• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 5: Waratahs v Rebels SCG 1945 Saturday 19/3/22

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Three days out from game day and there seems little interest. Maybe its a foregone conclusion so there's nothing to discuss but I don't think so.

The Rebels will come good at some stage, they've got good players despite the injuries. The Waratahs took two steps backwards in the second half last week and if they don't correct the rubbish they put out then a well-drilled subbies team would have a shot this week. This game could be the banana skin that ruins the Waratah season.

So, what do both teams need to do to re-establish their credentials?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Referee Graham Cooper
AR1 Damon Murphy
AR2 Matt Kellahan
TMO James Leckie

I don't mind Cooper as a referee. Preferable to Murphy and Berry from a Tahs perspective in my view.

Injuries are the major concern at the moment. No Gordon this week and presumably no Porecki either. Hopefully Foketi is fine after his injury last week (he managed to stay on the field).

Lachie Swinton's ongoing injury concerns me. He's been out a while now and still has no return date.

I'd expect a very similar 23 to the one that played the Force. Hopefully we can play well for more than half an hour.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think it will be same team barring injuries. DC spoke about taking the wrong approach at half time and that being a lesson.

Tbf Force came out hard in the second after 22 unanswered points and our d held them out for long periods.

Tahs have always had a habit to take the foot off after early points or a comfortable 1st half margin. Hopefully DC can address this.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
1647410538941.png

Porecki and Cridge back. Jeremy Williams is out and we've reverted to a 5:3 bench.

Teddy Wilson on the bench for a potential debut as the reserve halfback.

Jamie Roberts returns on the bench as well.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Tell me about Teddy Wilson. Has he been preferred to Robertson, or is Robertson injured?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Tell me about Teddy Wilson. Has he been preferred to Robertson, or is Robertson injured?

Robertson out with a shoulder injury according to the release.

Teddy is the younger brother of Harry (the NSW one) and they are the sons of Wallaby David Wilson.

I think he went to Kings.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Well they're both Kings boys, a year apart. One is the son of a Scone farmer the other is the son of a World Cup winning Wallaby?

EDIT: Archer Holz also a Kings boys, add to Foketi and Pietsch, the team is full of them!

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Wow, these Wednesday afternoon team releases do feel really early for a Saturday game. Not complaining tho. Great to see Cridge and Porecki back, aside from that I'm still enjoying the understated consistency in selections, very positive.

I don't want to stray into criticism of the Rebels, but they're still hiding Gordon on the bench and sticking with To'omua as 10? Feels like a ceiling has been reached there, some time ago. But hey, as a Tahs fan, not complaining about that either.

Alex Ross (28)
Seven wallabies in that starting 15 for the Rebels. They will certainly not play poorly every game. Most worried about this one as a Tahs supporter

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Richard Hardwick gets promoted which is fair. Interesting to see Hanson has been kept out again, I thought Ma’afu went well.

Don’t know why Tuttle is back though. I liked Moses.
Its a struggle to follow the selection rationale for the Rebels. Carter is raw but hes got one hell of an upside. To'omua is all down.

Same thing to a lesser extent with Powell. He just doesn't cut it.

Anyway, if both teams play to form Tahs win comfortably.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Congratulations to Richard Hardwick who will be the 17th player to play 50 Super Rugby games for the Rebels.

No idea how Tuttle gets picked ahead of Sorovi. Happy to see Tonumaipea back in the starting line up.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
if the Rebels selections are not based on injuries then i am now convinced the selectors are complete F'wits !. Sorovi was good, Gordon has to start and then decide wether Too'mua or Nu'u are at 12 and stick with it. the front row merry go round continues, every week its a different set of reserve props, can Wallis play in the second row ? is RHP injured again, FFS they have had all pre-season and now 4 games to sort out who they think are their best 23 - fitness pending, just try to get some sort of cohesion, geez.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
if the Rebels selections are not based on injuries then i am now convinced the selectors are complete F'wits !. Sorovi was good, Gordon has to start and then decide wether Too'mua or Nu'u are at 12 and stick with it. the front row merry go round continues, every week its a different set of reserve props, can Wallis play in the second row ? is RHP injured again, FFS they have had all pre-season and now 4 games to sort out who they think are their best 23 - fitness pending, just try to get some sort of cohesion, geez.
We just fucking suck

The best we looked all season was with Gordon at 10 and To'omua at 12 and then we persist with To'omua at 10. It’s like the club is actively trying to turn fans off the Rebels