• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 16 - Reds vs Waratahs - Saturday 2 June - 7:45pm @ Suncorp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Great game! Disappointed with the result. A lot of players really put their hands up for selection through June.

I have to have a whinge but. That commentary wasn’t just bad, it made a really good game of rugby, hard to enjoy. People keep talking about what’s wrong with Rugby in Australia and there’s plenty of thing but fuck me, having commentators like that simply crapping all over a good Aussie derby is definitely one of the big ones.

It’s like watching a game in a pub and having a couple of drunk has beens sitting nearby just running their ignorant mouths all game. How Foxtel can think that a team like that adds to the product is beyond me. [/RANT]

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
It was almost physically impossible for it to be fine.
And contrary to horan’s claim it was forward viewed in real time and slomo had nothing to do with it.
Is there any level of oz rugby that isn’t infected with nepotism?
God knows how Simmons keeps, say, Phillip out of the Wobblies squad.

Or, on tonight's showing, Holloway. Jed was best lock on the ground. Tahs have found the missing piece in their puzzle.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
IS have another look and really look at the camera angle and the cross lines. I'll shut up if you still think it was more thann flat.

Definitely forward Dru, and picked it up in real time. Didn't need any slomo to see that.

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I wish Clarke would shut up (or at least do some basic research) about this game being the oldest rivalry in Australian sport. NSW started playing Vic in cricket almost 30 years before the first NSW v Qld union match. Oldest Union rivalry for sure

Whatever

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Sorovi looks like he could be something special. Stewart is well out of his depth.

I get your assessment, but he did some good things and I can never recall a young 10 coming in for his first starts in demanding games at Super level and just knocking it out of the park for 60-80 mins. Including QC (Quade Cooper), Foley.

Having said that, I thought letting Greene and Mason (as high potential young 10s) slip away from the Reds was a serious error in recruitment. Once McIntyre was shown not up to it, Stewart was more or less the only default thereafter.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Sorovi looks like he could be something special. Stewart is well out of his depth.

Oh come on. Stewart is far from the finished product but he was in no way "well out of his depth". His kicking was shite, hardly a comment on his ability in the game. And it's his first start in Super.

Sorovi and Stewart were central to many of the good things in the Red performance. They need to develop and give every view that they will indeed do that.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Great game! Disappointed with the result. A lot of players really put their hands up for selection through June.

I have to have a whinge but. That commentary wasn’t just bad, it made a really good game of rugby, hard to enjoy. People keep talking about what’s wrong with Rugby in Australia and there’s plenty of thing but fuck me, having commentators like that simply crapping all over a good Aussie derby is definitely one of the big ones.

It’s like watching a game in a pub and having a couple of drunk has beens sitting nearby just running their ignorant mouths all game. How Foxtel can think that a team like that adds to the product is beyond me. [/RANT]

Kearns has some sort of Tourette's. Just blurts any idiotic thought that pops up in his head. They need some new blood, and by that I don't mean another recently retired player. Not sure where they'll get it?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Kearns has some sort of Tourette's. Just blurts any idiotic thought that pops up in his head. They need some new blood, and by that I don't mean another recently retired player. Not sure where they'll get it?

If you're after a Qld flavour the bloke calling the QPR stream is pretty decent.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)

100% agree - and they are getting worse each year and I did no consider that possible!

I’m sure Schmidt and a few of the Irish players would have tuned into that tonight from the Goldie and been in stitches over that commentary - most of the Foxtel comms don’t even know the laws.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I get your assessment, but he did some good things and I can never recall a young 10 coming in for his first starts in demanding games at Super level and just knocking it out of the park for 60-80 mins. Including QC (Quade Cooper), Foley.

Having said that, I thought letting Greene and Mason (as high potential young 10s) slip away from the Reds was a serious error in recruitment. Once McIntyre was shown not up to it, Stewart was more or less the only default thereafter.

Before he moved up to Super level, McIntyre was being hailed as the next big thing by many of the Reds supporters. The same is now being said about Stewart. I am sceptical about Stewart reaching Super level.

On the other hand, on tonight's performance I think Sorovi has the world at his feet. Just needs to make a few better decisions but that will come with experience. He is a real threat to the opposition when he runs with the ball. Best No 9 prospect going around I'd say.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Yep, I'd agree. Kerevi looked very good. HAS to be starting at 13 for the Wallabies, you'd think.
Bullshit..TK has earned his spot over years..or do we need another 40 point half to understand TK is important

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)

Stewart's been pretty good yeah. Wouldn't say he knocked it out of the park tonight but is still the best flyhalf on the roster.
Major recruitment priority needs to be a goalkicking fullback

Also speaks volumes of the qld production line that we've produced 3 pretty good 10s in the past 2, 3 years

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)

I don't think Stewart was out of his depth, just didn't have an awesome individual game, but I'd point out that our attack functioned a LOT more effectively with Stewart (and Sorovi) than it has with Lance. Paia'aua looked much better too (likely because not Lance at 10). While not having Lance really cost us, at least 7 points, I think he can easily fill that role from 15, fuck me if you want to talk about someone being out of their death Jayden Ngamanu should be asked if playing club rugby is what's best for him.

We really need to figure out what we are doing about fullback next year. My initial instinct is to shift Daugunu to 15, but after having seen him in a few games perhaps Petaia could be an option (send him down to Club & NRC to play some 15).

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Sorry who cares about cricket
I wish Clarke would shut up (or at least do some basic research) about this game being the oldest rivalry in Australian sport. NSW started playing Vic in cricket almost 30 years before the first NSW v Qld union match. Oldest Union rivalry for sure

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
This turned out to be a most enjoyable game to watch. Tahs and Rebels now consolidated as the top Aussie sides. Would like to see one go the whole way, and imo it's not impossible. The NZ hoodoo is waning fast.

The Reds have the making of a top notch side in a year or so. Some of the most exciting young players in the competition; Tupou, Rodda, Timu, ASY (Angus Scott-Young), Wright, Sorovi, Perese and Petaia are all stars in the making. Keep them in Aus and we will reach dizzy heights in the world rankings again in time.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Bullshit..TK has earned his spot over years..or do we need another 40 point half to understand TK is important

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Yeah, but have you watched his performances this year? He has been below ordinary.

Status
Not open for further replies.