• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 13 : Reds v Drua 18 May (Fiji)

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Vunivalu is playing fine and starting to look like he may know a bit more about what he is doing out there. I'm not going to argue he has been worth the price tag but any back line concerns for this game don't highlight the guy for me.

It'll be interesting to see Tim off the bench. I'm also looking forward to seeing Annan and to watch him more closely at 12. The game 23 is not the strongest we could manage with nil injuries but we don't live in a fantasy world.
No player single handedly losses you a game. That’s no different to blaming a kicker who misses a shot on full time.
Teehee

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Even putting aside that diabolical Vunivalu performance, which should see him relegated to club land for the rest of the season, that was very average by the Reds. The forwards made no impact and some were really found out in the physical stuff.

Meanwhile the basic stuff let us down starting with Daly dropping the kick off and Creighton kicking out on the full. But the Fiji pack were all over us.

I was only banking on a bonus point loss for that game, which we obviously didn’t get via some poor match play. But we need good wins for the next two weeks and that’s not guaranteed given that performance.

And an average performance and loss means the home game v the Force will struggle to pull 10,000 you’d think. Important financials too.

In the end Kiss’s first year was never going to nail it. He’s learning the players. They are learning him. He’ll needed to freshen the squad but with two games to go and a home final still a slight chance, on paper, we are doing ok.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Not that I don’t appreciate the humour - fair play, I certainly left myself open - but Vunivalu didn’t lose that for us. He certainly didn’t f@@@ing help - but I wish that loss was as simple as blaming him. It’d make me feel better.

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
but with two games to go and a home final still a slight chance, on paper, we are doing ok.

Can we get a home final?

Two bonus point wins and two losses by the chiefs would put us even on points but 8 wins us & 9 wins them so wouldn't they still be ahead?

Or do they look at bonus points before wins???

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ahh good point. I was relying on results from last week going our way. Yep. Don’t think we can host now. Bugger.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
No - we can’t. But as weird as it is to say if I had a preference of the teams to play away it is the Chiefs.

Still want to go into finals on the back of two wins though and not two losses. The big question will be how drained the team is after Fiji against a pumped up Force.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Am I looking at the wrong table? 11 points behind the Chiefs with two rounds to go. With two BP wins, the max the Reds can earn is 10 right?

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Kiss might have mismanaged the substitutions during Vunivalus sin-bin.. bringing Ryan on for Aubrey whilst Vunivalu was off meant Thomas was the only back replacement left when the red card finished, Thomas adds nothing as a wing replacement
I would have had Thomas to 9 and Tate to the wing, he has filled in there a couple of times under Thorn when players got injured and did ok.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
Vunavalu can't wear red again. 2 trips in one game wow. The second one shouldn't be a card to be fair. He tried to trip him but didn't. He attempted to trip him.

Tate was right in the first half. Cops a shoulder to the leads after kicking the ball. Lucky he wasn't injured. If he stayed down that's a yellow card.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
Reds blew it. Were the better side on the night. If they took their penalties for 3 points they would have won the game. Build score board pressure. They just of turned down 3 points 4 times or so.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Vunavalu can't wear red again. 2 trips in one game wow. The second one shouldn't be a card to be fair. He tried to trip him but didn't. He attempted to trip him.

Tate was right in the first half. Cops a shoulder to the leads after kicking the ball. Lucky he wasn't injured. If he stayed down that's a yellow card.

Geez Shig, second trip, second card, hence red. And he did make contact to the foot.

I suspect both occasions were simple natural reactions. As understandable as that is, the YC and then the RC were the only answers.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Not that I don’t appreciate the humour - fair play, I certainly left myself open - but Vunivalu didn’t lose that for us. He certainly didn’t f@@@ing help - but I wish that loss was as simple as blaming him. It’d make me feel better.

I point at the shite line out, myself. Can't avoid it though, down the 14 men for 30 mins very likely on it's own cost us that game. The line out may have done it on it's own but you cant ignore that 30 minutes.

capalaba

Herbert Moran (7)
Rewatched the game, Suli's cards were justified and for me they looked like reflex actions and nothing malicious.

Forwards were outmatched at the breakdown, gave away too many turnovers. Creighton controlled the game as best as he could. Lineouts were terrible we were.not physically domainant at all. We need to make chamges to the pack, there was no attitude out there.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Lineouts were terrible we were.not physically domainant at all. We need to make chamges to the pack, there was no attitude out there.

This was always going to happen with Faessler being rested. There is daylight between him and the other hookers in the squad.

I really don’t get why you rest him in what will turn out to be a crucial loss in terms of where we will finish on the table. Sacrificing a potential home final to rest a player during a season this short seems dumb.