• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rising v Rays, 24 August @ AAMI park

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

I follow qld country, but stoked to have Beau Robinson there because that's what happens in professional sport.

The game has moved on from watching the local GP, butcher and mailman take on those bastards from the next suburb over

Are all those names on the rays sheet North shore born and bred? I'd hate for you to be supporter a kiwi or islander that's only been up there for a couple of years.

T

Train Without a Station

If I can play dewar shield, not many are ready.

Reactions: Tex

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I follow qld country, but stoked to have Beau Robinson there because that's what happens in professional sport.

The game has moved on from watching the local GP, butcher and mailman take on those bastards from the next suburb over

Are all those names on the rays sheet North shore born and bred? I'd hate for you to be supporter a kiwi or islander that's only been up there for a couple of years.
Shute shield clubs have volunteers who work hard to build successful clubs, and fork out an estimated 50k each to be part of the NRC.

Rebels get funded by the ARU and get to field a super team in the NRC.

Yeah chalk and cheese, I'll always talk up and promote rugby as none of us are bigger than the game. I don't agree with the Rebels being allowed to field a team made up of super contracted players, that's the way I feel so suck it up because I ain't going to change.

I want to see rugby in Aust. Be the premier winter sport - no doubt we all do so let's just accept each other's business plans to achieve that.

T

Train Without a Station

I like how you mention the ARU "funding" rebels yet neglect that Melbourne is a big market and another team for the TV deal which the ARU gets.

Now after the ARU give the $65k grant to each premier grade club and pay for the privilege of having a game shown on ABC, what are the clubs bringing back in?

T

Train Without a Station

And when AFL finally takes over rugby strongholds due to their INVESTMENT in expansion teams, think back to these sentiments you have towards Victorian rugby Dave

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I think allowing Meehan (he's the scapegoat as the 17th player) to sign for the rising was probably a mistake.

Otherwise I don't care, especially since 5-10 locals will still be playing each week.

T

Train Without a Station

Not really. Didn't no other team want him? Better him playing than the 4th best halfback in Melbourne

T

Train Without a Station

Problem is the rebels picked the 16 that they wanted and then he was still left over after that

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)

17. Cruze Ah Nau Shute

WA player actually.

The rebels have been in the comp for what 3 years now? It takes time to develop players from local comps once there is a defined pathway.

Take the force for example we are only now starting to see local players come through. Players like Godwin Burton Hoskins all where aged 10-13 when they force and the development teams under the force where created.

Next year we will have upto 10 players on full time contracts something that would have never happen 10 years ago.

If you expect the rebels to have the ability to field a competitive vic team after 3 years you are dreaming but give it another 5-7 years they will have plenty of locals running around especially now with the NRC.

Keep up the good work Vic Rugby.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)

WA player actually.

The rebels have been in the comp for what 3 years now? It takes time to develop players from local comps once there is a defined pathway.

Take the force for example we are only now starting to see local players come through. Players like Godwin Burton Hoskins all where aged 10-13 when they force and the development teams under the force where created.

Next year we will have upto 10 players on full time contracts something that would have never happen 10 years ago.

If you expect the rebels to have the ability to field a competitive vic team after 3 years you are dreaming but give it another 5-7 years they will have plenty of locals running around especially now with the NRC.

Keep up the good work Vic Rugby.

Good stuff WA, great hearing good news stories like that - I'd followed Hoskins and Godwin come through the ranks.

Rebels are my second team, yeah I want to see them get stronger - I'd like to see some of the Dewar players in the starting side for the Rising having a crack. I'd also love to see a rising U20 side as that may speed up the development process.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Gee isn't it good to see Rising developing there own talent, instead they field a Super 15 team made up of players from NSW & QLD.

1. Toby Smith Kiwi
2. Tom Sexton / Pat Leafa Kiwi
3. PAE Bris
4. Luke Jones Shute
5. Cadeyrn Neville Shute
6. ?
7. ?
8. Lopeti Timani Shute
9. Nic Stirzacker Shute
10. Jack Debrenzci Shute
11. Tom English (if available) Shute
12. Lloyd Johansson
13. Luke Inman Shute
14. Telusa Veainu Kiwi
15. Jonah Placid Bris

16. Tom Sexton / Pat Leafa Kiwi
17. Cruze Ah Nau Shute
18. Max Lahiff (yeah, I realise both reserve props a LHPs) UK
19. Sam Jeffries Shute Bris
20. ?
21. Ben Meehan Bris
22. ?
23. ?

Sorry but Vic needs to pull there finger out and look to give some of their emerging players a go.

You're going to need a bigger boat.

Reactions: Tex

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Nope, the players in the Rays are going to benefit through the development of playing against super players.
I am curious about a couple of our selections - but I'll have to wait and see.

As are the the best players from the Dewar Shield.

The Rising will also be full of Rebels players who barely got on the field in Super Rugby in 2014 like Lopeti Timani, Jack Debreczeni, Tom Sexton (who was injured), Telusa Veainu, Jonah Placid (albeit at the Reds), Sam Jeffries and Ben Meehan.

I think you're having a whinge for the sake of it.

The NRC is meant to keep non Wallaby Super Rugby players playing a high level of rugby and give the best club rugby players a chance to play at a higher level to try and take the next step towards being a professional.

What's the point of someone from Melbourne playing who might be a 3rd grade player if they played for the amazing Manly Marlins club? That would benefit no one.

T

Train Without a Station

Actually BH I'd argue that it's not even to give the best club rugby players a chance at a higher level. It's to give the players who could potentially be Super Rugby players a chance to play at a level closer to that to test them.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Actually BH I'd argue that it's not even to give the best club rugby players a chance at a higher level. It's to give the players who could potentially be Super Rugby players a chance to play at a level closer to that to test them.

Well yeah, but that's pretty much semantics. I get what you're saying and I agree.

Coaches clearly pick out some guys as having more potential to make it at a higher level even though they're not playing better than some other guys at the lower level.

Status
Not open for further replies.