that it was true.

He's now going to be 'absolutely and utterly committed to the Reds' success'. A bloke who quit (or was quietly pushed from) the Wallabies in less than 2 years there, and has stayed with the Force for well under 2 years.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Here's the official blurb from the QRU. Still reads to me like Deans is out on his arse if we don't win the Bledisloe this year.

http://www.redsrugby.com.au/NewsEvents/NewsArticles/tabid/581/ArticleID/6151/Default.aspx

4/16/2012
McKenzie and Graham to drive Queensland Rugby in 2013 and beyond

Queensland Rugby is planning for the future and establishing a new coaching structure which will see Super Rugby winning coach Ewen McKenzie appointed as the St.George Queensland Reds Director of Coaching in 2013 before transitioning to Queensland Rugby’s inaugural Director of Rugby in 2014 and beyond.
The new structure is a result of a six-month plan which evaluated the requirements of the elite football department and its implementation has allowed for Western Force Coach and former Reds fullback Richard Graham to be secured as Head Coach of the Reds for the 2013 season and beyond.
Graham’s recruitment allows McKenzie to take on a broader Rugby role and also the opportunity to undertake new responsibilities in managing major Rugby strategy, outside of the daily activity of the St.George Queensland Reds.
In 2013, McKenzie will ensure Graham’s transition into Queensland Rugby next year by facilitating the new coach’s knowledge and understanding of the unique sporting landscape in Queensland and also the organisation’s strategies and structures.
In 2014 and beyond, some of McKenzie’s objectives will be to drive growth and development in the community game which includes over 200 clubs, the redevelopment of Ballymore into an elite and community sporting precinct while maintaining a high level role in setting the direction of the Reds, particularly around talent pathways and recruitment and retention strategies.
Graham, 39, played for the Reds between 1998 and 2002 and will return home to Queensland after serving as head coach of the Western Force since 2010 and as Wallabies skills coach from 2009 to 2010.
Prior to his coaching roles in Australia, the former Easts representative was an assistant coach for UK-club Bath between 2002-2006 before moving to Saracens in 2006 and fulfilling various coaching roles until taking the reins as Head Coach in 2009.
Queensland Rugby chief executive Jim Carmichael said the decision to unite McKenzie and Graham in 2013 was about providing the organisation the opportunity to build ongoing excellence for Rugby in Queensland.
“Richard is an outstanding leader and Rugby coach who has consistently demonstrated his value at fostering a strong culture at a professional football franchise,” Mr Carmichael said.
“Of particular interest to Queensland Rugby is the emphasis Richard places on maintaining and fostering a strong relationship between the elite team and the community game and everything in between.
“The opportunity to unite two highly regarded Australian rugby talents in Ewen and Richard is a great outcome for Queensland Rugby and a major part of our long-term planning for the ongoing success of the Reds.
“Ewen and his team have built an extraordinary platform for the Reds and now we have the opportunity to also include Richard in our plans, with the ability to allow him to learn our structures and strategy in 2013, rather than an immediate jump.
“Ewen brings so much more to our organisation that just a successful Rugby team. He possesses a deep understanding of our business and where we must get to in the next three years and beyond.
“We believe the culture within the Reds and within our entire organisation is unique, and is a key element to ensuring ongoing success. Ewen plays a vital role in balancing and fostering such an environment and we believe Richard will complement the culture.”
McKenzie said has been impressed in what he had seen in Graham during his time as Head Coach of the Force.

“Richard has managed the Force well through difficult times and in difficult circumstances,” McKenzie said.
“They have an improved track record this year, they defeated us in Perth recently and also performed very well against the Waratahs to beat them on their home ground this season.
“Richard carries a good reputation within the administration and among the playing group but what’s really impressed me is what he has achieved in the Rugby space, especially in driving a connection between the elite team and the community and engaging with the code’s grass-roots.
“To be honest, we didn’t want another rugby technician, we wanted a likeminded coach who understands the totality of rugby and understands where we are trying to take this business and is committed to that cause.
“I will still be overseeing the Rugby department, we’re just moving towards a more European style model.
“Richard coming to the Reds is also an opportunity for me to grow as a professional person, I’ve been an assistant coach, head coach and now I have the chance to progress to being a Director of Coaching at the Reds in 2013 and transitioning to a Director of Rugby at the state governing body in 2014 and beyond, while ensuring we have the best Rugby coach at the Reds in Richard for many years to come.
“I am particularly interested in executing Queensland Rugby’s Future Generation plan (2012-2014) which is built around strategy designed to achieve ongoing success and long-term sustainability for the Code.”
Graham said returning home to coach the St.George Queensland Reds was a family decision, made in mind with his future ambitions in Rugby.
“I thoroughly enjoy and appreciate my time in Perth with the Western Force and the experience I have gained over the past two years I believe will make me a better coach for the next stage in my career,” Graham said.
“The opportunity to return to Queensland with my family and coach my former team is something I couldn’t pass up.
“It’s a wonderful organisation and it’s vitally important to my Rugby future.
“Working with Ewen McKenzie and the Reds is going to be a new professional challenge and one I am looking forward to in 2013.”

Richard Graham Born: 05/08/1972
Coaching Appointments:
Skills, Backs and Defence Coach – Bath, 2002-06
Backs and Defence / Coaching Coordinator – Saracens, 2006-09
Head Coach – Saracens 2009
Skills Coach –Wallabies, 2009 – 2010
Backs Coach –Western Force 2010
Head Coach – Western Force 2011-2012
Coaching Achievements:
English Premiership Finalists – 2003-04 (Bath)
Powergen Cup Finalists – 2004-05 (Bath)
Heineken Cup Semi-Finalists – 2005-06 (Bath)
Heineken Cup Semi-Finalists – 2007-08 (Saracens)
Playing Career:
Australian Sevens (1998 – 2002)
Queensland Reds (1998 – 2002)
Australia A (2001)
Commonwealth Games (1998 & 2002)

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I am stunned to say the least.

1. I am sick of seeing contracts broken by players let alone managers and coaches. If the Force sacked Graham today they would be paying him out. IMO Graham owes the Force compensation. The only way anybody should be able to break a contract is through some special circumstances.

2. Has any team coached by Graham had any real level of success or improvement under his guidance. My view may well be biased for the disaster of Deans reign over the Wallabies and the part big or small that Graham has had there.

3. Many here are saying that Link has been tapped on the shoulder for a move to the Wallabies. Sorry I just don't see it. If it is indeed the case the manourvering is spectacular and as far as I am concerned shows how dingy the politics of the ARU really are. If this is the truth clean the whole place out, from top to bottom, let there be no survivors except the unpaid who donate their time and bring in some people who believe in transparency and integrity.

4. Player retrntion at the Force and the Reds will be a real problem IMO, even those on contracts as they can say well the coach broke conract so I am going to as well. I think it a strong likelyhood that QC (Quade Cooper) will walk either to League or away from Oz altogether (can't see him at another Franchise like JOC (James O'Connor) or Beale. Players like Ioane, Simmons, Fainga'a x 2, Genia etc will also be in real danger of leaving IMO. Without those players the squad looks very thin as we have seen over the last couple of weeks. As for the Force, they don't have a hell of a lot to lose. Sharpey is gone next year, and no matter what the Pocock support crowd will say Sharpe has been by far and away the most consistant and IMO the most important player for the Force over the last three years and without doubt this year. Pocock may well stay but they will be left with the dregs and old hands that are surplus to needs elsewhere. Players like Sheehan, Cummins, Maafu, Cowan, Wykes, the rest of the backline are players, with all due respect to them, who are not being looked at by any other side and are not in any way ranked near the top in their respective positions. The Force will be left with a very good backrow of Pocock, Brown and McCalman. I think you will see Hodgeson head overseas very soon. So the only players with any real shot at a Wallabies jumper barring rash of injuries, under Deans would be Pocock, McCalman, Brown (maybe) and maybe Charles.

I am stunned.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Richard coming to the Reds is also an opportunity for me to grow as a professional person, I’ve been an assistant coach, head coach and now I have the chance to progress to being a Director of Coaching at the Reds in 2013 and transitioning to a Director of Rugby at the state governing body in 2014 and beyond, while ensuring we have the best Rugby coach at the Reds in Richard for many years to come.

He craves the security of a job which does not depend on week to week results and doesn't want to leave the Reds in the lurch when the Wallabies job comes up.
But if the ARU have given Link anyone encouragement behind the scenes.....

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
IMO, even those on contracts as they can say well the coach broke conract so I am going to as well. I think it a strong likelyhood that QC (Quade Cooper) will walk either to League or away from Oz altogether (can't see him at another Franchise like JOC (James O'Connor) or Beale.
I am stunned.

Most of the players would surely have clauses which given them an option to leave if the coach changes.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I think it a strong likelyhood that QC (Quade Cooper) will walk either to League or away from Oz altogether (can't see him at another Franchise like JOC (James O'Connor) or Beale. Players like Ioane, Simmons, Fainga'a x 2, Genia etc will also be in real danger of leaving IMO. Without those players the squad looks very thin as we have seen over the last couple of weeks.

Drawing a very long bow there, I think. I'm not a fan of RG leaving early, but there is zero evidence to back up your domino theory.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Perhaps RG saw the writing on the wall (the sack) given the Force's admirable, but lackluster performances so far this year and jumped ship while he could. Maybe?

Anyway, the way I see it is succession planning from both parties - Wallabies and Reds. O'Neill has already decided McKenzie is the man post 2013, and wants to get his feet in the door next year and show him the ropes under Robbie. The Reds then, KNOW they will be without McKenzie by post 2013, and therefore don't want to waste time thinking about the future. Whether any of this is a good idea is yet to seen. Where this leaves the Force, I have no fucking clue.

Of course, this could all be accelerated if Robbie Deans has a dreadful dreadful season with the Wallabies (and going by the Super Rugby form so far this is possible), and O'Neill gives him the sack anyway knowing McKenzie is already on board. Eh!

So the Reds looked at future coaching options and thought "Boy, that Richard Graham is doing wonders over at the Force. We'd better sign him up now!"

hmmmm...

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
[quote="Gnostic, post: 348457, member: 2189"
1. I am sick of seeing contracts broken by players let alone managers and coaches. If the Force sacked Graham today they would be paying him out. IMO Graham owes the Force compensation. The only way anybody should be able to break a contract is through some special circumstances.[/quote]

Both parties have said that RG executed a 'get out' clause from his contract to negotiate with other clubs. RG didn't break his contract at all, he stuck to it and was within his rights.

todd4

Jim Clark (26)
As a Force fan I see this as encouraging news. Only the other day I posted on a thread on TWF wondering where the Force would be if we had done a proper international search for a coach when Mitchell left.
What made me say this at the time was seeing how well Jake White has transformed the Brumbies and of course how well Link had done at the Reds.
We were looking at another 2 full seasons under RG and we had not seen much to inspire us as fans. We have not been able to string two wins together and 4 try bonus points are few and far between.
Can someone explain to me why the Reds head-hunted RG? As last seasons premiers they would have been able to attract any number of world-class coaches. They must have seen something in him that they like.
Anyway, I'm quite happy with these developments, 2012 season is a write off but it gives me more hope now for 2013.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Can someone explain to me why the Reds head-hunted RG? As last seasons premiers they would have been able to attract any number of world-class coaches. They must have seen something in him that they like.
I wonder how long RG's deal is with the Reds?

Maybe he is a stop-gap option, with Link still pulling the strings next year.

If/when Link leaves for the Wallabies/Europe in 2013/14 and they don't like what they've got then they do a full head-hunt at that time?

W

What2040

Rumour is that negotiations have been progressing for several months. Still gobsmacking to me. wouldn't ya love to be a "fly on the wall", especially in Link's office

E

El Gamba

Very hard to think of anyone in OZ at the moment, especially anyone with experience. I like the idea of a battle hardened coach taking a bunch of youngsters and developing them, so maybe a bloke like Cheika (as mentioned upthread) could be lured back. I'm not sure who else really. Alan Gaffney maybe? Tim Lane?

Tim can bring Sam - can use a 5/8..

E

El Gamba

Force ripped the heart out off QLD RUGBY when franchise started. .

What complete and utter crap, perpetuated over the years by parochial New South Welshmen and Queenslanders who blame everyone but themselves for having insipid state rugby programs.

It's ironic that Qld won the title with players the like of Robinson, van Humphries, Wallace-Harrison, Samo, Ioane, Cooper, Fainga(s) and coached by McKenzie. and then have the temerity to carry on about the Force getting players from elsewhere 6 years ago.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
jake White was castigated for daring to say he was interested in the England job which meant he'd leave after 1 year into a 4 year contract. RG leaves after 2 years into a 4 year contract, but there is no where near as many vehement comments.

Even with a get out clause I'm not impressed by this, but I obviously don't know all the details. Didn't RG do something similar when he left the ARU position and took this role at the Force?

Status
Not open for further replies.