• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 16 - Reds vs Waratahs - Saturday 2 June - 7:45pm @ Suncorp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I get it.. but he has earned it.. his always better in tests..Kervis always been worse. Id say Ronas a chance at 13 but Kervis best games been at 12..and if CFS wasnt injuried hed be at 13..

Yes we had some shit performace but they have been much worse when others were at 13..

TK generally steps up in Tests, yes. Kerevi isn’t always worse and I’d argue that he’s rarely worse. He has some flaws but he also has big upsides. Are we always better when TK is at 13? Geez that’s a big call but that’s the problem with absolute statements.

I’m not advocating for anyone at 13 but. I’d be happy with TK or Kerevi to be honest. I think it’s a better look for a team when you reward current form but and make players like TK earn their spot as well. Chieka though, frustratingly has players that he sticks with regardless of current form so who knows what will happen.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
TK generally steps up in Tests, yes. Kerevi isn’t always worse and I’d argue that he’s rarely worse. He has some flaws but he also has big upsides. Are we always better when TK is at 13? Geez that’s a big call but that’s the problem with absolute statements.

I’m not advocating for anyone at 13 but. I’d be happy with TK or Kerevi to be honest. I think it’s a better look for a team when you reward current form but and make players like TK earn their spot as well. Chieka though, frustratingly has players that he sticks with regardless of current form so who knows what will happen.
Yeah and TK ismt one Chekia has stuck with..he dropped him..and got burnt by a Beale Kerevi centre combo..remember all out attack.. but hey 40 point one half wasnt enough he got moved back to 12 cos he cant read the play in defence.. and yes we aee results say that..id be surprised if we have won a game with Kerevi..lol stupid state anyway...

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Anyway was at game and enjoyed it . Thoughts I had from the game was No argument the Tahs deserved the win, geez ther got some easy metres during the game, either from silly penalties or from Reds just letting them run. Mind you it seemed a game where defence was optional fo both teams at times. I like the look of young Sorovi, probably the most exciting looking young 9 I have seen in Aus in last few years. Haven't been through thread, but has there been any comment on Toua's injury, it looked like Folau kneed him in the head as he jumped for the ball. Was a little surprised that it wasn't looked at.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Anyway was at game and enjoyed it . Thoughts I had from the game was No argument the Tahs deserved the win, geez ther got some easy metres during the game, either from silly penalties or from Reds just letting them run. Mind you it seemed a game where defence was optional fo both teams at times. I like the look of young Sorovi, probably the most exciting looking young 9 I have seen in Aus in last few years. Haven't been through thread, but has there been any comment on Toua's injury, it looked like Folau kneed him in the head as he jumped for the ball. Was a little surprised that it wasn't looked at.
They did show one reply - I didn't personally think there was much in it. Definite contact with the knee to the head, but it wasn't deliberate at all and Folau wasn't reckless. He didn't raise the knee excessively or anything - he just jumped high and had momentum. Just one of those unfortunate things really.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
They did show one reply - I didn't personally think there was much in it. Definite contact with the knee to the head, but it wasn't deliberate at all and Folau wasn't reckless. He didn't raise the knee excessively or anything - he just jumped high and had momentum. Just one of those unfortunate things really.

I didn't think it was worth too much the only thing I had thought with everyone having to be careful of heads etc they may of checked it out.

Reactions: TSR

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I didn't think it was worth too much the only thing I had thought with everyone having to be careful of heads etc they may of checked it out.
Understand what you mean - when I saw it, my first thought was whether they would come back to it, even though I didn't think Folau had done anything wrong.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Why wasn’t it a penalty?
Folau never touched the ball and Tua wasn’t in possession.
Law 9
“When a player and an opponent are running for the ball, neither player may charge or push the other except shoulder-to-shoulder.”

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Why wasn’t it a penalty?
Folau never touched the ball and Tua wasn’t in possession.
Law 9
“When a player and an opponent are running for the ball, neither player may charge or push the other except shoulder-to-shoulder.”
Maybe I need to see a replay - but when I watched it last night I thought it was fine. I thought Folau was legitimately looking to contest the ball.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I wonder if Folau walked away from this game thinking "These Reds, Are a team i want to play for in 2019"

My answer is yes.

Folau would of seen the dominate scrum, the amazing talent in the backline and the never die attitude and met Brad Thorn in the hallway post game with his manager to nut out the contract details.

Ok Ok.. all fantasy on my behalf.. but the Reds are in good position for the Folau sweepstakes after last night.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Maybe I need to see a replay - but when I watched it last night I thought it was fine. I thought Folau was legitimately looking to contest the ball.

To look at it from a different perspective, if Toua had jumped just as high as Folau and been cleaned up (as he was & would have) then it's potentially yellow card territory. But because Toua didn't jump as high he's not entitled to any protection. IMO Folau was reckless in the way he jumped, you can't just jump into/on top of someone, it's not good enough that Toua not be afforded any protection just because he he didn't jump heaps high.
I don't think it had any impact on the game, and am fine with it not being called, but I do think we need to rethink these highball rules.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
To look at it from a different perspective, if Toua had jumped just as high as Folau and been cleaned up (as he was & would have) then it's potentially yellow card territory. But because Toua didn't jump as high he's not entitled to any protection. IMO Folau was reckless in the way he jumped, you can't just jump into/on top of someone, it's not good enough that Toua not be afforded any protection just because he he didn't jump heaps high.
I don't think it had any impact on the game, and am fine with it not being called, but I do think we need to rethink these highball rules.
Zero Cool I am starting to think you are actually a master of satire.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The whole area seems riddled with uncertainty.
I don’t think the laws should even give the possibility of Folau being in the wrong, but I’m not sure that is their effect.

Reactions: TSR

OldColt

Sydney Middleton (9)
Not really in the minority BR - I just dont watch the school to u20 close enough. So all I had was what i was at the reds.

I like that Stewart was a school 7. A lot. How this translates to a Super 10 has me bemused. Butif fans can call Foley a creative 10 (and plenty do) I think there is enough hope for Stewart to see how it goes.

I might add that i had no wraps on the bloke from school/u20 anymore than i did with Jake. I just see what I see at the Reds.

From flyhalf Slipper made one of the best LHPs the country has seen, imo. So why not a 10 from 7?

To me Stewart very definitely looks to be able to cope at Super level. Can he cope at 10? Time will tell, time that the Reds should give him.

He may have been a 7 at some stage, but he played 10 for Toowoomba against Newington in a trial game in 2015, and by all accounts was one of their best, along with Harry Hoopert at LH. I don’t know if he played 10 all that year, but he certainly played 10 in the Queensland U20s team after he left school, and was the stand out in that competition.

Reactions: dru

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Yeah and TK ismt one Chekia has stuck with..he dropped him..and got burnt by a Beale Kerevi centre combo..remember all out attack.. but hey 40 point one half wasnt enough he got moved back to 12 cos he cant read the play in defence.. and yes we aee results say that..id be surprised if we have won a game with Kerevi..lol stupid state anyway.

Tests with Kerevi playing: W8 L8 D2 =50% w/l
Tests with Kuridrani playing: W30 L26 D2 =53.4% w/l

Blow me down and call me Clancy, we have won a few with Kerevi on the field?!

I’m still not sure what your point is. I think you’re saying that because Kerevi had a bad game a season or two ago he shouldnt be picked but despite the fact that Kuridrani has had a very below average season this year he should be picked?

Anyway, like I said, I don’t mind particularly who gets picked at 13 out of Rona, TK or Kerevi. My thoughts on whether it’s a good or bad selection will probably depend on who’s picked at 12.

Reactions: dru
Status
Not open for further replies.