• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby 7s general chat

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
WHO is the IDIOT coach of Aussie 7s? He has one of the biggest weapons in the sport in Trae Williams, but brings him on when the match is already won or lost, for a minute or two.
Maurice Longbottom is the best attacking weapon in the team..

Whilst Trae has speed, he is defensively a bit average, he gets caught out in positioning quite a bit

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
Based on current standing the Oceania men's qualifying tournament will be hot with all of Samoa, Australia and Fiji competing for one spot!
The remaining two would then need to go to the repecharge where there is only one more spot

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
F2B102F4-599D-4CE9-BF04-4B4142FDAA97.jpeg

Last edited:

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Photos from Next Gens 7s Round 1

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I’ll put it here but the announcement could be anything. You’d assume it’s a long term deal with an option to play 15s RWC too. And a big check too hopefully.

Rugby Sevens World Champion Charlotte Caslick will be available to media today, as the Aussie Sevens Co-Captain makes a major announcement about her future in the sport.

Caslick is one of only two players Rugby Sevens players – male or female – to have won an Olympic gold medal, Commonwealth gold medal, Rugby World Cup, the HSBC World Rugby Sevens Series and multiple World Player of the Year awards.

Caslick will be supported by her coach, Tim Walsh for the major announcement, as the Aussie Sevens teams continue preparations for the HSBC Sydney 7s this week.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
She may want to see what RA does about getting the team together. I hope that's it anyway.

She wouldn't have been short of offers from the NRLW so it's a good job by RA to retain talent.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
She may want to see what Rugby Australia does about getting the team together. I hope that's it anyway.

She wouldn't have been short of offers from the NRLW so it's a good job by Rugby Australia to retain talent.

The delay in the CBA has really made planning and signing talent difficult for both the NRLW clubs and the players themselves. Most of them are still unsigned for the upcoming season. Which has added a degree of uncertainty. And despite the increase in the salary cap the pot still isn't that deep.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
She may want to see what Rugby Australia does about getting the team together. I hope that's it anyway.

She wouldn't have been short of offers from the NRLW so it's a good job by Rugby Australia to retain talent.

Had the opportunity to catch up with Caslick whilst she was back 'home' over the holiday period.

She again mentioned (I say that for context as I've posted it here before) that the Aussie 7's staff have made it pretty clear she shouldn't get involved with any 15s programs whilst she's in her prime for the 7s team. And she obviously doesn't need the extra cash.

That could all change, particularly with Eddie taking over in what I imagine will be a Director of Rugby type role with the Wallaroos. But yeh, I don't think we'll see her lace up soon.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
The delay in the CBA has really made planning and signing talent difficult for both the NRLW clubs and the players themselves. Most of them are still unsigned for the upcoming season. Which has added a degree of uncertainty. And despite the increase in the salary cap the pot still isn't that deep.
Good point. It's part of what's really annoyed me about people thinking the players are being brats. It's got such big flow down effects.

Had the opportunity to catch up with Caslick whilst she was back 'home' over the holiday period.

She again mentioned (I say that for context as I've posted it here before) that the Aussie 7's staff have made it pretty clear she shouldn't get involved with any 15s programs whilst she's in her prime for the 7s team. And she obviously doesn't need the extra cash.

That could all change, particularly with Eddie taking over in what I imagine will be a Director of Rugby type role with the Wallaroos. But yeh, I don't think we'll see her lace up soon.
Good for her. She deserves everything she gets from the sport. Even at this point she is one of the most accomplished Rugby players Australia has had. She's won everything she could and has the chance to do a lot more.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

To be fair, I think that's the message to most even development 7s players as well.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
To be fair, I think that's the message to most even development 7s players as well.

Oh yep definitely, wasn't trying to say it is exclusive to her. Was more just the fact that it's not something being actively encouraged.

I would have been very surprised if there was a formal mention of her playing 15s as part of this extension.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
NZ 7s players from the RWC final

7. Sarah Hirini (16)
11. Portia Woodman (24)
12. Theresa Fitzpatrick (17)
13. Stacey Fluhler (24)
14. Ruby Tui (9)

I don't see why it's an issue crossing over

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Good point. It's part of what's really annoyed me about people thinking the players are being brats. It's got such big flow down effects.

Certainly not the women. Many may look at the jump from $350k to $884k and think that's a pretty significant jump but considering the season is doubling thus requiring deeper squads it's really not much of a per game jump. Certainly nowhere near enough for most of them to focus 100% on football as a career. With many balancing full time jobs with training 15 odd hours a week.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
His raw talent is speed. He’s in competition with players who have a far more rounded skill set to play the game of Rugby & Rugby 7s. Catch, pass, tackle, decision making etc… Coaching staff would see much more of him than we do at training and lower tier competitions.

I’m not 100% sure but was Manenti even the coach that brought him over to 7s?

There are plenty of Rugby players that haven’t had half the opportunities that Williams has been given.

I hope he turns out to be a gun and goes to the Olympics with the team. It’s not like the team is killing it this season so far but I just think his ceiling may not be at that level.