• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 18 - Reds Vs Rebels - Jul 6, 7.45PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I agree, Stewart looks a long way off a Super Rugby flyhalf. I fear for the Reds if they intend for him to be the main man next year.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I agree, Stewart looks a long way off a Super Rugby flyhalf. I fear for the Reds if they intend for him to be the main man next year.

The genesis of all this is surely the sound forward squad planning that did not go on under Graham/Cordingly re (a) worthy back up(s) being carefully developed under or around QC (Quade Cooper) and (b) worsened or exemplified (take your pick) by Graham's teacher's pet-type love for Jake McIntyre when it was quickly obvious he was never going to make it as a Super Finals gaining Reds' 10 - just did not have the required temperament and skill set.

Into that wasteland came the arrogant, ill-considered Ballymore view that neither Mason nor Greene (both had excellent potential) were really needed for the Reds forward planning so both sought and found better pastures in the Tahs and in Japan.

When the penny finally dropped and McIntyre was gently told to move on or knew he had to, the panic set in and Stewart was rapidly grabbed and pronounced the next best thing at 10 alloyed to Thorn's still-puzzling total rejection of Cooper as 'not the direction we want to go in'.

All of the above being paralleled with much selection or recruitment stupidity elsewhere as new 'prestige' players were sought as 'the solution to get us winning again'.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)

I'm less worried about him being the main one...as I am him being the only one. DP and Lucas (if retained) are sub standard covers. Losing lance...hoping the one little rumours I heard of M.Harris is true.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Stewart is OK but that is probably all he will be.

A good lad with the potential to be as good as Lance nut not as good as Foley.

He has no "X" factor at all and the true champion 10's have that stuff in spades.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)

He has no "X" factor at all and the true champion 10's have that stuff in spades.

Not with today's Aussi Super 15 coaches. Any "X" factor by a fly half is regarded as not sticking to the game plan, just ask QC (Quade Cooper).

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)

100% S2050. I'm sure you and I have agreed here before that history clearly shows no team will ever win a Super Rugby Final without a high-grade 10 along the way.

Just won't happen.

I'll give Stewart some benefit of the early doubt but at present I see no evidence he has the makings of high-grade 10.

pissedoffihavetoregister

Bill Watson (15)
Don't most of the good 10's come up thru 7's now?

Foley, barrett, mckenzie.

Why don't we get the oz sevens, good playmakers, to spend time in 15's to see if they can make it?

Foley was good at 7's and jumped early. Why not make it easier for them to move over.

We really need some decent 10's and the pipeline isn't looking good.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Don't most of the good 10's come up thru 7's now?

Foley, barrett, mckenzie.

Why don't we get the oz sevens, good playmakers, to spend time in 15's to see if they can make it?

Foley was good at 7's and jumped early. Why not make it easier for them to move over.

We really need some decent 10's and the pipeline isn't looking good.
Nah, all 10s are 15s first.

That's why Folau was standing at first receiver a bunch -v- Ireland. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.