• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby 7s general chat

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I could see Sydney potentially trying to do it and firing up Olympic Park again since the facilities are still there. Pool, Hockey, Netball, Gymnastics centres etc... Along with Accor for Track & Field.

Love this move.

I understand they sell to governments on multi year deals but the event would be so much better if it moved around Australia annually.
I agree I'd love to see it be a bit of a touring circus. It's 7s afterall... I know the Olympics have added a level of seriousness to it though.

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
Two years is probably about right. Get the fans to drive year one then when its a big show bring the extras. Next year start again in the next city

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Dubai – 2-3 Dec, 2023
Cape Town – 9-10 Dec, '23
Perth – 26-28 Jan, 2024
Vancouver – 23-25 Feb, '24
Los Angeles – 2-3 Mar, '24
Hong Kong – 5-7 April '24
Singapore – 3-5 May '24
Madrid – 31 May-2 Jun, '24

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
I wonder if Perth got up in part as the time zones align better to South Africa and Europe, particularly in summer. That is where the broadcast dollars will be.

The cash from the WA Gov helps too

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Australia Day weekend in Perth? Gonna be brutal conditions inside the stadium.
Yeah but It can be everywhere. Was looking forward to going if it was at the SFS tbh. The concourse area between the SFS & SCG is perfect for all the Shenanigans.

Not mad about Perth getting it. I personally want it to move around every couple of years if possible. It is a fun way to spruik the game.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
IMG_8713.jpeg

I reckon if he wants to and can cop it he’s good for the program.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
If he doesn’t I hope he’s not picked. Take him to a couple tournaments to see how he goes. Could be better than parachuting a Wallaby in just at Olympic time which seems to disrupt more than anything.

Toole, Pietsch should be looked at for the Olympics without doubt.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Also, might sound down on the 7s boys but I’d back Hoops to be a better Rugby player than most, if not all of them. I know 7s is it’s own thing but they’d be in Super Rugby if they could.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
If he doesn’t I hope he’s not picked. Take him to a couple tournaments to see how he goes. Could be better than parachuting a Wallaby in just at Olympic time which seems to disrupt more than anything.

Toole, Pietsch should be looked at for the Olympics without doubt.
Toole can probably go back and forth relatively easily, but I think another 7s stint would set Pietsch’s wallabies hopes back a fare way.