• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby 7s general chat

pissedoffihavetoregister

Bill Watson (15)
Historically, its always seems like OZ does better early in the season, till the other teams get their feet. Its great this year as The dark ones are not there as they seem to rag doll the small players, but we seem to be picking the larger/taller girls now so hopefully that won't happen so much down the road.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Props to womens and mens 7 teams as woman won second cup in a row whilst aussies could have won it near the death with an opportunity but not to be but the way the men are playing it is more when and not if they win a cup title for these series.

I had the impression that there was less investment being put into australia sevens so thought with woman and men (esp.after olympics performance) that we would end up middle bunch of the pack but impressive talent in both women and mens team coming through - mixed with good base of experience.

Future looks lot brighter for womens and mens teams after a couple of lean to middling years.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I have not watched the games yet, but will tonight. I like the optimism, but would add a note of caution. The Keewees are not in the mix yet.

Yes I was going to say, post-Olympics a lot of teams are likely going through some transition of players, programs etc.

Looks like the Aussies are mixing things up a bit in terms of selections. Positive signs to start, and it will be interesting once they come out with a formal plan moving forward for how they want to run the 7s program and integrate it with 15s player availability.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I have not watched the games yet, but will tonight. I like the optimism, but would add a note of caution. The Keewees are not in the mix yet.
Yeh I had that in the back of the mind but wanted to avoid mentioning that to focus on the positives. Interestingly Fiji men not as strong given rebuilding again with new team but you know they will get there. Whilst Fiji women also big improvers.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yes I was going to say, post-Olympics a lot of teams are likely going through some transition of players, programs etc.

Looks like the Aussies are mixing things up a bit in terms of selections. Positive signs to start, and it will be interesting once they come out with a formal plan moving forward for how they want to run the 7s program and integrate it with 15s player availability.
RA talked about integrating 7s with 15s player availability and so far seeing benefits with toole. Gees that kid got some gass and brilliant acceleration through holes. He looks the biggest X factor in sevens since perry baker.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah - most teams in a transition stage. But so too are Australia. Both the men’s and women’s teams are filled with players for whom the Dubai series were their first and second carnivals. Completely agree that the return of NZ will throw up a new challenge and I also assume Fiji in particular + the US & England will improve significantly over the cycle. But the Aussies can only beat who they play and they were very impressive. As far as I am aware (but happy to be corrected) South Africa sent a close fo full strength, albeit also rejuvenated, squad and we took them to within an inch of winning. The other teams will improve but our men and women are only just starting out too. It was obvious our women were the strongest at the breakdown they’ve been, probably ever, and also probably their fittest for a while while still having all the skill and speed which has been their bread and butter. The men seem to be suddenly full of speed and skill (and that was without Longbottom) - although they do seem to me to be lacking one or two really big guys - a lot will rest on Paterson (who looked good), Billy Meakes (some good and bad moments - but I think showed enough to think he’ll get better) and Vosaicake (who looks promising). Henry Hutchinson’s evolvution from flying winger to something of a roving, ball playing power forward is paying divdends too.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

i don’t care. I think the Aussie women will match up well with them and, frankly, need the competition. Regardless the fact that, even putting aside Caslick and Williams looking as sharp as ever, the role that Nathan, Ashby, Dick and Hayes are playing is fantastic. Add it the rough diamond in ALF and the even more raw Levi’s and Whitfield make this the generational change we probably needed post Rio.

As for the men, again. Stuff the kiwis. 1) we don’t know where they will be from a generational change perspective. But 2) we can only beat who we play and the way this Squad has come together, only half on actual contracts I believe, i deserves our acclaim.

We can consider the kiwis when they turn up.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
ALF is rough but jeez she’s strong in contact, manages to find offloads and dominate in tackles, a strong addition to the team. Just needs to tidy up some of the high tackles and running lines.

Nathan and Ashby are looking fantastic, they’re quick and have great passing skills which is letting them play the wide game, taking some of the playmaking pressure off Caslick. Hayes seems to have taken her running game up a level as well, some of her foot work is really impressive for a tall girl.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
i don’t care. I think the Aussie women will match up well with them and, frankly, need the competition. Regardless the fact that, even putting aside Caslick and Williams looking as sharp as ever, the role that Nathan, Ashby, Dick and Hayes are playing is fantastic. Add it the rough diamond in ALF and the even more raw Levi’s and Whitfield make this the generational change we probably needed post Rio.

As for the men, again. Stuff the kiwis. 1) we don’t know where they will be from a generational change perspective. But 2) we can only beat who we play and the way this Squad has come together, only half on actual contracts I believe, i deserves our acclaim.

And we played very well against the boks which really been as good if not better then kiwis in recent years. Given as you say only half on contracts this has exceeded expectations so far the performances of men and women with some obvious great new oz rugby 7 talent on show.

So given Toole paid by brumbies wonder how that will work ie will he continue to be available as he is an absolute gun in sevens with genuine electric pace and great attacking threat.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

I was not actually criticising their performance, Reg, just adding a note of realism given that in my long lifetime I have seen the Keewees beat us far too often (in the Mens, the Womens is a different matter).

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
And we played very well against the boks which really been as good if not better then kiwis in recent years. Given as you say only half on contracts this has exceeded expectations so far the performances of men and women with some obvious great new oz rugby 7 talent on show.

So given Toole paid by brumbies wonder how that will work ie will he continue to be available as he is an absolute gun in sevens with genuine electric pace and great attacking threat.
He’s only on an academy contract. My money is he’ll be offered a 7s contract pretty quickly.

Adam, ALF is interesting isn’t she? She’s a legit 15s playing player 7s but gets away with it because she’s a freak. She’d be Horan-like at 12 for the Wallaroos.

in 7s, she gives away too many head high tackles and makes some basic mistakes. But does some brilliant stuff (offload game is exceptional) and she brings an aggression much needed with no Parry or Quirk, even Green.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
England, Scotland & Wales have again been awarded points.

Would surely be fairer to give them just one point per tournament which would then be ignored under the "best seven/ four" rule.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Everyone cheering France because they're playing awesome rugby.

And everyone is fkn sick of the Blitzbokke. EDIT: OK it's me. I'm sick of them. The leg up they get from officials is right up there with NZ.
Spoiler Alert.

There always seems to be one or two players who get under my skin every tournament. This time, it is Pretorius from SA. Very good player, no doubt, but has the knack of not being penalised when offending. I mentioned to my son early in the final that he, Pertorius, would do some shit and win the game for the Bokke. And so it came to pass. Two turnover penalties won when not releasing the tackled player. The second one was on Meakes on the 22m line in front with the Aussies leading 7 - 5, with less than 2 minutes to play. Kick for touch, lineout on halfway and play leads to the winning try practically on fulltime, by Pretorius no less. Should have been a penalty Australia in front with a good chance to play the game out, or even score again themselves.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Everyone is contributing - loss of Longbottom would have been massive a year or two ago, but right now they're covering it. No fear.
Josh Turner one of the stars. Also like the look of Paterson - a bit of Cheval about his looks and the way he plays.

Last edited: