• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 5: Waratahs v Rebels SCG 1945 Saturday 19/3/22

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
Two weeks in a row that the tahs have pulled away in the first half only to drop off in the second. Can't afford to continue that against the reels next week.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I only watched the game this morning after seeing a number of social media posts prior, and you would have thought that Carter Gordon was the only player to have a bad game for the Rebels. If anything the Rebels look more structured and actually go forward when he is on the field. A couple of mistakes but a lot more good. That dead touch kick looked like Gordon was looking around for Hodge, but Hodge didn’t step up so Gordon rushed the kick because of the clock. I think he’s learnt his lesson there.
For Wallabies, To'omua, Hodge, Kellaway, and Ulese (and Powell) need to have a good hard look at themselves. For senior players at that level, it’s disappointing for the younger guys coming through. The Rebels have a massive coaching issue which needs to be sorted quickly for the integrity of Australian rugby.
Matt Phillip, Gordan, Hardwick, Ioane, Canham and Vaihu are all quality players.

Last edited:

Confucius Say

Arch Winning (36)
If Carter Gordon can square up to the try line he will be a much better proposition. His pass was very accurate last night but it is telegraphed and defensive patterns can relatively easily shift. I think he has so much potential but needs to square up so he can keep the opposite guessing if he is going to run, kick or pass. Watch Smith for England or Ntamack for France in this morning 6 Nation game. Look at the way Smith holds it up for England first try. It’s just a few degree different in body position but for a 10 or 12 it is critical. Carter default is to drift and angle his body. He can slightly vary that and watch the difference.

Hope the Rebel look to the long term keep CG at 10. Matt To’omua is now well past his use by date. And the 12 who played last night (Ray Nu’u) was excellent so Carter has a nice outside runner for when he selectively wants to utilise. Rebel now need a decent 15. Hodge is not quick enough, skilful enough or physical enough to play Super Rugby.

Lets hope To’omua is not mentoring Gordon…
The Rebel franchise need someone like Larkham, Ella or Horan to spend some time with Carter. And his outside supports should tag along for the tutorial so they know how to support him.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Tahs didn’t have a great game, but some players really showing what they’ve got. Holloway is solid and deserves to be named in the squad today. Really impressed with Harrison as fullback. Donaldson was okay but I’ve seen him play better. The return of Gordon and Swinton will put the Tahs in good contention with NZ teams. Well done.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
If Carter Gordon can square up to the try line he will be a much better proposition. His pass was very accurate last night but it is telegraphed and defensive patterns can relatively easily shift. I think he has so much potential but needs to square up so he can keep the opposite guessing if he is going to run, kick or pass. Watch Smith for England or Ntamack for France in this morning 6 Nation game. Look at the way Smith holds it up for England first try. It’s just a few degree different in body position but for a 10 or 12 it is critical. Carter default is to drift and angle his body. He can slightly vary that and watch the difference.

Hope the Rebel look to the long term keep CG at 10. Matt To’omua is now well past his use by date. And the 12 who played last night (Ray Nu’u) was excellent so Carter has a nice outside runner for when he selectively wants to utilise. Rebel now need a decent 15. Hodge is not quick enough, skilful enough or physical enough to play Super Rugby.

Lets hope To’omua is not mentoring Gordon…
The Rebel franchise need someone like Larkham, Ella or Horan to spend some time with Carter. And his outside supports should tag along for the tutorial so they know how to support him.
From the first time I saw Gordon play I knew he was going to be something special. A rocky start for the year for him and the team.
Ray Nu’u looks to be a better prospect at 12 then To'omua, so it will be tough decision where to put him other than the bench. To'omua up until last year was always the incumbent Wallabies 12 for me but he has certainly lost his spark, with many others in front of him. Today’s naming of the squad will be telling. Hodge pretty much is the same situation at To'omua.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I only watched the game this morning after seeing a number of social media posts prior, and you would have thought that Carter Gordon was the only player to have a bad game for the Rebels. If anything the Rebels look more structured and actually go forward when he is on the field. A couple of mistakes but a lot more good. That dead touch kick looked like Gordon was looking around for Hodge, but Hodge didn’t step up so Gordon rushed the kick because of the clock. I think he’s learnt his lesson there.
For Wallabies, To'omua, Hodge, Kellaway, and Ulese (and Powell) need to have a good hard look at themselves. For senior players at that level, it’s disappointing for the younger guys coming through. The Rebels have a massive coaching issue which needs to be sorted quickly for the integrity of Australian rugby.
Matt Phillip, Gordan, Hardwick, Ioane, Canham and Vaihu are all quality players.
I have a glass half view of rebels performance last night as was their best game so far and they actually had a chance to win it but poor line out throws not helping. Much improved overall team performance so have to credit that to coaching In part. The quality players you mention I agree. Matt philip in particular thought had strong game. I am not quite on the Gordon hype as comparison to other 10s made including from six nations game another poster made I thought poignant as not quite as sharp on controlling the game and providing the service - passes to put players though gaps by holding back the pass etc and other subtlies. I am sure he will get there though.

Ulesse’s star has diminished as just not quite fulfilling the potential we know he has. But yet injury played a part. I do wonder for the rebels whether kellaway better served at outside centre for the rebels but I guess that does not align with wallaby needs.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Another hodge type problem ie jack of all trades but master of none (at wallaby level at least) perhaps

I’ve never been a massive fan of Hodge.

he is a fantastic athlete, but not a very good natural rugby player. He should be given a single position and allowed to focus on that, instead he gets shunted around and never becomes very good at any of them.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I’ve never been a massive fan of Hodge.

he is a fantastic athlete, but not a very good natural rugby player. He should be given a single position and allowed to focus on that, instead he gets shunted around and never becomes very good at any of them.
Almost agree but in many ways he must in part be a decent natural rugby player to be able to play so many positions yes?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Hodge has had in the past had some magical moments for wallabies both on the wing and at 10 (most recently) so not going to buy into hodge not being a natural rugby player. Maybe his best behind him? Maybe not settling on one position inhibited his development? Either of those responses I can accept but not probably the not a natural rugby player.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I thought that was the Tahs words game this year. Way to many pushed passes and lost ball, way too many penalties, the lineout was rubbish and the communication between Harris and Grant at the scrum base just wasn't happening. I thought Grant had a poor game, after a very good one last week. The injuries are also a concern, with Bell, Cridge and Donaldson all going off. I think any other team would have beaten them.
Looking for positives, the defence was excellent, as it has been all year, massive improvement on last year, and they found a way to win when things weren't working, which is always a good sign. Individually, Holloway had another great game, Gamble was good and Harrison is really coming back into form. He's the smallest bloke on the paddock, but shit he's a tough little bugger.
Interesting that after Vaihu's first big run, Peitch shadowed him for the rest of the match and didn't miss him again, I would be interested to know how many one-on-ones he had on the big guy, but he showed real commitment. I like it!

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Horrible game, neither side had any composure or a plan, the Reds and Ponies are miles ahead
Reds and Ponies - daylight - then tahs, force and rebels. I don’t want to be negative but again I think we are heading to a challenging series of games against kiwi sides as the super rugby pacific model is flawed and does not seem a way RA and NZRU can get on the same page how to resolve it.