• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 16 - Reds vs Waratahs - Saturday 2 June - 7:45pm @ Suncorp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
On the Folau kneeing Toua in the head thing, I have no idea if he actually broke any laws but I’ve thought for a while that the balance has been skewed too far the way of the jumping player. I get why they are skewed that way but I don’t think the balance is right. This cemented it for me.

A player should have every right to stand his ground to try and take a catch without the risk of another player jumping into him without having any regard for his safety. I don’t for one second think Folau was doing anything deliberately but it showed that if the receiving player stands his ground, it can be quite dangerous for both players. I think the guy charging in should have at least some responsibility for this.

All that being said though, I don’t want to see a situation where someone deems it just too dangerous to jump to receive kicks and outlaws the practice altogether. No idea what the answer is. Just my thoughts.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Anyway, like I said, I don’t mind particularly who gets picked at 13 out of Rona, TK or Kerevi. My thoughts on whether it’s a good or bad selection will probably depend on who’s picked at 12.

Well Scoey, we all know who will be at 12. The 13, whoever it is, will be competing with the winger for space on the ground.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Last night basically proved any cross field kick for Folau that lands in the field of play is nearly indefensible, 9/10 times the opposition are just hoping he drops which he hardly ever does. I will be interested to see if the Wallabies adopt the cross field kick as their default strategy if they receive penalty advantage in the 22. If they do it may open up some opportunities closer in as the opposition focus on shutting it down out wide.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Anyway, like I said, I don’t mind particularly who gets picked at 13 out of Rona, TK or Kerevi. My thoughts on whether it’s a good or bad selection will probably depend on who’s picked at 12.

Well Beale will be the 12, that is obvious

So then It comes down to who best suits how Cheika wants to play

Rona has the weekly relationship with Beale, is a solid defender, OK on attack and the best distributor to his wingers

TK is the best defender, OK on attack and very safe at test level

Kerevi is the best attacker and the least effective defender and his distribution is best short to units from depth - it lacks width

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Well Beale will be the 12, that is obvious

So then It comes down to who best suits how Cheika wants to play

Rona has the weekly relationship with Beale, is a solid defender, OK on attack and the best distributor to his wingers

TK is the best defender, OK on attack and very safe at test level

Kerevi is the best attacker and the least effective defender and his distribution is best short to units from depth - it lacks width

Legitimate question could you play Beale at 13 and Kerevi at 12?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
13 is the hardest position to defend. You wouldn’t move Beale there.

The more likely scenario if any is that Hodge gets picked on the wing and defends at 13 with Beale dropping back.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
The more likely scenario if any is that Hodge gets picked on the wing and defends at 13 with Beale dropping back.

If you're doing that then there is little reason to not play Kerevi at 13 (shifting into 12 in defence), but I've been really impressed with Kereiv's development of his game adding a genuine kicking and passing game (for a centre).

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
If you're doing that then there is little reason to not play Kerevi at 13 (shifting into 12 in defence), but I've been really impressed with Kereiv's development of his game adding a genuine kicking and passing game (for a centre).
That’s right - but I think the relevant issue here is Hodges form, which I don’t think warrants picking him in the starting team. It is an option, but not the one I hope to see.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
What a game......Can I have some more please sir!

Credit to the coaches as well as the players for producing such a cracker of a game.

I really am disappointed I won't get to watch Taquele play test rugby as every time he gets the ball you are on the edge in anticipation as breaks and stomps over so many defenders and always looking to make pop passes etc. Gees what a turnaround for him as almost reminds me of the great Jonah Lomu this season.....just so sad to see him leaving for Europe at the end of the year. Another player for you to buy back twiggy!

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
What a game..Can I have some more please sir!

Credit to the coaches as well as the players for producing such a cracker of a game.

I really am disappointed I won't get to watch Taquele play test rugby as every time he gets the ball you are on the edge in anticipation as breaks and stomps over so many defenders and always looking to make pop passes etc. Gees what a turnaround for him as almost reminds me of the great Jonah Lomu this season...just so sad to see him leaving for Europe at the end of the year. Another player for you to buy back twiggy!

The try he scored running over 3 players in the space of 5m only 1m out from the touchline was something else but not really hyped up because that's what you expect from him.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Stats I saw indicate that Kerevi didn’t miss a tackle last night.

I like Kerevi's attitude, he was pretty poor at choosing when to run and pass a couple of seasons ago (he would even hog it in a 2 on 1) but he worked pretty hard at that and now he makes good decisions when he has to decide whether to run or pass. His defence has been improving steadily particularly in the last little while and he's obviously been working hard on that as well. It might not be perfect all the time but he's definitely got the right attitude to improve and is why I think he will eventually nail down a spot in the test side long term.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Rugby Union definitely WON the game last night. That TLC feeling was in the air. Havent seen the reds faithful remain long after a beudiful:p game of rugby and connected with their young brave and valiant gladiators.Awesome sight to see 500 gathered at the sideline to thank the young lads for the effort. The Sun State is looking bright for a perfect day tomorrow year.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Opta sports (rugby stats app) gave him two last night and into equal first in the comp for missed tackles over the year with 35.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I'm looking at the same app and it's definitely worth lining up Kerevi v Kuridrani and looking at things other than missed tackles.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I wonder if Folau walked away from this game thinking "These Reds, Are a team i want to play for in 2019"

My answer is yes.

Folau would of seen the dominate scrum, the amazing talent in the backline and the never die attitude and met Brad Thorn in the hallway post game with his manager to nut out the contract details.

Ok Ok.. all fantasy on my behalf.. but the Reds are in good position for the Folau sweepstakes after last night.

Don't forget the temptation to escape the smashed avo munchers that take a holier than thou view on his beliefs.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
What is interesting is always thought Miller at 6 would be keeping spot warm for when Dempsey returns but really not so sure as Will Miller has been one of Tahs best all season for my mind.

Equally this has been the Jed Holloway many of us have waited so long to reappear. Keep him at lock with Stainforth very good bench option to come on later in the game (who also has improved with very good game last week).

Status
Not open for further replies.