• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rougeries's eye gouge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Mc Caw is not complaining or blaming anyone, if he can let it go, so should we. It was a fairly torrid and desperate last quarter.

so when it gets torrid and desperate its no holds barred? Rubbish.

251011SPLGOUGE.JPG

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby-world-cup-2011/news/article.cfm?c_id=522&objectid=10761711

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
The good side for kiwis is that now I'm not sure French teams in Top 14 will try to hire McCaw in their side.
The guy won't be really welcome here and I'm pretty happy with that.
Only trouble is Sud, he already resigned with NZ for 4 years anyway. Not quite sure why he wouldn't ne welcome because he let himself be eye gouged but.....

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Rougerie should be cited and banned for a long time. Burger the same. No place for it, no matter how "torrid and desperate" the situation or how deep the ref has swallowed the whistle. Disgusting stuff.

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
Whether McCaw has decided to "let it go" (read "get him back next time") is irrelevant.

My boys watch this game. Young kids model themselves on actions. Say what you like to them, spout all the high minded ideals you can wrap your lips around, but know this - its what they see getting DONE that is the big influencer here. They see that, they see nothing happened to the grub who did it and you can bleat til you're blind in the Juniors and Schools about Sportsmanship and Fair Play and you may as well go fart in a field for all the difference it makes.

This incident, the Burger incident - both dirty, intentional, malicious, hot headed, ill-disciplined and dangerous. The consequences? Absolutely NOTHING. Yeah, great message. Brilliant administration of a high profile international game on the world stage. Hell of an example.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
McCaw is New Zealand's greatest ever rugby legend.

Colin Meads baby - though McCaw has got to be catching up on him. Next time he plays a game with a broken shoulder I'll call it a tie.

More on topic, Rougerie is a grub. He finally has a good game and then ruins it with this shit. Idiot.

Pieman

Ward Prentice (10)
Isn't France touring NZ in 2013? I know it's a couple of years away and who knows if Rougerie will still be playing then, but if he's in the team he could be in for an interesting reception.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Colin Meads baby - though McCaw has got to be catching up on him. Next time he plays a game with a broken shoulder I'll call it a tie.

More on topic, Rougerie is a grub. He finally has a good game and then ruins it with this shit. Idiot.

He will have to perform the reprehensible wishbone manouvre on the Australian half as well

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Isn't France touring NZ in 2013? I know it's a couple of years away and who knows if Rougerie will still be playing then, but if he's in the team he could be in for an interesting reception.

He'll be fine. I don't think he was born in NZ... ;)

P

pete88

Have to get it over with before the next weekend.

I totally get that a player's fate shouuld be decided ASAP but it now has led to some horrific miscarriages of justice on the rugby field regarding disgusting acts of foul play. Umaga and Mealamu (always makes me laugh when we hear how clean he is from Kiwi commentators right as he throws the first punch or headbutts someone - tangent) spearing O'Driscoll with loads of intent, Rougerie and Burger getting away with serious eye gouges. I mean sure it would leave a bad taste in the mouth with many if something that happened in a RWC Semi got "missed" until after the final, but I'd prefer to have seen Umaga, Mealamu and Rougerie banned rather than escape on a technicality.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
From a closed thread, so I cant properly attribute the poster, but it was Budgie's post 1408 http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/forum/threads/9540-RWC-2011-Quarter-final-3-Springbokke-v.-Wallabies-CLOSED?p=302315&viewfull=1#post302315

Quoting Hugh Jarse
The eyes should be sacrosanct. Is it my imagination, or was ther a Welsh club player (Quinnell) recently blinded in one eye from an eye gouge?

Wikipedia:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gavin_Quinnell
Gavin Quinnell (born 25 November 1983 in Llanelli, Wales) is a former Welsh rugby union player. His career was ended as a result of an eye gouge in a Welsh premiership game. He played for several teams in England, Wales and Italy but finished his career with Magners league side Llanelli Scarlets. He is the son of Derek Quinnell and brother of Scott Quinnell and Craig Quinnell, all former Wales internationals.
Before joining Llanelli Scarlets he started rugby in his home village for Furnace United RFC, as a youth player where he played mainly at Number 8.
In 2006 he left the Llanelli Scarlets to join Worcester Warriors in a two-year deal.[1] He scored a total of nine tries in 20 appearances in his first season at Sixways and quickly became a cult hero with his all-action displays.
Quinnell can play at Number 8, flanker or lock and established himself as a powerful impact player for Warriors.
After not being offered a new contract by Worcester at the end of the 2007-08 season, Gavin Quinnell was forced to find a new club. He then moved on to Italian Super 10 club Viadana.
On 23 July 2010, Quinnell rejoined his former team Scarlets on a two-year contract.[2]
Quinnell suffered an eye injury 30 minutes into a game against Cross Keys on 2 October 2010. The following Thursday it was confirmed that, despite the best efforts of surgeons, he had lost the sight in his left eye.[3] The incident is currently being investigated by the Welsh Rugby Union and Gwent Police .

Further Info on this thread entitled Quinnell Jr loses sight in his left eye after playing incident :
http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/forum/threads/6155-Quinnell-Jr-loses-sight-in-his-left-eye-after-playing-incident?p=182099&highlight=quinnell#post182099

Someone has already talked about consequences of eye gouging on impressionable kids coming up throuogh the ranks. This is a reminder (as if we don't need one) of the potential consequences of this disgraceful activity.

Bones repair, cuts heal, sprains and strains get fixed. Once your sight is gone, it generally doesn't come back. The prosecution rests.

If the IRB doesn't do anything, then it is up to the French RU, coaches and selectors to do the right thing and de-select him from the national team. There is also nothing stopping the clubs from similarly doing the right thing. All these measures are dependent on the "guilty bastard" receiving the benefit of natural justice and the presumption of innocence until proven guilty.

P

pete88

Totally agree, but the French clubs have a history of throwing the toys out of the pram when the IRB bans their players for filthy foul play, so it's probably wishful thinking. Too much money on the line I guess.

And as far as the impressionable kids go, well I remember after Bakkies eye gouged and bit Brendan Cannon in 2002 I was eyegouged at the bottom of a ruck in schoolboy rugby a few weeks later. Not gonna lie the pain was fucken extreme, I totally panicked and freaked out, it was one of the scariest moments of my life. Rugby can't continue to let this shit slide.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
I totally get that a player's fate shouuld be decided ASAP but it now has led to some horrific miscarriages of justice on the rugby field regarding disgusting acts of foul play. Umaga and Mealamu (always makes me laugh when we hear how clean he is from Kiwi commentators right as he throws the first punch or headbutts someone - tangent) spearing O'Driscoll with loads of intent, Rougerie and Burger getting away with serious eye gouges. I mean sure it would leave a bad taste in the mouth with many if something that happened in a RWC Semi got "missed" until after the final, but I'd prefer to have seen Umaga, Mealamu and Rougerie banned rather than escape on a technicality.

To be honest, I didn't think there was any dangerous intent in the O'Driscoll tackle. If O'Driscoll had rolled with the tackle rather than putting his arm in a stupid place he wouldn't have been injured at all. I don't mind the interpretation of the law that says the tackler is responsible if they lift someone, but what O'Driscoll did was terrible technique, and caused his injury more than the tackle.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I am the first to agree that McCaw gets what he deserves on the wrong side of the ruck but attacking the eyes has no place in rugby. I would be happy to see a 3-6 month ban for this.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
They should bring back rucking and it would get rid of much of this horrendous behaviour.

Players deliberately lying on the wrong side of the ruck deserve to cop it, particularly if the referee isn't doing anything to stop it. Given that rucking isn't tolerated anymore, it would seem that frustrated players are resorting to more subtle, and far more dangerous and dirty tactics such as eye gouging.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
They should bring back rucking and it would get rid of much of this horrendous behaviour.

Players deliberately lying on the wrong side of the ruck deserve to cop it, particularly if the referee isn't doing anything to stop it. Given that rucking isn't tolerated anymore, it would seem that frustrated players are resorting to more subtle, and far more dangerous and dirty tactics such as eye gouging.

McCaw would be trampled to pieces if we got rucking back and Pocock would have bled like a slaughtered ox in the quarters. :)

We can only dream.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)

Am I the only who would swear he's seen some rucking at this RWC. Tentative and sometimes half-hearted but definitely rucking.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I agree. There was definitely a bit, but always tentative and half-hearted as you say, because anymore and it gets cracked down on heavily.

Status
Not open for further replies.