• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rising v Rays, 24 August @ AAMI park

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Ladder not updated yet, but I think we're in second place behind the Eagles on PD and ahead of City due to the Bonus Point win?

CarlUnger

Chris McKivat (8)
So many tries. Crowd looked solid. Saw many Melb fans in their new gear, well done. Next time North Harbour. Here is a pic of the crowd from the opp side of the field.

Attachments

• crowd.jpg
    crowd.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 329

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
So many tries. Crowd looked solid. Saw many Melb fans in their new gear, well done. Next time North Harbour. Here is a pic of the crowd from the opp side of the field.

Week 1 and I've been impressed so far with the way things have gone. The chanllenge for rugby is to really build on this.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Box Hill's Sefa Naivalu was very impressive at 13, thought Jack D had a good game to. His Monster boot is going to be help full next season for the Rebels.

Tom Sexton looked good when he came on off the bench except for his first line out throw. Hit the mark on the rest and looked strong in the scrum. Think he will put a lot of pressure on Pat for the starting position.

Cam Crawford and Placid will be help full inclusions for the Rebels next season.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
good afternoon's entertainment.

rising, on paper at least, should have won much more easily, but turned over a lot of possession in attack (a la rebels !).

my impressions, rising very strong at scrum time, line out improved as game wore on. attacking structure looked pretty good, two or three tries from set piece. defence pretty reasonable, the rays attack and hole running were pretty good imo. the rising need to work on keeping possession in contact, a few soft turnovers and a couple of miracle passes that didn't need to be thrown. clean out needs more accuracy.

the good, naivalu, sexton, veaninu, debreczeni all played well.
jones and inman weren't as dominant as i thought they might be. timani not so sold on him as yet, possibly a "boarding house cup of tea", big and weak !

refereeing was OK and importantly didn't have a significant effect on the game. not certain the ref has learnt the 30 sec scrum law yet !

for the rays, peterson. porecki and wells in the forwards and tom mathews at centre impressed me. thought there halves combined well also.

bring on the stars

edit: oh and the other poor thing was the Risings inability to control the kick off reception after scoring on 3 or 4 occasions.

see amended comment about Timani below

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Rebels Radio blokes were jizzing themselves over Timani. I'm assuming that was exaggerated.

IMO yes !

he is definitely short of a run, and although he made good metres with some carries he turned over the ball a couple of times. no big hits in defence i can recall

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Rebels Radio blokes were jizzing themselves over Timani. I'm assuming that was exaggerated.

Nope. He's absolutely dominant when he wants to be. In about one minute he'd blown up a Rays ruck from a kick-off, single-handedly forcing the turnover then a couple of phases later he came flying in from deep, just an enormous carry. Completely blew Luke Holmes up - pretty scary stuff. Holmes was flailing around trying to stand up, then falling on his face. You can just hear this slap of meat when he hits people. He drifted in and out of the game, but when he was in he made shit happen.

Rebel rouser

Ted Fahey (11)
Just got back. Was a great game. Very entertaining with a decent effort put in from both sides. Harbour were full of no names (unless you keep up with the shute shield I presume) but were still pretty competitive. I was particularly impressed with Matt Lucas who showed what he can do when given a full game at scrumhalf. I think his size is a problem for higher levels though.

Rising backline had glimpses of being very good on attack. If we can wipe out the little handling errors that relieve pressure at critical times we will give this comp a decent shake.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Basically his problem is consistency. Like we've known for some time.

Well, yeah. But seriously, his potential is stratospheric. Can see why teams keep giving him a shot. He's just so big, and so fast, and so strong and when he puts it together he breaks people and teams.

Scooter

Colin Windon (37)
I was really impressed with Naivalu. I thought Jack Debreczeni played well. Jonah Placid showed promise too.

I love the change in points for penalties and conversions made for very attacking rugby. It was a very enjoyable afternoon.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Box Hill's Sefa Naivalu was very impressive at 13, thought Jack D had a good game to. His Monster boot is going to be help full next season for the Rebels.

Tom Sexton looked good when he came on off the bench except for his first line out throw. Hit the mark on the rest and looked strong in the scrum. Think he will put a lot of pressure on Pat for the starting position.

Cam Crawford and Placid will be help full inclusions for the Rebels next season.

Great game from a spectator's perspective but we needed to hold a team with the league's weakest roster to less points than that.

Jack D was really good ball in hand but I felt really conservative when kicking for touch, his huge boot often landed the ball in touch by 30m but barely progressed us up field.

Sexton did look good, hopefully the people talking him up are right.

Placid looked good too, but Veinu is the bloke who really impressed in the back 3.

Crawford did nothing, let's hope 2014 is just an unmemorable season in between a great 2013 and a great 2015.

Naivalu really impressed, I don't think he's a 13 though and by where he was often lining up off set piece I don't think the Rebels coaches do either.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Tot
Nope. He's absolutely dominant when he wants to be. In about one minute he'd blown up a Rays ruck from a kick-off, single-handedly forcing the turnover then a couple of phases later he came flying in from deep, just an enormous carry. Completely blew Luke Holmes up - pretty scary stuff. Holmes was flailing around trying to stand up, then falling on his face. You can just hear this slap of meat when he hits people. He drifted in and out of the game, but when he was in he made shit happen.
Totally forgot about him pole axing holmes early on

Tex

John Thornett (49)
Tot
Totally forgot about him pole axing holmes early on

That was scary. Poor bloke was fighting to stay on but the lights had been comprehensively switched off.

I agree with Dumbledore - totally understand why he's contracted. Such raw power.

That was a thoroughly enjoyable game of rugby and I encourage all Rebel fans to get down and have a gander.

D

daz

Forgetting the little details around player ratings, game plans, etc, etc, I had a fantastic time. The game was played at a sprint from the first whistle and a heap of blokes were blowing hard after 10 minutes.

It was hard as nails stuff, with some massive hits. I know I shouldn't laugh about head knocks, but watching poor old Luke Holmes get pole-axed, then face plant himself trying to get up was comical. Especially when he was trying to convince the medical staff he was good to go back on, but had to be held up while he was talking.

The diving try in the corner by NHR fullback David Feltscheer was brilliant.

Thoroughly entertaining. The club boys really had a dip and I walked away absolutely convinced this competition is not only well and truly over-due, but Oz rugby will get huge benefit from this.

A crowd of 2,100 or so was a good turn out IMHO. If the games are as fast, hard and high scoring in the future, expect many more to turn up.

All in all, a big tick from me. Of course I want the Rising to do well (and I have money on them winning the bloody thing) but deep down, what I really want is to have a great day out watching some cracking rugby, especially when at this time of the year I am normally bereft of live rugby.The NRC is delivering in spades so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.