• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Richie McCaw Cheat or genius

Status
Not open for further replies.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
I am overstating it, but there was a fair bit of play acting in the contact with Mitchell (throwing his arms out and jumping backwards) considering how light the contact was. This is the main reason the touch judges even saw the contact, and why Mitchell got the first yellow card.

It is not a trait I like seeing in rugby players. I have less respect for him or anyone else that does it because of it.

Got a youtube link? I didn't see anything on the Mitchell YC in the game, from watching the Aussie coverage - it was never replayed and nobody seemed to see it (including Kearns in the comm's, whose idea of commentating a Bledisloe is purely to look for NZ infringement/play to criticise)

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Got a youtube link? I didn't see anything on the Mitchell YC in the game, from watching the Aussie coverage - it was never replayed and nobody seemed to see it (including Kearns in the comm's, whose idea of commentating a Bledisloe is purely to look for NZ infringement/play to criticise)

Here it is, everyone. View it objectively for God's sake...

[video=youtube;QBnpliFRanI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBnpliFRanI&feature=player_embedded[/video]

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member

It is posted here

Beat me DPK...

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Isn't it a natural response for your arms to flail about like that when you have been knocked backwards unexpectedly? I personally didn't see it as a 'dive' but a natural reaction. Can't blame McCaw for that yellow card, blame Kaplan.

Also, I'm in the McCaw is a cheat and genius camp. I think he cheats (or plays the game right on the line - occasionally going over it) but so does every other openside worth his salt. He plays the ref superbly and rather than criticise him for this we should be criticising the refs for not being awake to it.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Well, it ain't a yellow card, that's for bloody sure.

It's hardly a dive either. So his arms went up when he went down - so what? He was hit by Mitchell, he went down with arms up? Jesus, I could find loads of this sort of thing.

Your just looking for things to criticise him on now, whether they be fact, fiction, or a ridicuilous opinion. Hence, I'm walking away as there is nothing to be gained here, but a lot to be lost.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Mitchell was an idiot for getting the second yellow, but that first one looked awfully soft. An Oscar for Richie in order I think. Rocky was also right to complain about the AB's stopping the quick tap. The thing is though, they didn't do it after that and we did. Them = smart, us = dumb.

EDIT: I will also add that that kind of niggle just really irritates me no end. It did as a player and still does as a spectator.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I am overstating it, but there was a fair bit of play acting in the contact with Mitchell (throwing his arms out and jumping backwards) considering how light the contact was. This is the main reason the touch judges even saw the contact, and why Mitchell got the first yellow card.

It is not a trait I like seeing in rugby players. I have less respect for him or anyone else that does it because of it.

I think you've over-dramatised it Scotty. McCaw was off-balanced and got pushed, played it up it seemed but hardly took a "dive". Not unusual to see this in the game today with plenty of guys playing up "high tackles".

Top Bloke

Ward Prentice (10)
Definately No Dive, But I think the arms flying out were done for maximum effect. We see this sort of thing in every game, usually from halfbacks - sometimes penalised sometimes not. Yellow Card material? absolutely not.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I tell you a sport we see the arm flapping happening regularly in: Aussie Rules. On ball players have made an absolute art form out of it.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Thats your perogative Scarfman & I'm sure there are probably 5 or 6 others who share your view. The reason I post here as well as TSF is specifically to try and get more perspective - and after being resident here 6 odd month and seeing how a few people's view suddently seems to become gospel (RMC cheat is a prime example) I can see why it pissed you off so much.

Regardless of your opinion of us, our fans, our teams etc - I'm always up for a beer to dissect and discuss with any fan of any country regardless of their view of NZ & Richie McGod. And that is what it's all about. As soon as rugby goes down poofbal path of this not being possible, frankly, I'm not interested.

Mate, I couldn't agree more. I'm always really pleased when non-Aussies join the forum. And I reckon while I've developed the forum, I've always tried to be extra-lenient on foreign posters as a way of overcoming my inbuilt prejudices.

And we all know that as you travel the world, it's always good to meet up with Saffers and Kiwis.

I'll stick to my two points, though.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
He is a genius, he is a cheating bastard - because if you're not, you've no business being an openside - he does get away with abso-fucking-lute murder from the refs, and good luck to him. He's doing what he should, and doing it brilliantly. Don't blame him for getting away with it, blame the refs. If they cracked down, he'd stop, adapt, and still be the best around.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Joubert only penalised one side. He has no credibility. NZ took the piss and got away with it. Our guys got sin binned. Inept, incompetent. In other words, standard Joubert.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I think we are making rather too much of this refereeing issue. We got spanked fair and square and it's perhaps better to focus on what's coming this saturday, rather than perceived injustices from the officials. It's not like we haven't had the rub of the green in the past.

Top Bloke

Ward Prentice (10)
Joubert only penalised one side.... .

Here are the FACTS:

Total number of penalties: 24

Australia: 11
New Zealand: 13

The reasons for the penalties were as follows:

* = points conceded

Australia:
Tackle/ruck/maul: 7 (Moore* 2, Giteau, Elsom 2, Horne, Brown)
Discipline: 4 (Mitchell - late, no arms; Elsom* -dissent; Genia - +10; Mitchell - knocking ball away in touch)

New Zealand:
Tackle/ruck/maul: 5 (Owen Franks*, McCaw 2, Nonu, Mealamu)
Off-side: 3 (Woodcock*, 'whole backline', Sam Whitelock)
Scrum: 2 (Woodcock 2)
Discipline: 3 (Owen Franks - shoulder charge; Muliaina* - + 10; Sam Whitelock - dangerous tackle)

I think "+ 10" is not being back 10m.?? (Edit: + 10 is chipping the ref & getting marched 10)

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I'm really surprised at the Joubert-hate. Maybe you guys are seeing things I've missed, but:

- Mitchell's 1st yellow was that cheating **** Kaplan's idea
- Mitchell's 2nd yellow was just unfortunate
- He pinged Woodcock for binding / dropping, like no-one else does
- He was tough on the ABs at the ruck in the first 20mins, which was some great tone-setting. Only when the game got ridiculous did this really loosen up.
- McCaw handled him a LOT better than Rocky, and deserved the referees ear.

He made quite a few errors, but overall, I thought it was the best refereeing performance of the TriNations.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Apparently the 1st yellow was Wessels, not Kaplan, and he's been dropped from Saturday's game. Or so I read on another thread.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Just to repeat what's in the drew Mitchell thread:

The International Rugby Board has stood down panel assistant referee Cobus Wessels for this weekend’s Tri-Nations match between New Zealand and Australia.

South African Wessels has been replaced as an assistant referee by New Zealand’s Keith Brown for the game in Christchurch, in which the All Blacks will look to continue their fantastic unbeaten record so far in the competition.

He will instead act as television ref match official, with another New Zealander, Ben Skeen, dropping out of that role.

The decision comes after a ‘routine review of match official performance in last weekend’s Tri-Nations match in Melbourne’ according to the IRB, with SANZAR also approving of the move.

The IRB added: "The appointment of a replacement assistant referee from the host union is owing to the logistical and preparation pressures of selecting a neutral official for Saturday’s match and will not be a precedent for future appointments."

Wessels was responsible for flagging Drew Mitchell for his tackle on Richie McCaw, an offence which earned the later dismissed player a first yellow card.

Sorry Jonathan. You ****.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I think you've over-dramatised it Scotty. McCaw was off-balanced and got pushed, played it up it seemed but hardly took a "dive". Not unusual to see this in the game today with plenty of guys playing up "high tackles".

And I don't like any of them doing it. It is just that this thread happens to be about McCaw, so I mentioned his involvement here.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
yeah i agree, he didn't make it easy for us , but they were better than us.There might be an argument that some of his decisions increased the margin. But changing the result? Not in a million years.
There have been plenty of posts outlining where they were superior to us (and they were). We should focus on that rather than playing the blame game.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I'm really surprised at the Joubert-hate. Maybe you guys are seeing things I've missed, but:

- Mitchell's 1st yellow was that cheating **** Kaplan's idea
- Mitchell's 2nd yellow was just unfortunate
- He pinged Woodcock for binding / dropping, like no-one else does
- He was tough on the ABs at the ruck in the first 20mins, which was some great tone-setting. Only when the game got ridiculous did this really loosen up.
- McCaw handled him a LOT better than Rocky, and deserved the referees ear.

He made quite a few errors, but overall, I thought it was the best refereeing performance of the TriNations.

I agree Scarfie, although Mitchell's second was stupidity, not unfortunate. Unless your saying it's unfortunate that he's so stupid, in which case I agree.

Rocky's still quite inexperienced at captaining at the international level, so dumping him would be a pretty average decision.

I thought Joubert had a good game, and I agree he really did use the opening exchanges to set the tone of the game; he called the captains over at one stage and said something along the lines of "The games being played at a cracking pace, I wont allow anyone to slow it down and disrupt the flow" which is exactly what referee's should be aiming to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.