• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby 7s general chat

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
England, Scotland & Wales have again been awarded points.

Would surely be fairer to give them just one point per tournament which would then be ignored under the "best seven/ four" rule.
If the rules aren't made known before the comp starts then the suits at HQ can tailor the system to ... ahh ... suit.

1. Put out a teaser, but with zero details.

2. Provide some detail.

3. But do something different again on the website standings.

It's all a bit sneaky.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
He’s only on an academy contract. My money is he’ll be offered a 7s contract pretty quickly.

Adam, ALF is interesting isn’t she? She’s a legit 15s playing player 7s but gets away with it because she’s a freak. She’d be Horan-like at 12 for the Wallaroos.

in 7s, she gives away too many head high tackles and makes some basic mistakes. But does some brilliant stuff (offload game is exceptional) and she brings an aggression much needed with no Parry or Quirk, even Green.
Yeh makes sense to get him 7s contract given would be on low dollars with academy contract.

BTw how much do sevens players earn - thought something like 200k? But yes surely you offer him a sevens contract ASAP as big call but already looking one of the best sevens players globally. As his pace, ability to accelerate through holes and find the tryline is perfect sevens material and pretty freakish. Oh and has the defensive game.

Last edited:

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
So with nz & Samoa most likely unable to get home after the Spanish legs do WR (World Rugby) just go with invitations to 2 European sides?

Also been zero word on the world cup qualifying tournament, would be a disaster for pacific rugby if we just got in on rankings

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Yeh makes sense to get him 7s contract given would be on low dollars with academy contract.

BTw how much do sevens players earn - thought something like 200k? But yes surely you offer him a sevens contract ASAP as big call but already looking one of the best sevens players globally. As his pace, ability to accelerate through holes and find the tryline is perfect sevens material and pretty freakish. Oh and has the defensive game.

I thought base contracts were around $100k.

Some of the women have been on bigger money since they won gold at the last last Olympics. I believe Caslick with contract and endorsements was on around $350k in recent years.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I thought base contracts were around $100k.

Some of the women have been on bigger money since they won gold at the last last Olympics. I believe Caslick with contract and endorsements was on around $350k in recent years.

She should be on 3 times that for what shes does for the game

Last edited:

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Is this usa 7 league chance for bigger money - $1m prize money - additional circuit to play in. Not close to detail on this whether this could be extra pay day for sevens players

Potentially. But at the moment only on the men's side in regards to the one offering the $1m prize pool next year.

They've made a fairly vague statement regarding their future plans that would likely involve international teams competing with a bunch of US based teams (they suggested plans to expand to a 17 event schedule featuring up to 16 US based franchises) for m 2023 onwards. No idea if it would involve similar prize pools. Or if they intend to implement a women's section.

What we do know is that it will be linked to a betting platform.

We'll have to wait and see if it actually happens. Pre-Covid I suspect the same group under a different name tried to launch a very similar concept after around 12 years on 'next year' statements.

The other league that ran its proof of concept in October was Premier Rugby 7s who will have a womens section and have committed to equal pay but I suspect they're looking more domestically for talent.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Tim Walsh and John Manenti swapping coaching roles
Is this part of a narrative where Rugby Australia are downgrading the 7s program?

As odd as this sounds, it seems like a demotion for both coaches.

Walsh, because he's already been there done that, reached the peak with the women's team. Was starting to show gains with the men's team.

Manenti, becuse they're stripping money out the men's setup. Phone it in enough to meet WR (World Rugby) requirements and put in the minimum to get the government sports grants.... ?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It’s because RA are saying that the womens 7s team is their priority and they want the best coach coaching them.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
It’s because RA are saying that the womens 7s team is their priority and they want the best coach coaching them.

Which I can kind of understand. They've been more successful and notably are far more marketable than the men's squad. We need more girls and women in particular to engage with the sport and pushing these girls to the fore is smart in my opinion.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Does what they're saying rule out what I'm saying, though?

Women's series under Manenti: 1st, 4th, 2nd.
Women's series under Walsh: 2nd, 3rd, 1st , 2nd ... and now in 2022, possibly 1st, maybe 2nd.

Being real, the Aus women's team is the second-ranked team and that's unlikely to change through to 2024.

Dubai was a good news story for both men and women after the debacle of Tokyo. No NZ tho.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Does what they're saying rule out what I'm saying, though?

Women's series under Manenti: 1st, 4th, 2nd.
Women's series under Walsh: 2nd, 3rd, 1st , 2nd ... and now in 2022, possibly 1st, maybe 2nd.

Being real, the Aus women's team is the second-ranked team and that's unlikely to change through to 2024.

Dubai was a good news story for both men and women after the debacle of Tokyo. No NZ tho.

But Fiji and USA there. All squads are going through renewals. Who's to say NZ aren't going through the same?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
But Fiji and USA there. All squads are going through renewals.
And Fiji could overtake Australia. The US aren't quite there yet on finesse but can play with physicality combined with speed.

Smash-mouth football is exactly the type of game to unlock the Aussie girls. Bash 'em and we can't match it.

Who's to say NZ aren't going through the same?
I'll say it: they'll be the benchmark ... Here first.

Last edited:

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
And Fiji could overtake Australia. The US aren't quite there yet on finesse but can play with physicality combined with speed.

Smash-mouth football is exactly the type of game to unlock the Aussie girls. Bash 'em and we can't match it.

Will they be back for Spain?

If we cant get teams to cross the ditch in feb I cant see them being able to get back from Europe

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

yes...you are the first person to suggest a NZ rugby team is the benchmark....

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Dunno. Someone more connected than me is better to ask -- but they've been anticipated in the draw:

If NZ don't play in Spain, the question mark on the series leaders as the benchmark just gets postponed until they do, IMO.

I really hope for Samoan rugby's sake they do!

Knowing our luck we will loose after the final whistle in the group stage v nz then cop rsa in the 1/4 AGAIN

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Will they be back for Spain?

If we cant get teams to cross the ditch in feb I cant see them being able to get back from Europe

On their return from Spain they'll only have to isolate at home for a week & return a negative test before getting out.

Edit: home isolation doesn't start til mid-Feb so if they come straight home it'll be ten days in MIQ. Rather than waste that prep time, I wonder if the men might head to Canada instead.

Last edited: