• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RIP GAGR

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I think forum's are still fairly popular. I hate the unstructured nature of some of the alternatives like reddit or Twitter. I'm supposedly the target demographic for all these newfangled platforms and I bloody hate them.

I know the shady figures that run this site are looking at ways to keep the forum alive. The issue is ownership and liability. We've had vague legal threats over the years and given the nature of some of the discussion we just don't want someone to end up in hot water for anything that happens on here.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
If we're able to keep it going somewhere it would definitely be without schoolboys threads because that is what causes all the issues.

The schoolboy threads are great for getting the score updates on a Saturday so if it could be restricted to that somehow it would be sufficient, and perhaps the team lists. Maybe a volunteer 'scorer/commentator' for each game but no capability for others to contribute.

That said, one silver lining of Covid perhaps is that Cluch will continue to stream the games.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
schoolboys threads

giphy.gif

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The schoolboy threads are great for getting the score updates on a Saturday so if it could be restricted to that somehow it would be sufficient, and perhaps the team lists. Maybe a volunteer 'scorer/commentator' for each game but no capability for others to contribute.

That said, one silver lining of Covid perhaps is that Cluch will continue to stream the games.

Given that some of these schools have more money than God, perhaps they could provide some way of keeping up to date with scores?

After all, Subbies manage it with FuseSport at zero cost to the onlooker.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Given that some of these schools have more money than God, perhaps they could provide some way of keeping up to date with scores?

I don't disagree with that, presumably they were the ones paying Cluch, also at zero cost to the onlooker. Even if they could just get the scores through Rugby Xplorer would be OK, I'm not sure why they aren't already.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)

There are workarounds for this like discord where interested members could be invited. Obviously some vetting process would need to be established to prevent Dismal from unleashing the full power of the photobucket on an unmoderated chat.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
There are workarounds for this like discord where interested members could be invited. Obviously some vetting process would need to be established to prevent Dismal from unleashing the full power of the photobucket on an unmoderated chat.

ship19.gif

"Systems indicate unmoderated chat north by northwest, Aunty Doris".
"Well don't just f**** stare at me Trevor you dumbarse, run the f***** pricks over".

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)

We couldn't possibly be that irresponsible. No no. We'd need some sort of firm hand to keep this mob in line. From my own personal research it looks like the Gunston Intensive Moderatory Programme -- or GIMP -- would be perfectly suited to our potential future needs.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Although I think that they are actively trying to prevent widespread dissemination of the scores.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Wonder if Gagger's thinking isnt related to the precipitous lack of Current Visitors.
http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/online/

Everyone's pretty much buggered off. There's barely 10 members online at any one time anymore. Certainly never as many as 20.

Maybe he's just thinking "stuffed if I'm paying for these 6 remaining drongos to mope around here. Put em' out of their own misery"

If anyone really wanted to kill the site as quickly as possible, they could simply hand over administration to RA. There's a fair bit of expertise there in going out of business.;)

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

Yeah true. For instance, the schools comp my boy plays in has live score updates through MyCricket. It's awesome.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I don't disagree with that, presumably they were the ones paying Cluch, also at zero cost to the onlooker.

Individual clubs were paying Cluch except for finals, to my knowledge. Considering what some clubs pay to get a video guy in, the pricing was pretty good.

Even if they could just get the scores through Rugby Xplorer would be OK, I'm not sure why they aren't already.

I've tried using Xplorer to do basic admin and, well, it needs a bit of a UX refresh.